Newbie Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bmwtigerman

Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Southeast
Hey guys, newbie here, so please bare with me on the terminology. I have purchased another dish (aside from the one I use at home) to use for tailgating this football season. The dish says Dish 500 on the front and the guy referred to it as a winged dish. I Have a VIP222 receiver. The dish was set at skew of 90 and elevation 45. This saturday I used it and was able to get signals for 61.5 and 72. However when I did a check switch I lost satellites 72 and 77 completely and was only able to get the channels on 61.5. What can I do next time to prevent this?

I get local channels on 61.5 but I can't get channels I need like ESPN when I lose the other satellites. Please help! Thanks in advance!

A wing dish is set up to see only 61.5 That is why you lost the other two sats when you did your check switch (you really couldn't see them anyhow, you probably also got a message saying something about less satelites being available). Using your set-up menu you can re-aim the dish to pick up 110 or 119 to see ESPN but would lose your locals. If you are using it for tailgating find out where your game will be shown and aim your dish to pick up that network, either local or ESPN.

re:

Thanks for the replies. So I will only be able to pick up local channels with a winged dish at 61.5? I tried it out earlier last week and got a signal for 119, but got no picture. Dish Support told me the only other satellites I could get were 72 and 77.

I need to combine 3 SATS to my HD receiver. What type of switch do i need to buy?? I have seen the SW-21 but this one only combines 2 SATS not 3. HELP HELP HELP

If you have legacy LNBs, then you need an SW64. Please upgrade to DishPro LNBs and then you can use either a DP34 with 1 cable run to each tuner or a DPP33 with 1 run to each receiver.

Use your zip code and the information on the set-up menu under Dish300 for either 110 or 119 or 61.5. Aim the dish to pick up the signal (let's say 119). When you get good signal strength. and it tells you you are locked into the sat, run a check switch and Test. This should get you a picture and your program guide. Then back out of the set-up.

Hey guys, newbie here, so please bare with me on the terminology. I have purchased another dish (aside from the one I use at home) to use for tailgating this football season. The dish says Dish 500 on the front and the guy referred to it as a winged dish. I Have a VIP222 receiver. The dish was set at skew of 90 and elevation 45. This saturday I used it and was able to get signals for 61.5 and 72. However when I did a check switch I lost satellites 72 and 77 completely and was only able to get the channels on 61.5. What can I do next time to prevent this?

I get local channels on 61.5 but I can't get channels I need like ESPN when I lose the other satellites. Please help! Thanks in advance!

Hi, from your description above it is not clear to me what LNB you have on the Dish 500. If it was indeed a wing dish it should have the DP single LNB on it and would only see one satellite at a time. If you were able to receive both 61.5 and 72.7 at the same time then it must have the DP plus dual LNB on it. This LNB would have normally been used to receive the satellites at 110 and 119 but it can be made to work on 61.5 and 72.7. It could also be used on 119 and 129 by resetting the skew, elevation and azimuth.

If you have the DP single LNB and want to receive two satellites you will need to change out the Y-yoke if it does not have one and replace the LNB with the DP plus.

BTW - skew does not mater on the DP single LNB or any single LNB dish when using circular polarisation - it's only needed when more then one LNB or linear polarisation is used.

Hope this helps, DC

re:

Thanks for the replies. The LNB on my winged dish has 110 and 119 but is a single and is on the 119. The dish people told me the only satellites I could pick up in my area were 61.5, 72, and 77. Not sure if that's accurate or not. Those are the three satellites I have at home, but of course I have a separate dish for tailgating. So if I set it at dish 300 and get a signal for 61.5 and 119 I should be able to get all the channels I need?

A wing dish is an auxiliary dish that augments your main 3-sat dish with a 4th orbital location. A Dish 300 can be used as a wing dish for a single satellite location, but it sounds like you bought a Dish 500 which is good for 110 and 119 simultaneously using an LNB called a "twin". Some people have succeeded in getting both 61.5 and 72.7 using a Dish 500 and a twin, but the orbital spacing is not the same and you will get poorer reception than you would using an Eastern Arc 1000.4 which you apparently have at home.

Now, since you are taking this thing tailgating, you can arrange it so that you have no obstacles to receiving either Eastern or Western Arc satellites. So, what you need to do is go to Subscription List Home via TheList! tab above, and see where the channels you want are located and proceed accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts