Newbie looking for Telstar 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kamui09

Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
Hello world! I am new to FTA so I got plenty of questions. :D Starting out with a goal to retrieve Telstar 5 broadcasts, I picked up a Winegard DS-2076 and standard single LNB (ESC321). Its mounted onto a 3' pole stuck in a bucket of concrete (about 80 lbs) on my apartment balcony. I got it as level and plumb as humanly possible. Its now connected to a Twinhan 1020a with some RG6 cables. Now here comes the good part, I live in Anaheim, CA so I believe my Elevation and Azimuth for Telstar 5 is 41.276 and 113.62 (roughly accomodated for magnetic declination), respectively. I used the ProgFinder II program to look at the signal strength and quality strength. The best I could do was get 80% on signal strength. I get nothing on quality strength.

Any ideas??? :confused:

For Anaheim, CA I get the following
44.8 elevation
145.6 azimuth (subract between 10-15 for magnetic deviation)

signal strength doesnt mean anything. Its QUALITY that matters :)
Key thing to remember is KU is harder to get. When you get in the neighborhood, move it 1/4" at a time and wait 3-5 seconds beofre continuing.

I dont have a card, but some here do. They should be able to help from that point.

I found it from some site. It must be wrong. I'll give your elevations and azimuth a try.

If I get a signal strength, does that mean I am at least on the right track? I am at least hitting a satellite up there, right?

Also, I have a LNB question. Since this Winegard has a universal clamp, how far should it be sitting when I mount it? Should the neck be pulled all the way out (away from this dish) or all the way in? Am I suppose to have it pointing at about 7 o'clock for skew if I am standing in front of it and staring at it?

Thanks for the help.

I worked it out for SF. CA.

Elevation= 39 deg.
True Magnetic Azim.=127 deg.

As for the skew its -29 deg. thats anti clock wise from in front to of the dish.

Is your dish in the balcony? A lot of times the elevation of the satellite signal is so steep that whatever is over hanging/above the dish cause's partial or total blockage of the signal, this happens often in apartment installs. If not follow Icebergs advice above, start with the LNBF as far away from the dish as it will go then you can tweak it for MAXIMUM signal quality when you get some, remember the signal strength means nothing at this point, don't even look at it, it will just waste your time! good luck.

I use these coordinates to find T5 (IA5)

Channel= Irib
Freq.= 11836
Pol.=V
S/R=20765

A word of advice, junk the ProgFinder II program. Either buy a signal stregnth meter, which I got on ebay for $11 shipped, or anything else besides that program. I had nothing but problems with it.

I had the same problem at first. Just try to rotate the antenna with very small increments. Just a gentle move from my current position leads to lost signal. Also after each move it might take 4-5 seconds for the receiver to pick up the signal.

Good luck

Get a good compus and find the right angle for the sat. Then start turning it in a given range. Use all the numbers you have so far and do a +- 10 degrees. You should be able to find it then. Please write back when you do.

Good luck
Ken

I got a very good inclinometer in Home Depot for about $9.00 the other day.

RJB

What!? I asked them for a simple compass the other day and they told me to go to walmart for one. I do recall a inclinometer there. I'll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)