Newbie OTA / Multiswitch Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stumacdo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
East Coast
Hi,

Long time reader, first-time poster. Been reading a lot of info here, but wanted to get feedback on a question I have. I've just purchased the R10-250 and plan on hooking it up this weekend. I need to install an OTA to get the HD locals (I'm less than 15 miles from the transmitters). My 2 questions are as follows :

1. Being only 15 miles away, antennaweb recommends a "red" antenna. However, 3 of my 5 locals are at 242 degrees while the other 2 are at 19 degrees. Based on everything I've read here, that would require a multi-directional (omni) antenna rather than a fixed, directional one. Is that correct, and if so, could someone here please recommend the best brand for me.
2. I currently have a 4X8 multiswitch. For my new OTA antenna, should I upgrade to a 5X8 multiswitch and run the coax from the antenna into the multiswitch OR should I run the coax directly from the antenna to the HR10-250 ? It's about 40 feet from my dish to the multiswitch and then another 50 feet to the location of the HR10-250.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

If you are that close I would try the WINEGARD GS-1000 or the WINEGARD GS 2000A; it can't hurt to go direct, but for a tiny bit of signal loss tie it into an UPGRADED SWITCH with room to grow and that OTA signal can be pulled from every outlet you have in the house with a DIPLEXER
at each room.

You can also run 2 high quality directional UHF antennas at the same time for BEST results but it will drive your cost up. I run THESE
in my setup.

If you look real carefully the Winegard PR9032 has 4 less elements but is about the same size and has almost identical gain specs and it $50 cheaper, but I do not know how well it works.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll initially try the non-amplified model due to my proximity to the transmitters. Do you think I can get away with just mounting it to my roof, or do you think I need to put it on a mast ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)