Newbie needs help understanding channels available

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Is there a beginners guide to what channels are actually available FTA?

I see that there is 'the list' is on this site (I guess I can't link to it until I post more)

But I can't quite decipher it. I see a lot of channels that are encrypted, which makes sense, as they appear to be pay channels. But I'm confused why they are listed on an FTA list. Or an I misunderstanding that term?

Is there something like a TV Guide for Free Satellite Channels somewhere?

I'm confused why they are listed on an FTA list.

A good many entries on "The List" are merely strong transponders, for the benefit of people aiming a dish with a DVB receiver. The receiver, generally, will be able to lock to the otherwise encrypted signal, saving the installer tons of time.

This was just for the quick response to the OP, I leave the remaining questions for others.

All the above lists (including our own TheList) are great once you have some experience.]
In fact, they are necessary for the more technical aspects of the hobby.

However, here's a very simplified list to get you started.
It's not as complete nor up to date, but does list FTA by language.
That's particularly helpful if you are looking just for English only, or have family members who do speak a particular language.

And, the Equity Broadcasting RTN stations carry older programming, which many users enjoy.

Is there a beginners guide to what channels are actually available FTA?

I see that there is 'the list' is on this site (I guess I can't link to it until I post more)

But I can't quite decipher it. I see a lot of channels that are encrypted, which makes sense, as they appear to be pay channels. But I'm confused why they are listed on an FTA list. Or an I misunderstanding that term?

Is there something like a TV Guide for Free Satellite Channels somewhere?

joeyjojojnr,

Welcome to FTA!

When I first got started with ku band FTA, I was pretty confused until I found this site which features a sanitized list:

click on this link --> FTAList.com - The easy list of North American free-to-air TV

In my opinion, it is more newbie friendly until you figure out what's going on. It is a barebones list of FTA channels that you can quickly zero in on. The low hanging fruit so to speak. The channels that most people may be watching.

As you get better and get a handle on how the system works, you can go after the more slippery channels, wild feeds, etc.

Maybe, SatelliteGuys could setup a similar barebones list for the newbie newbies. When they graduate from the barebones list, then they can graduate to 'thelist'. That's what what I did. :hungry:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

channel list in excel

Finding sat with Trimax meter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)