<NEWBIE QUESTION>

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clinscheid

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
This past weekend I installed the new 18x20 triple LNB dish and ran a dual R69 coax run into the attic to a splitter. It's a 2 input to 4 output splitter that I have used before, but not with the HD setup. I continued the dual run to the HD receiver/TiVo and then 1 run to the spare bedroom and another outside to the deck. I can watch D* in all 3 locations but when hooked through the splitter I CANNOT get a signal from 119 on the HD receiver, thus no HD channels. I get an error call x721 message. When I bypass the splitter I can "see" it just fine. Once the splitter is out of the loop then I have another problem....see #2

#1 What type of splitter can I use? I don't want to make another coax run from the dish for the bedroom & deck locations.

#2 I cannot pickup the HD package I subscribed to due to it not being hooked to a phone line 24-7, something about FCC laws. I was told (by D*) that I needed to sign a waiver to allow me to use the HD receiver without it being hooked to the phone line. Once this waiver is signed I'll start receiving the HD package. I did hook it to a phone line on the intial install but don't want it hooked-up 24-7 due to its location and the need to run cabling.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!!!

You'll need a cascadable multiswitch. All four lines from your dish **must** go to the multiswitch. All lines to receivers must go from the multiswitch. Search here on it -- plenty of threads.

Re #2 -- the CSR you were talking to is smoking crack.

What you are using is NOT A SPLITTER it is a MULTISWITCH there is quite a difference between the 2. And the correct answer is a Cascadable multiswitch if you want more than 4 connections to the dish. If all you want is the existing connections just run 4 cables from the dish to the location of your current multiswitch and splice them with F-81s.

Thanks for the input. I will go get a cascadable multi-switch. Can you recommend a particular vendor or brand name?

I called the dumb@$$ at D* back and this is what I have found. I have some HD channels but not the local channels in HD, although I do have them in SD. The Atlanta channels are not broadcast in HD so they will submit a waiver request to see if they will allow me to receive the HD channels out of the New York area.

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks!

It appears that you only need 4 connections for your receiver setup. Run two more runs from the LNBF, and barrell all 4 connections to the cables that go to the receivers from the switch.

If you need more than 4 connections, then you DO need a cascadable 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch. But even in this case, you MUST have all 4 lines coming in from the LNBF.

Al

OTA == Over-the-Air.

The only way to get your HD local channels.
D* doesn't carry HD locals on the satellite yet, except for Detroit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts