Newbie Question About Coaxial Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jakep

Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hello all,
I have been reading threads for the past few days researching some new ideas. I currently have cable television, but am considering changing to direct TV. I have had static issues for the past few months and am planning on upgrading my wiring and connections before making the change to direct TV. My question is concerning which coaxials and fittings are best suited for direct TV. There are so many kinds from what I see. I believe I have determined that RG6 cables and compression fittings are best, but I am having trouble determing which specific are best. I am looking at this cable. http://www.smarthome.com/8527.html . If someone who is familiar with these installations can also recommend the proper fittings for the best cable and a quality,but not too expensive compression tool. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Jake

I have yet to find a compression tool that is priced low enough to justify using it for only one job. They are for pros. They are usually $50-100.
Beyond that, I'm not sure why you are looking at doing this yourself. Most D* system purchases include installation. They will run new cable from the dish to your receivers, and since they are pros, they will most assuredly be using compression fittings.

But, if you are set on doing work yourself, RG6 is the way to go, but I would just use crimp fittings. You cann usually find DIY coax cable kits with crimper and a stripper for $20. Just make sure you seal up the fittings that are outside with silicone to keep moisture out.

Bill,

Thank you for your response. I want to do the work myself because I have not had good experiences with installers. I have done a lot of work to my home from the roof to stucco to completely refurbishing the interior of the home. I have already had cable installers drill holes through my new stucco when it was completely unneeded among other problems. I would like the lines run through the walls, which I feel comfortable doing.

Is there a specific cable you would recommend? Thanks again.

Jake

Jake,
I understand now. I did my install myself too, but to save money. If you are actually running the cables behind the walls (not just passing through), you should have quad shielded cable to reduce electrical interference. If not, any cable that is sweep tested to 2.2GHz should be fine. Cable TV only needs 1GHz, so make sure you check the writing on the cable's outer covering.
If you do go with quad shielded, make sure you get the right fittings. There are unique fittings for the quad shielded.

Bill,
So if I run quad shield through the walls and to the rooms, would that be suitable to upgrade to direct HDTV. I want to be sure that what I do will work with DTV. Thanks again.

Jake

billbillw said:
I have yet to find a compression tool that is priced low enough to justify using it for only one job. They are for pros. They are usually $50-100.

I'm eating my words now. I just found that Paladin makes a compression tool that is sold for less than $40. Might be worth it for a large job where weatherproofing is important. Broadbandutopia carrys it.

Jakep said:
Bill,
So if I run quad shield through the walls and to the rooms, would that be suitable to upgrade to direct HDTV. I want to be sure that what I do will work with DTV. Thanks again.
Jake

As long as it is sweep to 2.2 and you have each cable come back to a common location that isn't to far from where the dish will be located.

Read up on the cabling needs for D*. You will probably want at least 2 dedicated cables for each room, and possibly 3 for the main room (think HDTivo: 2 cables from dish and 1 for OTA)

Also, I have done this in the past with installers.....you could always run the cabling and have the installer simply put the fittings on. This will ensure your cable be weatherproof. Basically do all that you want before he gets there even mount the dish and have the installer do the fittings and the lineing up.

Bill,

That site is great, thanks. Also thank you for the responses, I will consider them in my decisions. Any other input is welcomed.

Jake

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)