Newbie Question Dish Locals in HD

scoop

Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
How to I connect the OTA I got with Voom, so that I can see my locals in HD. I am hoping to use the existing line feed. I have a Dish 811.

To test the OTA, I ran a cable through the garage, into the living room and connected it to the 811. I was only able to pickup 2 channels Fox and Pax. Will I need a different OTA

Thanks!

Hi welcome to the site :welcome

Was your OTA installed on it's own cabled or diplexed (combined) with the satellite cable?

(It sounds like it has it's own cable)

Well I remember reading frequently here that the voom box amplified the antenna voom used. Using a dish box you'll need an external amplifier (they make one specifically for that antenna) for it to work the way it's designed.

The dish and the OTA were hooked up to a Winegard Model DP-3020 Dual Satellite/Off Air Combiner. I bumped into a Dish Network installer. He told me me that the Voom box amplified the antenna; to go buy an amp at Radio Shack. It did not work. So I'm thinking I need to replace the combiner with a diplexer?

But when Dish Network was installed he ran a new cable for the new dish right? So the only thing on the old voom install cable is the ota right? If that is the case, yes you should remove the diplexer that's outside and just have a straight run from the ota cable to an amplifer to the 811 ota in port

scoop said:
Winegard Model DP-3020 Dual Satellite/Off Air Combiner

The standard antenna installed with Voom was a powered amplified antenna. The amplifier was built into the antenna and the antenna needed a power supply which was supplied thru the diplexor on the Voom box. So you don't need an amplifier, you need to power the antenna. These can be bought many places. Winegard's model number is PS-9370 ($20-$25) but you can use others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)