Newbie, need advice

artm

Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Boston, MA
Hello all, first post here. I'll be leaving Comcast and have decided on Dish primarily because their 250 package includes FSC and GolTV for less cost than Direct and I need to add the Greek programming. I do have some questions, forgive me if they may be simple but I have put in some time reading this forum and am cancelling Comcast this week, so am pressed for time. FYI, my address is . Boston, MA 02130. I'd prefer to install the dish on the rear of the house, SW corner, 2nd floor, pointing SW.

1. Is this an ideal location for Dish? Which satellite(s) would I use?

2. Would I need a second dish for the Greek programming?

3. If I cannot have the dish installed where I like can I cancel the installation job without oweing anything?

4. I currently have 2 SD TV's but will be purchasing at least one HDTV soon. So, which models should I ask for? I assume they all output SD so I can use them until I switch to HD. I do want one DVR. From what I read I do not want the 922 which has some issues.

5. I may want the DVR to do PIP. If so, do I want to select other models? Which ones?

6. Wiring: will Dish use the same coax as Comcast or are we doing new wiring? I will be keeping Comcast Internet on the existing wiring.

7. If new wiring is required how far would an installer go to do this? I do have one TV in a room where a line would need to be fished up the wall, into the attic space - which is quite tight. Of course, if he can use the existing coax then this can be avoided.

I hope I've provided enough info to get good answers. Feel free to thrash me if I have not...

-Art

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Art, first welcome to the forum! I will try to help with questions 1 - 3.

1. Being in the east most likely you will be setup with the eastern arc (E.A.) Dish 1000.4 It would use the 61.5, 72.7 and 77 west satellites. This would require a South East direction for the dish.

2. Not sure but most of the international programming is on the 118.7 satellite. At the top of this page there is a DishChannelChart link, try searching the 118.7 satellite for the Greek programming you are interested in. Also check the 61.5 satellite as I think some international programming might be on it too.

3. Yes - if you do not sign the contract.

Maybe others will chime in on the other questions.

Hope this helps, DC

artm said:
Hello all, first post here. I'll be leaving Comcast and have decided on Dish primarily because their 250 package includes FSC and GolTV for less cost than Direct and I need to add the Greek programming. I do have some questions, forgive me if they may be simple but I have put in some time reading this forum and am cancelling Comcast this week, so am pressed for time. FYI, my address is . Boston, MA 02130. I'd prefer to install the dish on the rear of the house, SW corner, 2nd floor, pointing SW.

3. If I cannot have the dish installed where I like can I cancel the installation job without oweing anything?

4. I currently have 2 SD TV's but will be purchasing at least one HDTV soon. So, which models should I ask for? I assume they all output SD so I can use them until I switch to HD. I do want one DVR. From what I read I do not want the 922 which has some issues.

5. I may want the DVR to do PIP. If so, do I want to select other models? Which ones?

6. Wiring: will Dish use the same coax as Comcast or are we doing new wiring? I will be keeping Comcast Internet on the existing wiring.

7. If new wiring is required how far would an installer go to do this? I do have one TV in a room where a line would need to be fished up the wall, into the attic space - which is quite tight. Of course, if he can use the existing coax then this can be avoided.

I hope I've provided enough info to get good answers. Feel free to thrash me if I have not...

-Art

Goltv is not carried on Dish. It is on DIRECTV though.

Click on the link for dishpointer.com at the top of this page. Put in your address and it will let you know if you can "see" the required satellites. You do need a clear look at the southeastern sky if you want HD programing in Massachusets.

Not sure but I believe most international is on the 118.7 sat which looks southwest. Check dishchannel.com at the top of the page. If you need the 118.7 sat you will need an additional dish.

The installer should check line of site before he begins the installation. In any event do not sign anything until you are satisfied that you are receiving all the signals you are supposed to. Make sure that your dish(s) have been peaked!

You have several options for receivers. Go the dish site and read the specs on them. The duo HD receivers have two tuners, an HDMI output on tuner 1 for HD and an RF output on tuner 2 for SD. You can also ask for a duo DVR (722K). This box can either send signal two 2 TV's, one HD from the HDMI output, and a second TV via RF output. Again read up on the specs for more details. You can also operate this receiver in single mode and you then can have PIP. There are other things you can do for PIP but that is another conversation.

Since you are keeping comcast internet you will need additional coax. I have no idea if the signals can be mixed but it probably isn't a good idea. Depending on what is in your house some of the wiring might be usable, that may be up to the installer. There is a basic amount of cable that can be run to complete the install without additional charges. Maybe one of the installers on the forum can help you out, with that info. Unless you have need exceptionally long cable runs I believe that the allowances are usually sufficient

-Art

Good Luck

Ross

If you are willing to go to Directv instead, I can get you $350 credit over and beyond their current new customer offer. Send me an email.

Also, Dish doesn't have GOLTV, but DirectTV does.

Last edited:
Mitch,

Well, to go with D I need their Premier package, for FSC and GolTV, which alone costs more than E with HDDVR at $55 or so. I also need the Greek package, $35 at E.

But I'll consider what you say, of course. I am aware of a Best Buy promotion.

Email me directly: amjas@earthlink.net as I can'e pm you since I have less than three posts and you don;t display a public email address.

-Art

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)