Newbie to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PWMoore

Original poster
May 24, 2014
Sanford, Texas
I have a Sonicview SV-360 Premier using a Disk Pro 500. I had the Disk and wanted to see if it would work. I get good strength but no Quality. But I don't know if I have the right information on the receiver. I live in the Texas Panhandle just north of Amarillo. Tx. Can someone please sent me one satellite and the programing with lnb, transponder and other relative info so that I can at least have some knowledge of how these things work. I usually can get things to work but not this yet. Please help an old man.

Wife thinks I wasted the money for receiver. Any assistance will be appreciated.

You won't get anything FTA with that dish lnbf combination. Designed for 12200 to 12700 with circular polarity. FTA is 11700 to 12200 and linear polarity. Here's a dish LNBF combination that will work.
BTW, what are you looking for channel wise, via FTA?

Your really not gonna get anything with that Dish and LNBF combination. That dish is for Dish Network(DISH). For FTA you need linear LNBF and a bigger dish. What exactly are you trying to get with this set-up? Any thing in particular?

Thanks for the replies. Just wanting to try FTA. Start with one satellite and go from there. Suggestions on what type of Dish Antenna to used.

The link that FaT Air posted is a good start and good price.

You won't get anything FTA with that dish lnbf combination. Designed for 12200 to 12700 with circular polarity. FTA is 11700 to 12200 and linear polarity. Here's a dish LNBF combination that will work.
BTW, what are you looking for channel wise, via FTA?

This dish combination is the same that I am using with a MicroHD receiver. This dish and LNBF comb is excellent to start with as many others has said! Welcome to FTA! This site has many people that are glad to help you along the way. I am fairly new to FTA myself, and it is very addicting. :welcome

Found a 6' Unimesh dish with a C-Band LNB on it. Would like some help on what LNBF that would go with Disk to work.
Although a 6 ft is on the "small side" for C band it will get quite a bit with diligent tuning. I suggest the Titanium PLL LNBF. ( i just got a couple of the Ku variety and am very pleased) The Unimesh is one of the 'better' dishes so think it could be a 'killer' system for a 6 footer. (but bigger is better) I'm 'of the persuasion' that prefer Ku on a dedicated Ku dish, while others may be 'on the other side' and suggest a combo, Ku and C on one dish, and suggest a dual band LNBF. I'll let them 'throw into the ring' their suggestions. But tuning a BUD for Ku, like you've found, can be quite a task as it's 'very particular' and could be daunting for a newby. Tuning it for c band alone isn't as 'touchy'.

Hi PWMoore. :welcome2to our forum.
Most C-band dishes are motorised to be able to see more than one satellite.
I noticed no-one answered your question about a satellite & channel to aim for. Our site has a list of channels available here http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php
Also Mike Kohl one of our pioneers has a very good list here http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
I would visit both to help decide which satellite to aim for.
http://www.dishpointer.com/ is a great website to assist in aiming a satellite dish.
Happy Satellite hunting!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)