Newbie needs advice

bkrenzin

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Switching to Dish Network saltelite from our local cable.

Have 3 HDTV. Sharp LCD, Mitsubishi 62"DLP, Sharp LCD.

I would like to HD programing on all.

• What would you recommend for satelite equipment?
  • What cost can i expect for programming?
  • How many dishes will need to be installed on our house?

each of these tv's has HDMI input. Would you use this input for both audio and video?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Need a little more info from you.

Where are you in the country? You will probably at least get one D1000. Where you are may dictate a need for a second D500.

Do you want DVR capability? If the answer is yes, then you should probably hold out for a 622 receiver. Regardless, since you are just starting now, you want MPEG4 receivers. You could get 3 model 211 receivers if you just want a signal. I highly recommend at least one DVR though. Once you go DVR, you never go back :D

What sort of programming are you interested in. HD only? Movie channels? There is pricing information in the second post in this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32421

If the 622 is unavailable right now, and you can't wait, I suppose you could lease 3 211 receivers until you can get one.

I'll let the others tell you what you need, but wait until at least Feb 1st before you call Dish and get HD boxes from them, otherwise they will give you obsolete equipment. You want the 211 boxes that are mpeg-4 from Dish, not the old 811. If you are not in the northeast, you'll need one Dish 1000 for HD, otherwise you'll need two dish 500's to pick up 61.5 sat for HD. The new HD packages are posted in the forum in a sticky. I think that covers most of your questions and whatever I left out, others will fill you in on. Welcome to the forum BTW!

I have been told if you are able to get your system installed prior to Feb 1, you will only get stuck with a 1 year contract. After Feb 1, the contract goes to 18 mos. If you call a private installation company, some will set you up with the new MPEG 4 equipment now. Dish network will tell you that you have to wail until Feb 1 for the new equipment, but that is not true. I had my two 811's upgraded to VIP211's yesterday. If you do it now, just demand that they give you VIP211 receivers and not 811's or anything else. You will have to wait for the DVR (622) because they are not out yet. However, I believe even on a new install they will limit you to only two HD receivers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)