Newbie needs help!!

auburnmdw

Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
I'm planning on getting a Dish Network system (4 rooms total-so I'm assuming a quad lnb), and I'd like to be able to use the system in my travel trailer as well. I have an old Dish Network dish (single LNB) that a friend gave me, and I was wondering if I could use this dish (on a tripod) with one of the receivers from inside my home, or is it dependent upon the type of receiver? Thanks for any help.....

First, it depends on what receivers you end up with. If you get x22 boxes, the "single LNB" won't work unless it's actually a Dual (2 output) because the x22 boxes require TWO identical feeds at all times.

Next, if the home and travel configurations are not identical, you're going to have to go through some gyrations whenever you move the box - and if one setup is Legacy and the other is DishPro, you run the risk of burning out the Legacy gear if you screw up. The easiest thing by far is for both setups to be the same.

More info....

Thanks! I know this much: my package one HD receiver (811) and some combination of 322's and 311's for the other rooms. Is there any way to tell from this info whether I will be getting dishpro or legacy technology???

You SHOULD get DishPro. If a standard Dish 500 (110 & 119 only), it'll be like this:
  • 1-2 tuners: Twin LNBF
  • 3-4 tuners: Quad LNBF
  • 5-6 tuners: Quad LNBF plus a DP34
  • 7-8 tuners: Twin LNBF plus 2 DP34's
YMMV

So I guess my best bet would be to wait and make sure that I get a DishPro Quad LNBF setup, and if so get the same dish for the portable setup, or will a DishPro dual LNBF work?

One thing is that we haven't considered your local channels. Depending on where you are, you might end up with a SuperDish, which would come with a DP34.

For sure, you need to forget about your old gear. Maybe you can trade it for a discount on more suitable gear for what you want to do.

Just place your order and see what happens.

If you have the AT180 package and want to receive all those channels then you will have to bring along a Dish500 instead of the slightly smaller 18" dish like what DirecTv used (before their oval dish came out). If you use legacy lnbf's with legacy switches then that will work with DishPro and legacy receivers. Also you should use the 311 receiver since it requires only one connection (unless you want to watch two different things at the same time).

Another thing you have to remember is if you use a different type of dish while travelling than what is at your house then you will have to do a check switch when using that different type of dish. Then when you get back to your house you will have to perform the check switch again so it can identify the correct dish/lnbf/switch setup.

And remember - if one setup is Legacy and the other DishPro, don't EVER forget to perform the switch matrix reset ritual or you risk frying your Legacy setup.

I just spoke with the DN folks. I will get a Dish 500 (Dishpro)-quad lnbf. I do not need a Superdish. I am ordering an extra Dishpro dual lnbf and dish 500 from a guy on ebay. I should be all set. Thanks for all of your help!!

:) Good.

Both a Twin and a Dual have 2 outputs - but a Dual only has one "eye" for one bird. The Twin has 2 "eyes" so it can see 110 & 119 at the same time, and a built-in switch. A Quad is effectively a Twin with 4 outputs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)