Newbie needs help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimabbanat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Have Coolsat 8000 HD receiver and HDTV ready TV. I'm confused about Antennas. Are FTA and HD antennas the same? I want both FTA and HD local channels. Been looking at Dish 1000.2. I believe this one will work, but not sure Advise more than welcome. Thank you!

also, for locals in HD, you'll need an actual TV antenna, which one is determined on what your reception looks like in your area

http://www.antennaweb.org is a good place to start on finding what channels are in your area, where they are in relation to you, and what kind of antenna you'll need.

You guys are far beyond me. I'm starting from scratch. Initially I just want to pick up my 5 local Miami channel HD broadcasts - FTA as I learn more I'm in Florida (I know that much). Please advise me! I assume that I can pick up the locals on 110, 119, and 129. Haven't a clue as to correct antenna

You guys are far beyond me. I'm starting from scratch. Initially I just want to pick up my 5 local Miami channel HD broadcasts - FTA as I learn more I'm in Florida (I know that much). Please advise me! I assume that I can pick up the locals on 110, 119, and 129. Haven't a clue as to correct antenna

Well 1st off , Dishnetwork is not FTA , with exception of Gol Tv and Nasa and the occasional FTE.

For HD Locals in Miami , I would use an OTA Antenna .

Even if Dishnetwork for some odd reason Forgot to encrypt the HD locals , your Coolsat 8000 would not work with those channels.

Now with a OTA antenna connected to your coolsat 8000 , you can watch any OTA HD content , I hope I didn't confuse you.

If you don't have one , get yourself a 90 cm dish with linear lnb and you will be adding FTA channels from satellites other than 110 .0 and 119.0.

See Channel list at Lyngsat or Mike Kohl Global Communication ( hope I spelled it right ) for the available channels.

Thank you all!! I was confused, but have been studying. I now understand that local HD channels are obtained with an ordinary UHF/VHF antenna run through a HD receiver, and have nothing to do with FTA. I previously thought FTA was the whole package, and that's why I was yelping about the antenna. I won't have the CS8000 until Thursday. I wanted to learn before it arrived. Think I can handle OTA HD. Know what FTA is, and what it does, but nothing else. Will ring out the CS8000 and take it from there. Again, many thanks to you all, and I'll try not to ask any more dumb questions. However, that is not a promise!

Jim, no dumb questions at all. FTA, OTA, UHF/VHF, LNBs, HD, SD, then throw in Dish 1000's, 500's, 80cm, 90cm's etc it can all get very confusing and as a new comer once myself (we all were) it can get overwhelming.

Trust me, it really does not take a degree in engineering to learn it or understand it. Just a willingness to actively read and not feel dumb asking questions. The one thing I think you'll find here is everyone seems to remember that THEY were newbies at one point and very seldom do you find someone treating newcomers bad or talking down to them. The FTA section more than others is IMO is very friendly and helpful. The hard part is knowing how technical a person is how to phrase responses. There are some incredibly knowledgable people here regarding many subjects including FTA. Their smarts were learned, not built in!

Again, many thanks for the courtesy, SatinKzo, jayelem and Iceberg. Will wring (misspelled it before) out the CS8000 when it arrives Thursday, and I can actually see what's going on. Once I get OTA locals, like Arnold "I'll be back"!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts