Newbie - Package Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beartooth

Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
I'm a newbie to FTA, but have done lots of research. I just setup a big home theater and looking to do the final piece with FTA. We only get 5 OTA channels, and can't get FOX or ABC. We like Christian programming, which seems prevalent on FTA, so that's a good thing.

My question is that $400 seems to be a price point for a full system with receiver (multiple options, viewsat extreme seems a good one for blind scan, fast channel changing, etc.) motor, dual lnb's, remote, etc.

Does that seem like the "standard" price for this? I priced out piece by piece with ebay for grins, and there was only about a $30 difference with more risk (non authorized dealer.)

Any other places to get all of this stuff substantially cheaper or is that $400 about right?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome :wave
I just setup a big home theater and looking to do the final piece with FTA. We only get 5 OTA channels, and can't get FOX or ABC. We like Christian programming, which seems prevalent on FTA, so that's a good thing.
Well that’s good. There are a fair amount of Christian programming on FTA and as long as you don’t mind a ABC or Fox from a different area (unless you’re in the UP of Michigan, Beaumont TX or in Wyoming), you got those covered.

My question is that $400 seems to be a price point for a full system with receiver (multiple options, viewsat extreme seems a good one for blind scan, fast channel changing, etc.) motor, dual lnb's, remote, etc.
Not that the Viewsat is a bad receiver but its well documented the Viewsat & a motor do not play well. I would get a Coolsat, Fortec or Pansat (In my opinion)

Does that seem like the "standard" price for this? I priced out piece by piece with ebay for grins, and there was only about a $30 difference with more risk (non authorized dealer.)
Check out the sponsers here. I know they might have deals and most of them are on the board here so if there is issues they could help out. $400 might be a little high for a basic motorized system. There are upgrades like larger dishes and better LNB’s but I’ve seen basic motorized for $250-$300

Perfect info, the sadoun guys have a nice package (fortec) for under $300 with component outs and digital audio, which is awesome.

I'll make sure i link from this site so they get sponsor credit. Some good stuff over there. Will check out the other sponsors too.

Thanks so much!

Question: I have a PC right next to my setup, and use it for all my dvd movies, etc. I'm wondering if a USB based setup would be a better option? It'll save me some money, and might work better. I don't have any empty PCI ports, so usb 2.0 would be best. They have a setup for $170.

Last edited:
I have bought alot from Sadoun and they are awesome! Not only are they a sponsor here, but they actually post to this forum! A word of warning - this "hobby" is more like an addiction! :)

I often plug Sadoun in threads like these.
I've had good luck buying from them.
But, since that's been done, look also at a package at Satellite AV, one of our other sponsors.
They are around helping out newbies, too.
And , by all means sort through all the other advertizers on this page, as well.
I don't think a bad word can be said against any of them.

As for using a USB receiver with your computer, well...
I went that way some time ago.
It gives the ability to record shows to your hard drive.
BUT, it's no longer the appliance you need for the living room.
I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the popular stand-alone receivers recommended in these threads would be a better choice to get started.
If and when you get addicted and want a second receiver, you'll be in a better position to choose it wisely.
That's just one lizard's opinion...

Sweet, good info again, even the sadoun website says that the USB one is very difficult to get setup for motorized. Thanks for the other link, that's the system I want, and it's a full $30 cheaper there... shipping is cheaper too.

The DVR stuff isn't all that compelling for me anyway, most of my recorded stuff is in another room and I already have a dvd-based recorder there.

Thanks folks!

Perfect info, the sadoun guys have a nice package (fortec) for under $300 with component outs and digital audio, which is awesome.

I'll make sure i link from this site so they get sponsor credit. Some good stuff over there. Will check out the other sponsors too.

Thanks so much!

Question: I have a PC right next to my setup, and use it for all my dvd movies, etc. I'm wondering if a USB based setup would be a better option? It'll save me some money, and might work better. I don't have any empty PCI ports, so usb 2.0 would be best. They have a setup for $170.

A Set Top Box is a much smaller learning curve , than a PC based system . Snd you would have to have audio and video output ports on your PC to match your home theatre system .

Wyr

Another thing to consider about any PC-based solution (PCI or USB) is that they don't have blind scan capability. If you are looking for feeds (broadcasters uplink raw video from news stories, sporting events, etc. on a regular basis, and this is one of the biggest advantages of FTA IMO), a PC-based card or USB box won't find these.

PC tuners are useful for receiving high definition channels and feeds, as well as 4:2:2 video, but it is best to use them along with a standalone receiver. Use the receiver to control your motor and blind scan, and you'll have the best of all worlds. Maybe consider the PC card/box as an upgrade in the future if you find FTA is for you :)

That's a good point on the blind scan thing, I'm planning to do an HDTV tuner in the pc when prices come down and the technology is upgraded a bit, which would allow me to receive the feed and do dvr from there as well.

Thanks for all the info!

KD

Thanks so much!

Speaking of pc-based FTA, I only have stb's , but I use a pc-based USB2.0 PVR to record what I want and later create DVD's etc. I've had very good luck with the Plextor PX-TV402U external box. You can Google on it and find all the details. Nice thing is that it doesn't go out of date very easily, and it supports MPEG4 compression in it's AVI files for good quality and good compression.
Just another possible incremental system upgrade . :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)