Newbie question for adding a 3900 reciever to my system

jmnstevens

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Hi,

I just had dish installed a few weeks ago with two dishes (dish 1000 plus - 119,118,121 and dish 500 - 61.5) , I have the dp plus 44 going currently to one vip722. It works perfectly :)!

However I bought for cheap a legacy 3900 reciever with a card. Now I understand that these boxes were prepaid. Is it possible to use this as a second reciever for another television in the house (I know it will cost $5 more a month)?

If so I understand I would need to run another line in frm the dp plus 44. I believe I can plug it into the 2nd tv out connector/ or should it be on the 3rd as the vip722 (although only uses one output but it is splits at the box for both tuners) connects via output 1 ?

Thanks in advance for you help,

Jay

Last edited:
Don't think 3900 is a prepaid receiver (think you have that confused, as the 3900 needs a separate smart card while 722 has it built in). Separate coax run from DPP44 to 3900 (receiver should be placed close to tv as I believe the remote is IR only) and hooked to tv. The separator you mentioned (splitter at back of 722) is only good for dual tuner receivers with DPP lnb's and switches. Otherwise, you have a handle on what needs to be done.

Thanks - I read a few places online that the 3900 was prepaid, however when I bought it, I did not see that listed. I have the smart card with the reciever. So I should be all set to just run the cable then hook it into the system and activate it. I will be using an IR blaster as it will be hooked to a pc in my basement via svideo which will allow me to archive shows using beyondtv. I already have my OTA hooked up which picks up the boston locals in HD via a hdhomerun box. This will complete the system so all channels (other than the HD ones I can't get via OTA) will be available on that system.

Compatibility?

I don't think the 3900 is backward compatible with DPP equipment. You may be able to make it work if you can find the DPP adaptor that used to be sold. Not sure if you can still get them new.

Good Luck!

I don't think the 3900 is backward compatible with DPP equipment. You may be able to make it work if you can find the DPP adaptor that used to be sold. Not sure if you can still get them new.

Good Luck!

To the OP, your Legacy 3900 *will* work with your DPP44 switch. Don't worry about it. :)

The DPP44 will act like a DP adapter. It's just a matter of running a line from said switch to whatever location in your home

unless it is a prepaid. The smartcards for some of those are for prepaid only and dish WILL NOT actiavate it on a regular account (even the ceo office can't)

Will the graphic on the card note that? The seller did not advertise it as a pre paid. Is it possible to get a new card for it, if it turns out to be pre paid?

nope and nope. The R&S #'s are noted as prepaid

I bought a 301 once that ended up being prepaid. And sadly calling Dish and saying "check this r&s # doesn't help. I got it when I tried to activate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts