Newbie trying to add a Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dhagen

Original poster
May 27, 2021
Olympia WA
Want to add a Joey to a nearby outbuilding. The only access I have to the dish wiring is on the antenna itself. What do I need in terms of equipment on the antenna (or next to it, obviously outside) to add a second coax line leading to where the new Joey will be. Again, the only access I have to the signal is on or at the antenna

Thx!!!!

Want to add a Joey to a nearby outbuilding. The only access I have to the dish wiring is on the antenna itself. What do I need in terms of equipment on the antenna (or next to it, obviously outside) to add a second coax line leading to where the new Joey will be. Again, the only access I have to the signal is on or at the antenna

Thx!!!!
Not going to work. You need access to the hub/node (depending on what Hopper you have) or at least to a coax feeding another Joey. Good luck.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What do I need in terms of equipment on the antenna (or next to it, obviously outside) to add a second coax line leading to where the new Joey will be.
For several years, I had just a Hopper 3. When the service was installed, they put in a "Hybrid Solo Hub" (looks like a splitter) which has 4 coax ports on it, and is labeled Hybrid Solo Hub, within a few feet of the dish antenna. One cable from the antenna goes to the "ODU" port. One cable from the Hopper goes to the "Host" port. When I purchased a couple of Joeys, I connected coax from them to the two other ports on the Hub which are labeled "Client". In fact, I have a splitter on one of those feeds so that the hub can feed 3 Joeys.
See if you have a Hybrid Solo Hub near your dish antenna and go from there. The coax that feeds your Hopper will go to this hub, not directly to the dish antenna AFAIK.

Want to add a Joey to a nearby outbuilding.
How "nearby" is that? Can you get WiFi out there? I run one of my Joey's on GigE alone (without MoCA). Dish does offer wireless dongles for their receivers. Perhaps your outbuilding is near enough for that to work.

Note that I have not tried this! Note also that such a configuraton is not supported by Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
it's a PITA to run a coax to an outbuilding properly, while
the wireless dongle is a cheap thing to try
Who said the coax had to be run "properly"? :cool:

The wireless dongle is an interesting idea.

To dhagen: if running coax, use RG6 (quad shield if possible). If a long run, like over 700 feet, you might consider RG11 cable.

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
You said you have access ONLY to the outside wiring or the wiring at the dish/reflector. As Bobby stated, you need access to the Hub/Node. You might have access to that if it is outside, or if if is under a house/building floor to which you can access. The Joey is a CLIENT, not a "receiver." I am restating what Bobby said to emphasize the point and so you don't think that he is mistaken; Bobby knows what he is talking about. Sorry, but no can do by your described situation and limited access.

Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)