Newbie needs help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, first of all, congratulations! You found your first FTA satellite! You're definitely at 111W, not 97W :)

Hmmm...interesting. They do seem to be listed on The List as Radio stations. However, I get them as TV stations for the University of Regina distance learning feeds. So you did get music -- right? Now, do all of the stations have the same music except for the Occ-Use one (which sounds like a long beep)?

What kind of receiver are you using again (I looked but couldn't find it in the thread)?

If possible, try to scan them again, but this time as TV stations. If it doesn't work, you can usually enter the Video PID manually in many receivers. Let's do one example: For LIVE 1, the Video PID is 257, the Audio is 259 and the PPID is 257. (The FEC is 5/6)

Let me know the results :)
Thank you. Yes I was at 111W, not 97W. Then tonight only I correct all the angles and scanned the channels again. Haleluyah/alhamdulillah I found it! I has never been happy as I am now despite some issue at the office ;-). This discovery comforted me a lot :).

When it was scanning I saw so many familiar TV channels (and radio stations) coming in. However when the search was done I could see only 90 radio channels. They are all listed in Galaxy 19's content.

I'm not too worried now. Some friends above said that it could be format issue (MPEG4, etc) or that I could enter the video PID manually. I believe I may fix it shortly.

BTW my receiver is Viewsat VS Pro. Can you please elaborate more on doing it manually? What are PID, FEC?

Some photos FYI
IMG01270-20121127-2007.jpgIMG01271-20121127-2008.jpgIMG01272-20121127-2159.jpgIMG01273-20121127-2215.jpg

There sould be a button with a picture of a tv/music sign on the remote. Press that to toggle between tv and radio channels.

There sould be a button with a picture of a tv/music sign on the remote. Press that to toggle between tv and radio channels.
Yes I found the toggle button! Now I can watch the TV too. Amazing! So happy, just like a blind person miraculously opened his eyes and could see the world :).

Thanks guys for all your helps. Really appreciate it! God bless you all!

Last night I found out that TP 12151H/20K (Al-Jazeera, Russia Today/RT, etc) and 12177V/23K (Hope Sat, Biz TV, etc) were not in because of weak (Q) signal. Any suggestion as to how to increase the quality? Play around with LNBF or elevation, etc? I don't want to lose the rest though, only want to add more for the sake of channel completeness.

This morning I tried to connect to my DTV but found out the quality was not either DTV or HDTV. Any idea why?

So these two things are my next to do jobs. Any suggestions are highly appreciated :)

Congrats on finding your prey - - - -

First a clarification on 111W - LIVE 1-2-3
They're dvbs-2 for the video feed, so that is why your not getting them. The audio feed is dvb-s.
They are not Mixed DVB-S and DVB-S2. Can't happen.
They are DVB-S, h264 video, mpeg audio. If the receiver is only MPEG2 capable, will only get the audio.
Any suggestion as to how to increase the quality? Play around with LNBF or elevation, etc?
Yes. In very small adjustments. Mark your dish and pole before moving anything, so you can return if necessary.
Before loosening anything on the dish, just put a little pressure on the top of the dish, forward or back, to see which way improves the Q. Repeat on the sides for left-right.
LNBF, make a small adjustment, leave stationary to see if improvement.

found out the quality was not either DTV or HDTV. Any idea why?
Don't think there's much, if any, HD on 97W Ku. And if there is, they'd most likely use h264 video, to save bandwidth. It appears that your receiver is not h264 capable. (111W channels - no video)
You didn't say 'how' you connected your DTV but for HD you'll need to use HDMI or Component outputs. A ch 3/4 output is not HD capable. Some early HD receivers were only mpeg compliant. No h264, check your specs on the receiver.

And to answer your other question, yes...it could be either of those, or even the azimuth. You'd need to eye your receiver to observe what increase in quality you will have as you adjust your elevation ever so slightly up or down. You can often do this by just pushing up from the bottom of the dish oh so slightly to see what effect it has (that way you don't actually loosen any nuts and bolts while experimenting) Then try left and right. But do make sure you have the right skew set on your LNB first, which for your location is 17.4 clockwise, standing behind your dish.

Don't think there's much, if any, HD on 97W Ku. And if there is, they'd most likely use h264 video, to save bandwidth. It appears that your receiver is not h264 capable. (111W channels - no video)
You didn't say 'how' you connected your DTV but for HD you'll need to use HDMI or Component outputs. A ch 3/4 output is not HD capable. Some early HD receivers were only mpeg compliant. No h264, check your specs on the receiver.
Thanks for your info.
I connected through Ch 3/4. I guess I have to buy the digital receiver now. I guess I just need to check if there's HDMI slot at the back of receiver, right?

And to answer your other question, yes...it could be either of those, or even the azimuth. You'd need to eye your receiver to observe what increase in quality you will have as you adjust your elevation ever so slightly up or down. You can often do this by just pushing up from the bottom of the dish oh so slightly to see what effect it has (that way you don't actually loosen any nuts and bolts while experimenting) Then try left and right. But do make sure you have the right skew set on your LNB first, which for your location is 17.4 clockwise, standing behind your dish.
If you do your adjustment you may not get a change in signal for several seconds so take your time. Make very very very small adjustments.

I don't think that the viewsat can do HD.
But there are over 200 tv channels on 97w, but as far as I now non of them are in HD.
Use your S9, that receiver can do HD, you do not need a receiver that can do HD for 97w but for other satellites you may want to use a receiver that does HD or may end up loosing channels.

Just as side-note, the S9 may be more sensitive than the viewsat to receive signals.

But there are over 200 tv channels on 97w, but as far as I now non of them are in HD.
Use your S9, that receiver can do HD, you do not need a receiver that can do HD for 97w but for other satellites you may want to use a receiver that does HD or may end up loosing channels.

Just as side-note, the S9 may be more sensitive than the viewsat to receive signals.
Thanks. The S9 is a new version of Viewsat or the brand name?

Viewsat was shutdown by court order for "Theft of Services" against Dish Network. There is no longer any company, support or development on these STBs.

S9 is generic name for HD receivers receivers manufactured by dozens of Chinese manufacturers. Most companies have now moved beyond this model and are producing more exotic models such as the S10. S11, S12, S13, S14, S15, S16, S17, S18, S19, S20, S21, S22, S23, S24, S25.......................... ::rolleyes:

LOL!!!

Can you tell me what satellite and channels that provide HD programs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts