Newbie questions regarding transponders and more

jollygrunt

Arsenal Fan
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 16, 2005
Republic of Texas
I've read that transponders 11 & 12 are the best to use to test signal strength on 110 & 119. Does this mean that they'd be the best to use overall, if so, is there a way to specify them to connect to the satellites all the time?

Also, I've got a 522, and after checking the signal strength this morning, I noticed that it's in the lower 90's for transponders 11 & 12 on both 110 and 119. The meter goes up to 125. Should I be worried that I'm not getting at least something over 100 of signal strength?

I've got my 522 connected to a phone line. Does it use the line to download EPG updates and/or software updates, or does that come from the satellites?

How often do the Charlie chats come around, and on what channel do they show?

How does one apply for waivers for distant networks? If I already receive locals, what are the chances that I could get the Western feeds of the networks?

I've read that DirecTV has one or more sats that they'll be launching soon. Does Echostar have any new satellites ready, or near ready, to launch?

Different transponders carry different channels. 11 and 12 are just widely used references when checking signal strength. Your receiver will know which transponder to switch to when changing channels. Although your signal could be higher than the low 90's with a 522 it wouldn't be by much, so rest easy and watch some tv.

EPG and software updates are downloaded via satellite. In my opinion, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, the phone line REQUIREMENT for 522's and 322's are there because dish thinks you will be more inclined to order PPV if you can do it with the press of a button rather than call it in. They are willing to forgo the charge for tv2 for the chance to make some loot on PPV.

If you already get your locals, chances are slim that you can get distant locals, unless your area is missing one or more of the affiliates like ABC.

Echostar has several new and used satellites up there that are currently not broadcasting. What they will be used for is still up in the air, if Charlie's magic 8-ball has told him definitively what to do with them he hasn't shared that info with us.

jollygrunt said:
I've read that transponders 11 & 12 are the best to use to test signal strength on 110 & 119. Does this mean that they'd be the best to use overall, if so, is there a way to specify them to connect to the satellites all the time?

The reason is spotbeams....Instead of sending a signal across the whole US, they fix a beam for locals on your area. This allows them to reuse the same transponders for different local areas.
On satellite 119 TP’s 1 3 5 7 & 9 are spotbeams
On satellite 110 TP’s 2 4 6 8 & 10 are spotbeams

If you are in these, your signal will be much higher than regular transponders.
We say 11 & 12 because these are the 1st ones off those spotbeams. 11 is vertical and 12 is horizontal polarity so we can get 2 readings : )
Also, I've got a 522, and after checking the signal strength this morning, I noticed that it's in the lower 90's for transponders 11 & 12 on both 110 and 119. The meter goes up to 125. Should I be worried that I'm not getting at least something over 100 of signal strength?
no. a 60 or 125 will give you the same picture. But when it rains, the odds of rain fade increase. Now a 90 should still be fine.
I've got my 522 connected to a phone line. Does it use the line to download EPG updates and/or software updates, or does that come from the satellites?
the satellite downloads the EPG and any software updates.
How often do the Charlie chats come around, and on what channel do they show?
once a month 2nd Monday at 9 Eastern Channel 101
sometimes there is a tech chat instead.
How does one apply for waivers for distant networks? If I already receive locals, what are the chances that I could get the Western feeds of the networks?
slim to none and slim left town. The new rules say "lcoals available? YES then no distants"
I've read that DirecTV has one or more sats that they'll be launching soon. Does Echostar have any new satellites ready, or near ready, to launch?
Dish has 2 satellites that are up there that they are testing. Once (AMC15) is replacing AMC2 at 105 due to AMC2 not covering the whole US (It's weak on the borders)

Iceberg - remember, only FSS uses V/H, the regular birds use L/R circular. ;)

But I'll bet you already knew that, and just spaced it for a minute. :)

SimpleSimon said:
Iceberg - remember, only FSS uses V/H, the regular birds use L/R circular. ;)

But I'll bet you already knew that, and just spaced it for a minute. :)

I know :D
but when you do the conversion when using a free to air receiver
R=V
L=H

that's how I always think :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)