newbie with hughesnet dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to mount the j pole to the wooden post, but I'm still not sure how it will work out. I did get the coax ran into the house and plugged into my receiver so now all I really need to do is mount and align.

However, I can't work on it today as my driver's side power window motor went out on my car with the window DOWN and now I have to replace it today so I don't have to drive around with the window down when its 25 degrees lol.

Quick question: Are Powervu feeds encrypted? On 'the list' some of the channels are in red. Does this mean they are encrypted (as in the powervu case) and are not really FTA? If so I'm not asking how to hack them b/c I'm not interested in that. Just wondering so I can figure out what channels I will really have access to legally through FTA

PowerVu is encrypted, but sometimes you will find one that 'works' anyway. I always scan "ALL" because you never know when something might be there that usually isn't watchable.

Question:

Are Powervu feeds encrypted? 'The List' has some feeds in red font, including the Powervu channels. Does the red font mean they are encrypted? I couldn't find a key or anything anywhere that said what the red meant.

:EDIT:
Not sure how I missed the post above this one! Sorry for that!

:END EDIT:

Last edited:
Yes, read above post. PowerVu is encryption method. $ Sign in front of channels usually means scrambled. But sometimes you will find them unlocked temporarily-you never know!

Here's some pics. This is on the south side of my house.

I would be concerned about all the water off the roof and where it goes when it is both running off the roof during a storm and later just dripping. The drip line in the grass looks like it might be right about at the dish once it is mounted, or near the back of the dish. That would potentially mean when the water is rushing off the roof during a storm it will be all over the dish and maybe even the LNB.

If you have it, I would look at the old J pole and dish that was mounted there and see if it shows any wear or rust from water and get an idea how far from the house it was hanging.

Water isn't too big of a deal when you have everything sealed up well, but I wouldn't want it to sit under a deluge off the roof either. Especially if I was watching TV at the time. ;-)

Yeah that could be a problem. The old dish that used to be on the post doesn't look rusted or anything, but it was also a lot smaller so it could have not been completely underneath the dripping. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the dish to the post. I want to use the j pole and someone attach all of it to the wooden post, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that. Also, I'm not sure that a ground mount would work because the next house is pretty close and the dish may not get a good view of the sky from the ground. I still have the option of going on the roof, but being a poor college student I can't afford a nice ladder and would have to borrow one every time I needed on the roof. Hopefully this week I'll think of something and will have time this weekend to finish mounting it. If you guys have any ideas please let me know!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)