Newbie - Setup/Equipment Advice & Sanity Check Needed!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

John-Eddie

Original poster
May 15, 2011
Seacoast NH
Hi All,

This is my first post - and I wasn't sure which forum was most appropriate for it - but since my proposed setup will include X5 subscription channels, I thought someone here could help me out.

I've tried to do my homework and understand this - but I'd sure like some confirmation/correction/advice!

My goal: C and Ku band FTA + Some X5 subscription channels from Skyvision. I'll get locals via a UHF/VHF "stacker" antenna.

What I *think* I need based on what I know so far:

1) Since most of the sats I'd need to hit from here have EIRPs of 39-42, some charts suggest I'd need a 1.5M dish and others a 1.8M. I'd go with 1.8M to be on the safe side. I also gather I'd need a solid rather than a mesh dish as apparently mesh isn't optimal for Ku. It seems an Andrew "Type 180" would be a good choice.

2) A dual C/Ku LNFB. A BSC621 seems popular. Uses Disceqc to switch between bands so the receiver has to support that.

3) Openbox S10. Should support all the FTA needs and I *think* you can loop out of this to a "sidecar" sub-receiver for subscription stuff, right?

4) Some sort of rotor for the dish that's supported by openbox. Ideas?

5) Signal meter/other stuff to aid setup. Ideas would help here too.

6) A separate receiver for subscription programming. DSR905 perhaps?

7) Lots of other stuff I'm probably missing...

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Feel free to direct me to the right one for questions of this sort. :)

Thanks to anyone who can help out a newbie!

-JE

You need to read the postings on this group. If you are interested in 4DTV and Digicipher FTA this group will be of interest. Otherwise you need the FTA guys. For your area you will need a 10-12 foot dish for C Band. Receivers Motorola or General Instrument 920 or 922. These will provide positioning for you. These are old devices and there are none newer available. Sorry about that.

To get any good FTA use out of C band a 6 foot dish will not work well. It will get the X4 channels on a 4DTV fine but if you go after S2 MPEG 4 FTA forget it. I suggest at least a 10 foot (3.0m) or 12 foot (3.8m). With C band bigger is better, been in this game 24 years with a 12 foot for 22 years. The 12 gets anything I toss at it. I would use a 90cm to 1.2 meter offset for ku with a Stab to move it. Your best performance will be with separate dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts