Newbie Requesting Advice/Opinions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Texaslim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Early in 2007 I ordered Dish Satellite TV service online and specifically requested an HD DVR. Installer No. 1 showed up with a basic receiver and installed it before I realized it was not what I ordered. That installer also spliced into my OTA cable on the roof (I have had a good OTA antenna since I moved in here) and spliced into it again in my living room. A few days later, when Installer No. 2 (a different installer) arrived with the HD DVR he had to add a second cable from the satellite dish but, instead of running it through my attic like the OTA cable, ran it across part of my roof top (peak), down the side of my house, through my living room wall, across the floor in front of my fire place and to the HD DVR. (What a mess of cables!) Because I had numerous problems with Dish, including a charge for an “upgrade” to that HD DVR that I ordered in the first place, Dish and I mutually parted ways.

Now I am about to get Direct TV service. One question you folks might can answer for me is if that current DISH satellite dish (still in place on my chimney) and one (still-in-place) cable will be usable for my Direct TV service? Also, I had that first cable, the one that was spliced into my OTA cable, removed by my OTA antenna installer (this is a separate, independent installer who put my OTA antenna in place when I moved in years ago, and re-installed it again when my roof was replaced). If the HD requires TWO cables I want to insist that the Direct installer NOT splice into my OTA cable for any reason whatsoever. That’s not unreasonable is it? I currently receive excellent HD signals through my roof top (OTA) antenna and do not want that cable disturbed again. When I had Dish service I was able to receive local stations through the satellite dish and, using my remote, could switch over to my roof top antenna if needed in bad weather. I want to be able to do that with Direct TV service too.

As for the Direct TV package I am considering, I think I want CHOICE (150 channels plus locals) for $49.99/month with the standard (non-HD) DVR. I can get Direct’s rebate of $10/month for 12-months and I can get the AAA (American Automobile Association) discount which is $10/month for 24-months. That means I would pay $35.98 for 12-months, $45.98 for 24-months and then the regular price after 24-months. (add taxes to those figures). Does that sound right?

Or, for $9.99/month more, get the CHOICE package with HD (with, of course, the HD DVR instead of the regular DVR). I definitely want to be able to record but am not certain about the HD. I guess that because HD figures out to only about 33 cents a day it would be stupid NOT to get HD. Right?

So, would you folks be nice enough to give me some input here and help me out with your answers (about using the equipment I currently have in place) and your advice/opinions as to the package (CHOICE) I’m considering. I get enough sports (I actually have 2 TV’s in my living room and some times watch NASCAR and baseball at the same time). I think there are enough movies in that CHOICE package that I don’t need any extra “movie” channels.

Thanks in advance. All your input will be thoroughly appreciated. I hope my explanations were clear enough to make sense. If not, please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

I would clearly state on your order that the installer needs to run new lines. If you order an HDDVR and request the installation by Directv you are entitled to 2 lines run at a lenght of 125 feet each. The install also provides for the cable to be feed through 1 outside wall and that wall fishing a cable would be an additional charge. Since you have access throught the attic it might be a good idea to follow (not use) your ota line to get it to the location of the DVR.

One main suggestion is to do is go over the work order with the installer as soon as they arrive. If there is a problem or equipment is not right immediately call Directv and work with them. Remember the installer is working off a piece of paper and is only paid a pittence for doing the install by the home service provider.

Be helpful with the installer but don't get in his way( a comon courtesy). You can offer a refershment ( coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soda, no alcohol). You can tip the installer if he does the job ot your satisfaction.

My preference would be to go with the HD even if you don't have an HD TV. The cost of the sets are dropping every month and you will not have to go through this again. The DVR is really handy to have als

The last thing is make sure all channels are active prior to the installer leaving.

Welcome to Directv.

Well Thanks eandras. I'll remember your advice.

I was hoping there were more knowledgeable and/or helpful readers here but was mistaken.

Well Thanks eandras. I'll remember your advice.

I was hoping there were more knowledgeable and/or helpful readers here but was mistaken.

Package choice is entirely a personal preference based upon your balance of cost, channels, and what is offered.

Otherwise, eandras answered your equipment questions pretty clearly, IMO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.