Newbie need some help with satellite installation

jhawk2002

Original poster
May 12, 2009
Atlanta
Hi all. Having a little trouble with my dish and wondering if anyone could help me out...

I have a dish plus with 129, 119, 110, 118 lnb's. I recently lost my hd channels. I think this was due to an increase in tree foliage due to excessive spring weather in the Atlanta area. I didn't want to pay dish another 100 bucks to come out so I figured I'd do it myself. Leaving everything the same I installed a bracket about 5 feet higher than the original bracket. I removed the dish and placed it in the higher bracket with the same configuration. When I turned on the dish box and went to the meter to see how strong the signal was for 110 it said it was locked in on the wrong sat, 119. The signal was about 60-65. So I figured I would move it back down. After moving it back down, I got my 110 and 118 signals back but still didn't have 119 or 129. I got back my channels but still no hd. So I called my friend who knows a little bit and he told me to move it left/right at the higher bracket. So I reinstalled and loosened the sat to move left/right. Now I can't even get a signal. Does moving up the satellite 5 feet vertically mess up everything? Do I have to have different skew, azimuth and elevation? Should I just call dish and for over the 99 bucks? Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no change in alignment caused by raising the dish five feet. However unless the original pole was perfectly plumb and the new one is also perfectly plumb, and you hit exactly the same azimuth, you will probably have some minor tweaking to do.

Rotating the dish on the pole will select the appropriate satellites on the LNBs. Set your receiver on the Check Dish display to a 119 transponder. Once you are on 119 you can rotate the dish slightly back and forth to maximize the signal level. Tighten the bolts and make sure you haven't shifted anything in the process.

Once that is done, and without loosening the elevation bolts, nudge the bottom of the dish up and down to see if that improves the level on the Check Dish display. If it does you can loosen the elevation bolts a hair to adjust the dish to the best position and retighten.

Hopefully you won't have to adjust skew, and if you do make sure you mark the original setting so you can get back to it. This would require checking the levels on both 110 and 129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)