Newbie to the Forum, have a few questions about a rather intricate DirecTV Setup.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skippinjack

Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Miami, Florida
Hey All,

I am somewhat new to the satellite forums, but I have been fairly active on some other technical forums online. That said, I am seeking some advice from people that will certainly be more familiar than me with something that I would like to setup myself this summer.

What I would like to do is wire my entire DirecTV system for the installer this summer (multi-unit vacation house) so that all he has to do is come out, mount the dish, hook up the wire and GTFO. :)

I am going to need a total of AT LEAST 16 receivers, dual tuners (like the HR-23's or HR-24's, etc) to be able to run off of that one dish (if this is even possible with the right equipment). I am somewhat familiar with the SWM system setups and have seen an 8 way "splitter" that would seem to suffice for 8 of those receivers being hooked up and running at once (assuming both tuners were being used, which would actually equal 16 tuners, maybe I'm wrong, but I digress), but, that obviously won't work for me (even if what I said in parenthesis is the case) due to the fact that I need a theoretical minimum of 16 dual-tuner receivers to be able to run at once. Ideally, I would like to have one wire run to each receiver (and allow the receiver to record and play regular programming at the same time) as is the case with the SWM systems that I have seen so far. Would I need a particular type of SWM LNB for this? (3 LNB in one, 5 LNB in one {the international capable one})? I have attempted to garner some information on the topic myself, and I am WELL aware that I will need to invest in some not too cheap hardware, likely from SolidSignal, but I would rather not purchase anything until I seek further expert council from y'all!

Please advise on what you think would be best, what equipment I need and why (not challenging you to substantiate, I just want to lean the technicalities of all of this stuff).

Thanks in advance!

16 receivers. At your summer home.
Do you want to adopt a 51 year old son?:)

Welcome!!

16 receivers. At your summer home.
Do you want to adopt a 51 year old son?:)

Welcome!!

LOL. Sure. What the hell.

Sounds like he's setting up an apt complex.

16 tuners at the Vacation home ?

LOL. Kind of. We essentially got homeowners association permission to setup one dish (by a total fluke), and I don't think that there is a snowballs chance in hell that they would approve another one. Thus the need for this setup. I am essentially the guinea pig for everyone else. There are four units attached all together and I own three as it is, so, I just want to run and conceal all the wiring through the attic and whatnot.

LOL. Sure. What the hell.

LOL. Kind of. We essentially got homeowners association permission to setup one dish (by a total fluke), and I don't think that there is a snowballs chance in hell that they would approve another one. Thus the need for this setup. I am essentially the guinea pig for everyone else. There are four units attached all together and I own three as it is, so, I just want to run and conceal all the wiring through the attic and whatnot.

So, do you own the D* accounts or are they set up by who evers living there ?
You might want tom check and see if everything your trying to do is legal with D* before hand.

So, do you own the D* accounts or are they set up by who evers living there ?
You might want tom check and see if everything your trying to do is legal with D* before hand.

I will check, but I don't believe it should be a problem. I AM NOT ACTIVATING AN ACCOUNT WITH THAT MANY RECEIVERS. I just need the wiring to be capable for myself in my house (four), the other two that are rented and the other unit that my friend owns. We're in an area that doesn't even get digital cable, so this is the BEST option.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
You can do it with two swm16s daisy chained. That will let you run 32 tuners.

Really? No weird crap? What about features such as Whole Home DVR? Where would I get the SWM16s? If I was daisy chaining, wouldn't I have to give up one of those output ports? How would the exact setup go? Etc.
[/FONT]

Digiblur answered the technical issue. As to the dish restriction from the HOA, I am not sure if you are aware that an HOA has very limited authority in limiting the number and placement of satellite dishes and other types of antennas to receive TV.

