newbie upgrade question, help please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sheetzdw

Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
St. Louis, MO USA
I am trying to upgrade my existing system which consists of a Dish 500 with Quad LNB , a 311 receiver, a 811 HD receiver and a 522 receiver with 2 drops to all tv locations ran from a wiring closet where all my sat dops (4) come in.

I would like to add a Model 322 Dual Tuner Receiver (already purchased myself) and use the Dish 'n' it up upgrade by trading in my 811 and 311 for an addditional 522 receiver to the list so I can have a total of 6 separately controlled tv’s from 2 Model 522 and one model 322 receivers.

What is the least expensive way to do this? Do I need a DPP44 switch and if I use the Dish n it up upgrade if they will supply the switch? I really want to only use 1 drop per dual tuner to feed so I can use the 2nd drop to backfeed my modulated signal then combine and pump all 6 tuners to all 12 tv's I have by only selecting which channel the tuner I want to watch is modulated to.

I assume if you have 4 satellite locations that you already have 1 DPP 44 switch. If you are getting rid of the 811 you could just use that port and seperate it at the receiver. Without more information about your current set up it'd be hard to answer this question. To many possible configurations you might have.

JohnTenn said:
I assume if you have 4 satellite locations that you already have 1 DPP 44 switch. If you are getting rid of the 811 you could just use that port and seperate it at the receiver. Without more information about your current set up it'd be hard to answer this question. To many possible configurations you might have.
John I don't know how much more information he can provide
in the first line of his post he states he has a DISH 500 with a QUAD.

I don't know what to suggest to answer his question, the upgrade dosen't require a DPP44 be used with his current activated receivers. Best suggestion is call DISH and see what they will offer.:)

Thanks for the quick response guys, yes I have the Dish 500 and a Quad LNBF with 4 outputs - 1 goes to the 311 reciever 1 to the HD 811 receiver, and 2 to the 522 DVR receiver. so I have no multiswitches currenly. 2 main problems are :

1. The Model 522 has 2 lead ins from the satellite which causes me to run the modulated output cable across the floor to another wall plate ( very messy) with DP Plus switch I believe I only need 1 line to feed if I buy a DPP separator ($10 cheap) then I could backfeed the modulated output with my other run in the same wallplate. my new 322 has a seaparator already included in the box.

2. Not sure if Dish will supply a DPP44 switch to make it all work and do not want to pay for upgrades and 18 month committment if they will force me to buy a switch also (DPP44 runs almost $200)

I only need to receive the current channels I get, 180 + local package ( I have the HD package but could do without)

boba said:
John I don't know how much more information he can provide
in the first line of his post he states he has a DISH 500 with a QUAD.

Missed that. I'm sorry. Been dealing with so many HD customers who have 129 or 61.5 I developed tunnel vision and only seen 811 reciever. :)

To answer the OP question then. You have a few options. First choice would be using the existing DP quad with a DP 34 switch, run 2 lines from the quad, 110 and 119, to the DP 34 port 1 and 2 inputs. Use the remaining 2 ports on the quad for receivers and you have 4 ports on the DP 34 for receivers.

Only other option is a DPP 44 Switch so you can seperate the signal on the dual tuners and have 1 port left over.

If you use the first option, I'm fairly certain Dish will pay for it as part of a Dishn' it up agreement. If you want the DPP 44 you may need to do some talking to get the CSR to waive the fees.

Last edited:
Sheetzdw said:
Thanks for the quick response guys, yes I have the Dish 500 and a Quad LNBF with 4 outputs - 1 goes to the 311 reciever 1 to the HD 811 receiver, and 2 to the 522 DVR receiver. so I have no multiswitches currenly. 2 main problems are :

1. The Model 522 has 2 lead ins from the satellite which causes me to run the modulated output cable across the floor to another wall plate ( very messy) with DP Plus switch I believe I only need 1 line to feed if I buy a DPP separator ($10 cheap) then I could backfeed the modulated output with my other run in the same wallplate. my new 322 has a seaparator already included in the box.

The Seperator included in the box for the 322 is designed to work with Dish Pro Plus equipment only. It allows you to run one cable from the switch or lnb and then seperate (or split which is kind of what it does) to the 2 inputs on the back of the reciever. A diplexor is actually what allows you to backfeed a moduated output to the 2nd TV down the same line as the satellite input.

Sheetzdw said:
2. Not sure if Dish will supply a DPP44 switch to make it all work and do not want to pay for upgrades and 18 month committment if they will force me to buy a switch also (DPP44 runs almost $200)

If you do a Dishn' it up, you are going to have at least a 12 month commitment so might as well get it all at once. Still going to have to argue the need of a DPP 44 Switch though. Dish is really cracking down on the use of these due to the expense of the item.

I guess that narrows in down to this:

Is it better to use my 2 feeds in my wallplate for then use diplexers to backfeed the modulated signal or get DP + equipment and use 1 cable for input and 1 to send signal back to my distribution panel? Are there any known problems/caveats with backfeeding? The only problem when backfeeding is that I will need 2 DP34 switches because I will need 2 inputs for the 322 receiver, 2 for the 522 receiver and 1 for 811 HD Receiver and 1 for 311 receiver , altogether a lot of connections. I already tried to call Dish but their person did not speak english well and has very little understanding of what equipment is needed to have 6 receivers.

First suggestion is select option for tech support, that should help eliminate the Indians. Second diplexers cost a lot less than DPP44 so backfeeding on a satellite cable makes sense. Third with a Dish Pro Quad you only need 1 DP34. You need 6 inputs 2 unused on the Quad and 4 from the DP34, you will be using 2 of the feeds from the Quad to feed the DP34.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)