Newbie with a problem In Arizona

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rgbarnes

Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Hello all,

my name is Ron and I am new to the FTA arena. I purchased a viewsat Ultra and motorized dish with quad LNB from Go Satellite. I have followed all of the instruction. but I do not get a good signal .

I am located in Pinetop AZ Long 109.444 Lat 34.12

The pole is vertical when measured with a level on three sides and across the top.

The dish is oriented to true south as varified by using a compass with an offset of 11.94 degreees declination. And using the old boy scout three sticks in the ground to find EW and coming off that line at 90 degrees.

The motor elevation is set by using the elevation and the Latitude scales on either side of the mount. Latitued is set at 34 Degrees and elevation at 55.5.

The dish angle is set per the motor infomation at 30 minus 5.5 or 24.5.

I have tried to use USALS to locate various satellites. and Installer mode to move te dish.

I get a signal strength from 60 to 67 accross the board.

I have reset the reciever to factory default and manually returned the dish to 0 degrees before testing.

I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can not figure out what. Any help you can give me would be greatly apprecaited.

Ron

A heads up on your magnetic declination: It is 10 degrees, 38 minutes East as of today and decreasing by six minutes per year.

I adjusted for the magnetic error with no results. Does geographic elevation make a difference? I am located at 8000 plus elevation. Is acorrection required?

Ron

Your elevation makes no difference.

What is the size of your satellite dish, what brand of motor are you using?

You said that you get a signal strength of 60 to 67, do you mean signal level or quality level?

Have you picked up any channels yet?

If it is quality then it might not be bad depending on the size of the dish.

I purchased a viewsat Ultra and motorized dish with quad LNB from Go Satellite.
Which LNB?
Which output of the LNB are you using?
Do you have any switches between the LNB and motor?
(I am assuming you are wired: LNB-----motor-----receiver.)
What settings on the receiver do you have for your LO frequency (Local Oscillator)?

There are a lot of variables, and making it all work the first time requires getting everything perfect.
You might even consider removing the motor and getting your feet wet with just the dish/lnb on one satellite.

Viewsat ULTRA, 90cm (35 inch) Dish, STAB HH-90 Rotor, Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNBF, CD-

I copied the information from GoSatellite into the title since this space will not accept a copy.

60 to 70 is signa not quality. I have yet to get a quality reading. No channels have been found.

Ron
=======================================================

Your elevation makes no difference.

What is the size of your satellite dish, what brand of motor are you using?

You said that you get a signal strength of 60 to 67, do you mean signal level or quality level?

Have you picked up any channels yet?

If it is quality then it might not be bad depending on the size of the dish.

Viewsat ULTRA, 90cm (35 inch) Dish, STAB HH-90 Rotor, Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNBF, CD-

The equipment lis is in the title.

LNB is connected to the SW-41 that came with the reciever. All four LNB connections are made and a cable goes to the motor. A 100ft cable goes from the motor to the reciever.

Your question about the LO setting leaves me feeling like the Geico caveman. Huh?

I will try the dish without motor, can you suggest a good satellite to work with? I have tried several and get the same readings and non-results from all I have tried,

Which LNB?
Which output of the LNB are you using?
Do you have any switches between the LNB and motor?
(I am assuming you are wired: LNB-----motor-----receiver.)
What settings on the receiver do you have for your LO frequency (Local Oscillator)?

There are a lot of variables, and making it all work the first time requires getting everything perfect.
You might even consider removing the motor and getting your feet wet with just the dish/lnb on one satellite.

Since you are located in Pinetop AZ Long 109.444 Lat 34.12
I would recommend trying to point at 93.0°W, 97.0°W or 123.0°W they have regular programing on them.

I am not sure what the Viewsat's call the LO frequency setting but if you check in the menu you should see a number like 10600, 10750, or 11250 that is the LO frequency.

In your case you should set yours to 10750 for Linear FTA (Most FTA) or 11250 for Circular FTA (A few channels).

Also when setting up the motor make sure you set the DiSEqC port setting to the same port as what you have the lnb's setup at the DiSEqC switch.

Ron, the Echostar bird at 110 is your true south satellite(same as your longitude). Set up the qph-031 so you are wired to a "c" port on the lnbf. Skip the switch for now, just go straight to the motor. In the receiver set the lo to 11250, you probably won't get any channels, might be a barker or something, been a while since I looked there but you will get quality, those dbs satellites are strong and much easier to find than the linear ones. Once you get a signal you can fine tune it, then move the cable on the lnbf to a "L" port, set the receiver to Usals, change the lo to 10750 and you should find some birds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)