See the following Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov
Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

I was not aware of that, however, I wasn't really even supposed to originally get the authorization to do this dish, so it's just a matter of me not wanting to raise anymore flags. That surely is interesting info though. That said, with the SWM's, could one of y'all perhaps provide a link to what I'll need? I just want to be absolutely sure that what I order is correct. Also, the building owner info on directv's site was quite good as well. If I must go that route for legal reasons, I will. I would just rather not make a mountain out of a molehill if I don't have to, you know?

Thanks again for the help so far everyone!!!!!

I was not aware of that, however, I wasn't really even supposed to originally get the authorization to do this dish, so it's just a matter of me not wanting to raise anymore flags. That surely is interesting info though. That said, with the SWM's, could one of y'all perhaps provide a link to what I'll need? I just want to be absolutely sure that what I order is correct. Also, the building owner info on directv's site was quite good as well. If I must go that route for legal reasons, I will. I would just rather not make a mountain out of a molehill if I don't have to, you know?

If someone else could provide the definition of "account stacking," It would be greatly appreciated. This is why I gave the building owner & MDU information. Before you set up anything,you should that to DIRECTV,explain your situation & what you plan to do,& I'm sure that they can steer you in the right direction AND account.

I attached a graphic. You wouldn't need the 72.5 and 95 orbitals of course. So it would just be four lines from the dish.

Attachments

• 2-SWiM16.png
    2-SWiM16.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 188
I attached a graphic. You wouldn't need the 72.5 and 95 orbitals of course. So it would just be four lines from the dish.
That is INCREDIBLY helpful! Question though, what I have to get the LNB replaced with one that has four lines out? I have one that is the SLS3 (I believe) with one output line, but, I assume that would NOT work in this case. Also, could I get an SLS5 and make that work somehow? Sorry again about all of the stupid questions! Again, that graphic is IMMENSELY helpful!

Just got one HELL of a deal on two of those NEW on eBay. $179.98 FOR BOTH! That said, I still have to buy the power supplies and SWM Splitters, but nevertheless one hell of a deal!

Just got one HELL of a deal on two of those NEW on eBay. $179.98 FOR BOTH! That said, I still have to buy the power supplies and SWM Splitters, but nevertheless one hell of a deal!

The SL3 LNB,whether SWM or 4 cable output,covers the 99,101,& 103 satellites(covers 3 satellites). The SL5 LNB,again whether SWM or 4 cable output,adds 110(which doesn't really have anything on it anymore) & 119(which is where Spanish programming,some PI channels,like the Jewish Channel,& some local channels are located) satellites(covers 99,101,103,110,& 119 satellites).

I want to tell you(or bore you with) a story. In addition to having DIRECTV,I just added Dish Network last week. Getting Dish Network was a plan I had for years. Along with planning,I amassed a "war chest" of what I thought I'd need. I bought a 1000.4 Western Arc dish,& because I thought that I couldn't get the 129 satellite,I also bought a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish & Dish Plus Pro 44 multiswitch with power inserter to connect the two together. When an installer,who was in Ohio & couldn't help me in Georgia,suggested I just set up the Eastern Arc & buy a wing dish with a single LNB to pick up my HD locals carried on 119 & connect it through the Eastern Arc LNB & bypass using the Western Arc dish & DPP44,well you guessed it,I went out & bought a Dish 500,I adapter,& single LNB. Well the local installer came out,I proudly showed him what all I had(including expensive "Dish approved" coaxial cable & F-connectors.Oh & don't let me forget the extra mast with struts I bought for roof install on my roof),well he just went out into my front yard,somehow found the sweet spot for picking up 129 which "I knew" I wasn't able to get,planted a pole in my yard(so much for my masts with struts),hooked everything up,& I ended up with a whole bunch of excess crap that it turned out that I really didn't need & wasted a whole lot of money(of course a lot of what I bought did help out & save steps for him,but that's not the point of what I'm trying to tell you). Before you spend another dime,call a local satellite installer who is familiar with DIRECTV set ups,& let him(or her) assess what it is you really need. If you don't you'll just be buying hit & miss,& like me,you'll just end up with a lot of stuff you don't need.

Last edited:
royrdsjr said:
I want to tell you(or bore you with) a story. In addition to having DIRECTV,I just added Dish Network last week. Getting Dish Network was a plan I had for years. Along with planning,I amassed a "war chest" of what I thought I'd need. I bought a 1000.4 Western Arc dish,& because I thought that I couldn't get the 129 satellite,I also bought a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish & Dish Plus Pro 44 multiswitch with power inserter to connect the two together. When an installer,who was in Ohio & couldn't help me in Georgia,suggested I just set up the Eastern Arc & buy a wing dish with a single LNB to pick up my HD locals carried on 119 & connect it through the Eastern Arc LNB & bypass using the Western Arc dish & DPP44,well you guessed it,I went out & bought a Dish 500,I adapter,& single LNB. Well the local installer came out,I proudly showed him what all I had(including expensive "Dish approved" coaxial cable & F-connectors.Oh & don't let me forget the extra mast with struts I bought for roof install on my roof),well he just went out into my front yard,somehow found the sweet spot for picking up 129 which "I knew" I wasn't able to get,planted a pole in my yard(so much for my masts with struts),hooked everything up,& I ended up with a whole bunch of excess crap that it turned out that I really didn't need & wasted a whole lot of money(of course a lot of what I bought did help out & save steps for him,but that's not the point of what I'm trying to tell you). Before you spend another dime,call a local satellite installer who is familiar with DIRECTV set ups,& let him(or her) assess what it is you really need. If you don't you'll just be buying hit & miss,& like me,you'll just end up with a lot of stuff you don't need.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This website is a HUGE help to both subs and installers. We've all gotten an idea from the website and forums and learn a lot BUT a tech actually seeing and being face to face with the situation is going to save you do much more time and money. Have somebody come look then get your intel from them then come back and fill us all in on what was said and maybe we can tweak his idea and help you get EXACTLY what you're wanting/needing without such a headache :)

I appreciate the advice from everyone here and totally understand where y'all are coming from. I don't necessarily have as much room to f**k around though, as I will only har a week to do this and have NO CLUE about local DirecTV reps in this area. I would actually normally be the first one to take your advice, and not deal with excess crap, but this is kind of just one of those situations where I don't have as much wiggle room. That said, y'all have been absolutely excellent so far and EVERYTHING is much appreciated.

That said, one last question, since the SL3 or SL5 would theoretically work, I guess I would just run the single line in to the SWM16 multi switch to a single port. But, which one is the question? Are there any special configurations that need to be done? Or does the multi switch automatically pick up that the LNB the line is running in from is picking off of all applicable satellites?

Thanks again for everything!

skippinjack said:
I appreciate the advice from everyone here and totally understand where y'all are coming from. I don't necessarily have as much room to f**k around though, as I will only har a week to do this and have NO CLUE about local DirecTV reps in this area. I would actually normally be the first one to take your advice, and not deal with excess crap, but this is kind of just one of those situations where I don't have as much wiggle room. That said, y'all have been absolutely excellent so far and EVERYTHING is much appreciated.

That said, one last question, since the SL3 or SL5 would theoretically work, I guess I would just run the single line in to the SWM16 multi switch to a single port. But, which one is the question? Are there any special configurations that need to be done? Or does the multi switch automatically pick up that the LNB the line is running in from is picking off of all applicable satellites?

Thanks again for everything!

You can't use a typical SWM LNB on a SWM 16. You will need 4 lines from your LNB to the switch as shown in the pictures provided

You can't use a typical SWM LNB on a SWM 16. You will need 4 lines from your LNB to the switch as shown in the pictures provided
That's kind of what I figured. So is this essentially the only way they do it for larger installations? How many tuners could you run off of one of the one line LNBs with integrated multi switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)