Newbie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neoncorey

Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I am a newbie to the whole FTA aspect of satellites. Need to find out some general questions about getting a setup together and what is all out there. Any links to info or direct replies will be extremely helpful.

As of right now I am possibly looking into a setup from gosatellite.net. http://www.gosatellite.net/pansat_satellite_1522_ctg.htm

This is one of the ones I am looking at getting to start. Although the Fortec and the CoolSat setup looks amazing too.

Some questions I have are as follows:

1) If I go with one of these setups will I be able to pick up any Pay Per View channels for free (legally)? Experimentation comes later if need be "tweaking".

2) If I go with one of these setups will I be able to pick up any Dish Network Channels for free (legally)?

3) Worth mounting on a roof of a garage for the better line-of-site?

4) What is the major difference/advantages between having a triple LNBF dish (Wave Frontier) VS. just a universal LNBF?

5) On the CoolSat receiver it states that it can search a satellite in a minute compared to others such as the Pansat 2500a that can take up to 10 mins per satellite. Is this true on average for the receivers?

Thank you very much for anyone who can help out with learning about this stuff!!

Hello and welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US "No Hack Talk" FTA/MPEG-2 forum!

1/ No That would be stealing!

2/ There are a few channels FTA see below

3/ Better as low as possible but you may be able to "see" more satellites the higher it is, but it will be less stable on a roof where the elements can cause trouble (wind/rain/snow)

4/ For KU FTA channels a Standard or Universal KU LNBF is needed for the very few Dish channels a DBS LNB can be used.

5/ Most of the Legal FTA satellite receivers take around 10 minutes to scan a satellite (Power/Smart/Blind scan)

What can I get with an 18" dish

Thank you very much I appreciate the return post. That has cleared up a few questions to an extent and let me know what to search for too. Thank again.

Dish Network sat 119W has a lot of music that you can get. The 110 W has a few intesting things from time to time BUT they come and go. Note you need a different LNB to get them. Find a 18" dish and LNB on Ebay and feed it into the switch you will be getting.

Have fun!

neoncorey said:
I am a newbie to the whole FTA aspect of satellites. Need to find out some general questions about getting a setup together and what is all out there. Any links to info or direct replies will be extremely helpful.

As of right now I am possibly looking into a setup from gosatellite.net. http://www.gosatellite.net/pansat_satellite_1522_ctg.htm

This is one of the ones I am looking at getting to start. Although the Fortec and the CoolSat setup looks amazing too.

Some questions I have are as follows:

1) If I go with one of these setups will I be able to pick up any Pay Per View channels for free (legally)? Experimentation comes later if need be "tweaking".

2) If I go with one of these setups will I be able to pick up any Dish Network Channels for free (legally)?

3) Worth mounting on a roof of a garage for the better line-of-site?

4) What is the major difference/advantages between having a triple LNBF dish (Wave Frontier) VS. just a universal LNBF?

5) On the CoolSat receiver it states that it can search a satellite in a minute compared to others such as the Pansat 2500a that can take up to 10 mins per satellite. Is this true on average for the receivers?

Thank you very much for anyone who can help out with learning about this stuff!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)