Newbie Needing Help On D*TV DVR To Computer To LCD TV, Please..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

His Self

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Post edited to reduce font size...

I've had my Samsung D*TV DVR for about 18 months now and added an Olevia 26 " HD-Ready LCD TV in November. I have an extra computer I want to connect to this set up, comprised of an AMD 2800, 1.5 GB PC 3200 memory, a 160 GB HD, a 200 GB HD, Pioneer 2X DVD burner, 8X Lite-on Dual Layer DVD-burner, onboard ethernet, ATI 9600 128 MB AGP videocard, 6 USB 2.0 ports. Running Windows XP SP2, Nero Ultra Edition, SlySoft AnyDVD, DVD Shrink, Win DVD Platinum.

My thinking is I would need to go from the feed of the Samsung D*TV DVR to a video capture device/card in the computer and from the computer to the Olevia 26" LCD TV (which has connection ports for it) Of course the Samsung D*DVR has dual receiver connections for watching one channel while recording another or for recording 2 simultaneously.

The end goal is to be able to make use of the much larger hard drives on the computer for additional storage and to burn some of the saved programs to DVDs and to keep all my media recording/burning in a central location...

So my question is, in the under $200. range, what is the best route to go on the hardware for the hook up? Am I better off with swapping out my present videocard with an ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 Edition 256 MB AGP - 100-714145 Videocard or would I be better off with some kind of video capture break-out box and if so, what are the some good reccomendations ?

...and if it's at all possible I would like to be able to still use the ethernet port for accessing my StarBand Internet. If not then I will keep it offline and use my other computers for online.

...and if anybody has links for sites with possible layout diagrams or walkthroughs for accomplishing similar goals, I would appreciate it. I've spent several days looking for info to no avail..

We had our landline phones disconnected and have gone 368 days without the D*TV DVR phoning home :D Of course that means if my D*TV DVR needs to update in order to tie into my computer, them I'm screwed :eek:

....and I do understand it might be easier to install a larger hard drive on my D*TV DVR and add in a stand alone DVD burner...but that would not be as versatile as a computer set up to do the same thing (which also serves well for MP3s) and would involve purchasing equipment which would likely cost more than a good videocapture card/device..

Any help or advice is surely appreciated.
Thanks, J.R.

Last edited:
My apologies, I was on the computer outputting to a Dell 20.5" LCD set at a 1680 X 1050 resolution... When I switched over to the one connected to a 19" CRT with a 1024 X 768 resolution, the large font size became painfully apparent.. tried it at 800 X 600 an realized even Helen Keller could have read it...

Ain't nuthin' like pissin' off the very folks a body is askin' fer help, is what my Granny would have said ...an smacked me upside the head whilst she was at it...
siiiigh...

I would go back and edit it to a smaller font...but that strikes me as trying to pretend I had not made a major mistake and thus insulted mine hosts..
Better to be thought a fool than that..

I do thank you for at least taking the time to read my post though.
Thanks, J.R.

Upon advice I have reduced the font in my first post to a smaller sze...which was far too large.. Mea Culpa

Last edited:
What is the model number on the DVR? As for passing it through a computer, if it's an SD DVR, you'd need a capture device, the proper software such as MCE on the computer and the right card to output the video. If it's an HD DVR, your SOL, there is no way to capture HD outputted by the HR10-250.

Lower the font size please, you'll probably get a better response to your question, most people are not going to bother reading it if it's a pain to read.

Thank you, I have done so and made note to that effect. My Bad..

My DVR is a Samsung S R S4040R and no it's not Hi Def. I'm running XP SP2, but can format and install Media Center Edition on the computer without any problems. I know I have to have a video capture device, but do not know whether I'm better off with an internal card or an external USB 2.0 device. I don't know wheteher I better off keeping the ATI 9600 and adding a video capture card...or whether an ATI All-In-Wonder card would do everything I need if I replaced the 9600 with it ? Should I go with the Win TV-PVR-500MCE or 2 of the Haupage Win-TV-PVR 250s or the VisionTek Xtasy Theatre 550 Pro ?
I don't have a clue as to which option is better, hard to decide what is marketing hype and it looks like some of the "customer reviews" might be shills. ...And I have no idea whether there is a difference between performance when coupled to a satellite dish than to a cable.

There will not be a VCR connected to any of this, the computer will be a dedicated machine, not one which is employed for work, photo editing, book keeping, etc...

I've built several computers, work on computers for friends, but I've never attempted to tie one in to a TV or D*TV DVR. My only experience with computers and a satellite dish is my StarBand Internet.

Recap of system specs:

I've had my Samsung D*TV DVR for about 18 months now and added an Olevia 26 " HD-Ready LCD TV in November. I have an extra computer I want to connect to this set up, comprised of an AMD 2800, 1.5 GB PC 3200 memory, a 160 GB HD, a 200 GB HD, Pioneer 2X DVD burner, 8X Lite-on Dual Layer DVD-burner, onboard ethernet, ATI 9600 128 MB AGP videocard, 6 USB 2.0 ports. Running Windows XP SP2, Nero Ultra Edition, SlySoft AnyDVD, DVD Shrink, Win DVD Platinum.

Samsung S4040R D*TV-DVR

...and no Hi Def receiver, I know that I will not be getting Hi Def with this setup..

Thank you for reading my posts and consideration.
- J.R.

There is a box you can get at BestBuy that has composite inputs and USB out to your PC. It will capture in mpg format and makes very clean videos. I can't remember the manufacture, but it works nice.

I would have thought the satellite receiver would be more apt, just an assumption on my part in thinking satellite DVRs are different than those used with cable & straight over-the-air-waves transmissions. I appreciate the links and will check them out.
Thanks, J.R.

Nothing special about a sat DVR other then it can pick up Directv. Still outputs the same way as any other STB/DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts