Newbie to HD...Looking for Confirm on setup...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

swanrs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I'm new to the Forum, and I love it!. I'm awaiting for a response on the 942 lease from Dish (I got the okay 3-4 months ago, but couldn't decide on a TV, so I held off).

I'm getting a 42" Panasonic HDTV without built-in tuner.

I want to make sure I have everything covered:

1. 942 box
2. OTA Antenna (I'm in Chicago, can I get away with an indoor antenna?)
3. New DVD Player (should I move to an HD Up one? Is it worth it?)
4. Cables...what EXACTLY do I need? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

-Rich

Welcome to world of tomorrow!!!!

Ok,

1. 942 - Gotta have this.
2. OTA Antenna - If you are downtown, then usually all OTA signals are pretty strong in a city. So an indoor antenna should be ok.
3. DVD Player - If it looks good now don't bother getting an upconverting one. The disk is still only 480p.
4. Cables. Well now this is the real issue. First make sure to use DVI or HDMI to connect to your new Pannasonic. If that can't be done, use component connections.

Plus your 942 will have a dual tuner. I'm not sure if you are saying that your a current Dish customer.

Thanks, Cy!

I'm just outside the city (9 miles from tower) so I think the indoor antenna could be iffy.

I AM a current Dish subscriber and have the SD dual tuner/dvr now - love it! That's actually what's kept me from moving to HD - didn't want to give up the dual tuner and dvr together. When I heard about the 942 lease, I've decided to step up.

I can definitely do an HDMI hookup to the Panasonic. Should I just pick up cables from Best Buy or someplace like that? What can i expect to spend?

Thanks again!

1. Some people have different answers considering that the MPEG4 HD DVR (622VIP/942+ ???) will be comeing out before long.
2. Try a Zenith Silver Sensor or something indoor like that. You can alway return it if it doesn't work. I've seen them at sears. If you have to you could put a high gain yagi like the channel master 4248 or even the 4228.
3. I wouldn't worry about a DVD receiver that upconverts to 720p/1080i but I would make sure that the DVD does progressive scan. 480p looks lots better than 480i.
4. I think the 942 comes with component cables which will be just as good as HDMI or DVI. If you are hell bent on getting a DVI or HDMI cable then get one off E-Bay. Do not waste your money on cable from Monster Cable. They are good cables but are not worth the money and I can't tell any difference. I got two 2meter DVI dual link cables off E-Bay for something around twenty dollors shipped and everything. They work great on my 55" Mitsubishi RPTV.

Great info!

Thanks, Brett. Yeah I've read all the differing opinions on mpeg4 and figure for the $250 and $5 per month, I'll get plenty out of the 942.

Thanks again.

hdmi or component?

I know found out that I will have to buy and hdmi board to use with my panasonic if I want and hdmi input from the 942. This runs about $150 extra. Is it worth it? Or should I just stick with the component? Seems silly to not use a digital input...

swanrs said:
I know found out that I will have to buy and hdmi board to use with my panasonic if I want and hdmi input from the 942. This runs about $150 extra. Is it worth it? Or should I just stick with the component? Seems silly to not use a digital input...

Some folks have actually had better results with the component inputs. It really depends on the HDTV. So I say, try components first. If you like the results, then you are done! If not, then spring for the $150.

How will I know?

That's what I was thinking, but then how will I know if I'm missing something with the components that I would get with the HDMI? Compared to my crappy 32" tube, I know the 42" plasma is going to look great no matter what. I just want to make sure I'm taking full advantage of my tv....

swanrs said:
That's what I was thinking, but then how will I know if I'm missing something with the components that I would get with the HDMI? Compared to my crappy 32" tube, I know the 42" plasma is going to look great no matter what. I just want to make sure I'm taking full advantage of my tv....

Then spend the $150--but try the component anyway, just to be sure.

I have the 42" Panny, the components/VGA inputs look great. Only opt for the HDMI or DVI if you feel that you really need it.

I use HDMI and it made a noticable diffrence to me. I get my cables from ramelectronics.net. Heck of a lot cheaper then best buy! Just got a 10' HDMI cable for about 50 bucks..

Cyclone...

Since you have the same TV, can you tell me about your setup? Mainly what type of component cables do you have? If you're using components from your Dish rec'vr to your Panny, what are using to connect your DVD player? I've got a JVC Surround sound receiver and a 942 on its way from Dish.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts