Newbie Local Channel Sat 72 Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mullva

Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I already have a triple HD dish setup with my HR-250 reciever. I am trying to add a second dish to pick up the local channels (required in my market).

I have installed the second dish myself (thinking it was going to be easy!) I have the elevaiton, tilt, etc, set the same as my oval dish, but I am having trouble tuning in the 72' sat. I run the auto-config, but it only finds the three "main" sats.

What is the easiest way to tune the new sat in?
When they say "72' ", exactly what does that mean?
If you are facing south, doesn't that put the sats in the 150' -220' compass bearings?

Thanks in advance

You're trying to do exactly what I want to do, but you are ahead of me in that I don't have a 2nd 18" dish yet. I also don't have the required 6x8 multiswitch (I can't post links yet: solidsignal[dot]com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=SAM-6802), do you? Otherwise there is nothing that will allow both tuners in your HR10-250 to see all 4 sats.

You need to go to this site (home[dot]wxs[dot]nl/~napel/sataim.htm) to aim the 2nd dish. Put in 72 deg 30 min for the satellite location. If you don't know your longitude and latitude, there is also a link there to geographic places.

Let me know how it goes. If it's a bear, I might have 2nd thoughts about ordering an expensive multiswitch.

You might try a search on 72.5 on this site, I think someone posted a manual on the 72.5 thing a bit ago.

There is a good walkthrough in the FAQ section. I basically followed that. I had the same problems you had so I actually bought a cheap sat finder and hooked it up to the 72 dish. I set all the bearing and finally got a signal. than I hooked the dish up to the 5x8 zinwell switch and put my reciever on 110 for signal strength meter and it showed the strength. it didn't work on the 101 signal strength meter for some reason. I than did a autoconfig and it took several mins but than the satellite showed up. It's tricky but finding the sat is harder than 101. A cheap satfinder will save you an hour trying to hunt it down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)