Newbie trying to find true south or magnetic azimuth???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelvin

Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
My location.....

Lat. is 122.15
Long. is 37.68

From this, I guess the satellite that I should be pointing to is 119W. But how should I point the dish cuz I am using a motor and some sites that I have visited recommend pointing my dish to the magnetic azimuth?? which is 107.53. Very confused in all this and hoping to get some answer. If I have a compass, what should I be looking at?

You should use 123.0°W as your true South satellite.

Satellite: 123.0°W Galaxy 10R C/Ku

Elevation: 46.3°
True Azimuth: 181.4°
Magnetic Declination: -14.1°
Magnetic Azimuth (Compass): 167.3°
Polarization (LNB): 1.1° COUNTER-CLOCKWISE or Left looking towards the dish.

Kelvin,
when you have everything installed, make sure the motor is at zero.Make sure the dish and motor is pointed at true south, so that you can get on the arc.Remember to us an active transponder frequency from iceberg's list.

Kelvin, I assume it's just a typo, but make sure you know the difference between Lat and long cause the numbers you have are reversed. If you get these confused, it'll mess up your installation and receiver setup if you use USALS.

Also, here is a decent site I use for aiming info

Satellite look-angle calculator

The Satellite Angle Calc that is a part of TheList also calculates the Magnetic Declination for you. (If you are on the North American continent or Alaska/Hawaii)

Geesh man, take some time off, it was Christmas! :) I was in the over-eating, lack of sleep haze for the whole week, no wonder I missed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts