newbie question on dual lnb system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vhn2000

Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
What will dual lnb do? Will it get more channels than single lnb?What's on C band and Ku band?

I'm looking to buy an affordable system. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just good enough to watch. Any suggestions?

Thanks... :) :confused:

A decent receiver (See Marks sticky for an honestly great price) and a 30" or above dish with Kuband LNB will do nicely, Talk to PSB for pricing, he (Or Tom) will sort you out.

Shamelessly linking to Toms site...

http://www.mpeg2fta.com/what_is_mpeg2_free_to_air_all_ab.htm

Have a read around the forums, search for FTA on Google and beware of hacking for free DishNetwork channels, it'll get you a nice 6x6 room with a big guy called Molly.

A dual LNB lets you hook up to two receivers say in two seperate rooms, another use is hooking your LNB and dish to two receivers, maybe a digital and an analog! On my web site there is a great starter system for $165 (Shipped), it includes the receiver, 30" dish and ku band LNB, if needed a motor can be added to this system. Most folks are now looking for a "Blind Search" reciever where the receiver searches the satellite for you, so all you have to do is scan then it finds every channel on what ever satellite your dish is pointed at. Hope this helps, take your time and shop around for the best deal for you.

Check this link for a list of Free to Air channels from the USA, with the above system you would get a lot the green channels that say DVB next to them, for C-band you would look for the pink channels but for C band you need a VERY large dish (BUD).

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

"http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html"

I've followed the link above, thanks alot for your help. I just have another question, what are those under Satellite column? I clicked on one of them and I couldn't understand what they are saying. Please help!

The satellite is where it is in the sky

Most of us in the US can get somewhere between 30W and 148W (when you click on a satellite, it tells you where it is)

The most common are
Galaxy 10 (123W)..this has some US networks (WB, UPN, FOX, PAX)
IA5 (97W)..this has most of the international channels
AMC4 (101W)..this has People's Network and a couple of Networks
AMC3 (87W)..this has Montana PBS

What is the different between a standard Ku LNB and a Universal Ku LNB and N. American Ku LNBF?

All satellites have a LO frequecy

KU is 10750
DBS is 11250
C-Band is 5150
Universal KU is 9750

A universal will allow you to use a LO of 9750 or 10750. A standard will not
The only satellite close that would need a universal is PAS9 (58W). There is some stuff from Cuba on that satellite.

I'm trying to get any channels from Vietnam, I'm clueless and where to point and what to do. PLEASE help.

I just bought a Traxis system from PBS.

First thing to do is find the satellite you want, look here and make sure the channel is available ask me if you are not sure.

You get most of the green channels that say DVB beside them. We will also need your zip code to help you point the dish, this is going to be fun, it may take some time but it will be worth it in the end, let us know how far you get, I take it its all cabled up and the dish mounted? If you are stuck you can e-mail or call me direct, the phone number is on my web site!

vistar 2000 mpeg2/dvb fta

Can someone give some Help Please! vistar2000 fta receiver I need to know what LNB that work with it. I have a directv dish and LNB will it work? :confused:

Nice to talk to you! You are going to need to get a compass of some sort : ) Other than that you want to start by trying to get T5 (IA5) here is where it is in your area..........

Elevation= 55 deg.
Azim= 183 deg.
Skew= 3 deg.

Make sure you are set for T5 (IA5) and use transponder....

Number 25, 12146 freq. / V Pol. / 2021 s/r. to point the dish, you need quality, signal strength means nothing at this point.
The dish pole/mast MUST be plumb/level for the elevation to be accurate, sounds like the dish may have to be lowered to put the mast/pole back level straight up and down.

http://www.lyngsat.com/ia5.html

You are using a standard Ku LNBF so the L.O. is correct at 10750. have fun!

Thanks a lot for your help. I just found out I've been point the dish at north (Dohh!). Tried it at South, still not getting anything yet. But at least I'm getting somewhere. Ummm..I understand elevation number, however those other two confused me :confused:

P.S. pointing the dish south will get me Intelsat Americas 5 right?? And what about Measat2?

You will not get Measat2 thats in another part of the world, South helps : ) I spent many hours one night years ago searching the Northern sky for satellites : )

The Azimuth is the reading on the compass of where the satellite is from left to right, the skew is the rotation of the LNB, for now leave the lnb straight up and down, and slide it as far back from the dish as it will go in the holder.
Glad to help!

Still not getting anything...I plumbed the pole on the ground. Tried rotating the dish 360 and still nothing. I'm looking at telstar5(intelsat americas 5). The satellite is at 96 degree West. Where in the world is that? How do you read that number? the 97 is referencing from North or South?

The 97 is the slot in the sky where the satellite is, you NEED a compass, then you will aim at 180 on it and that will be south, you are going to save a lot of time with a compass! They only cost $5 !

Iceberg said:
The satellite is where it is in the sky

Most of us in the US can get somewhere between 30W and 148W (when you click on a satellite, it tells you where it is)

The most common are
Galaxy 10 (123W)..this has some US networks (WB, UPN, FOX, PAX)
IA5 (97W)..this has most of the international channels
AMC4 (101W)..this has People's Network and a couple of Networks
AMC3 (87W)..this has Montana PBS

I'm still confused on how to read these satellite location. For isntance why is IA5( 97W ) corresponds to South? Can someone clarify or show me how to read these numbers? Oh and BIG THANKS to Peter for helping me!!! I finally got some channels.

Glad to help! All the answers are in the link below, 97W is IA5's orbital position in the sky in relation to the other satellites, but you would use a compass and point at 180 deg to be looking south.

http://www.geo-orbit.org/

Any good FTA on C-Band?

Hi, I'm new to this great hobby and I already have a big dish and currently subscribe to C-Band programming.

I plan to buy a Pansat but want to use the existing lnbs to find c-band FTA. How many North America c-band fta channels are out there?

Looks like most of the better stuff is on KU? Is that true?

Thanks
xman

I only have ku and I wish I had a big C band dish, check out the below link all the green channels that say DVB are ku band and all the Pink DVB channels are C band so you can make your own mind up, I would keep all the options opened as your receiver will work for both.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts