Newbie with questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

87bob

Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
Franklin, IN
We are new to Dish. We have had Dish a little more than 30 days. Over all we are very pleased, we made the switch from Comcast. All that said I realize that there is more to know about the equipment then I know. We have the following equipment: Hopper, Wireless Joey, and a Wired Joey.

Here are my questions.
How can I setup my Hopper remote to turn off my Sony Receiver when I shut down the system? Do they have an all off function that I can program?

I know the Wireless Joey receives a signal from the Hopper. How can I boost that signal? My signal strength is only in the 10-12 range.

Is the signal the Wireless Joey receives from the Hopper part of the wireless internet network? Or is it a separate network and signal.

The reason for the two previous questions is that my picture on the set that is supplied by the wireless Joey is freezing. I'm sure (or fairly so) that it has to do with the low signal strength. My Hopper and the Wireless Joey are at opposite ends of the house.

We are new to Dish. We have had Dish a little more than 30 days. Over all we are very pleased, we made the switch from Comcast. All that said I realize that there is more to know about the equipment then I know. We have the following equipment: Hopper, Wireless Joey, and a Wired Joey.

Here are my questions.
How can I setup my Hopper remote to turn off my Sony Receiver when I shut down the system? Do they have an all off function that I can program?

I know the Wireless Joey receives a signal from the Hopper. How can I boost that signal? My signal strength is only in the 10-12 range.

Is the signal the Wireless Joey receives from the Hopper part of the wireless internet network? Or is it a separate network and signal.

The reason for the two previous questions is that my picture on the set that is supplied by the wireless Joey is freezing. I'm sure (or fairly so) that it has to do with the low signal strength. My Hopper and the Wireless Joey are at opposite ends of the house.
The Wireless Joeys are supposed to use an Joey Access Point provided by Dish and connected to the H3 - the Hopper does not itself "send a signal" to the WJ's. The WAP looks physically a lot like the WJ.

It is a separate wireless connection between the access point and the joey.
Page 7: http://manuals.solidsignal.com/wirelessjoeysetup.pdf

If you are getting poor signal quality you will have to look at moving/relocating the WAP and/or the Joey.

Another option to try if you have the ability to put a physical Ethernet connection where your Joey is located (not the WAP by the Hopper), is to connect the wireless Joey directly to the Ethernet cable then that may help. That's how I have mine set up. I don't even have the WAP connected. It's in the box on a shelf somewhere. However, if you have a lot of people in your house all connecting devices to your network then it may negatively impact this as well.

Good luck.

Signal strenght for wireless joey should be a min 30 to 40 range. Your install is only 30 days old, contact DISH and have them come and fix the installation, there is no excuse for a poor install.

As for the remote question it can be done. Go into the remote control settings menu and then you will see where you can set the remote to control your tv or your receiver. I have mine set to shut off the box, tv, and my Yamaha receiver.

As for the remote question it can be done. Go into the remote control settings menu and then you will see where you can set the remote to control your tv or your receiver. I have mine set to shut off the box, tv, and my Yamaha receiver.

This is good news for me, as that was a complaint I had about the remote. However I think my H3 has a bug. When I tried to set up my Yamaha receiver, once I got to the screen to select the brand, the screen freezes and goes back the the settings screen.

My Hopper and the Wireless Joey are at opposite ends of the house.

Signal strenght for wireless joey should be a min 30 to 40 range. Your install is only 30 days old, contact DISH and have them come and fix the installation, there is no excuse for a poor install.

Agree that Dish needs to ensure their equipment and devices are installed properly but Dish can't be responsible for trying to make wireless work within a home or business. Too many variables. We also don't know the type of construction, layout or size of home the original poster has...or even if opposite ends of the house also means on the same floor or on different floors.

Agree that Dish needs to ensure their equipment and devices are installed properly but Dish can't be responsible for trying to make wireless work within a home or business. Too many variables. We also don't know the type of construction, layout or size of home the original poster has...or even if opposite ends of the house also means on the same floor or on different floors.
True to a degree, as an installer however, I have a responsibility to ensure a functioning system before I leave and we have options as to how and where the WAP is positioned. Failing that, I would need to discuss the limitations and possibly switch to wired.

Reactions: Tron2012
True to a degree, as an installer however, I have a responsibility to ensure a functioning system before I leave and we have options as to how and where the WAP is positioned.

I apologize as I did not know you had a horse in the race as an installer. Still, I have to feel for you in trying to focus on wireless signal strength considering all the different scenarios installers would face. Wondering if maybe the customer is limiting the issue. Meaning, when I put in my wireless Joey the received signal was pretty poor when I had the WAP near all my other equipment in our entertainment center. If I put it at the top of the cabinet or on the sides it was much better, but the wife didn't want to see other equipment in odd places, more cables routed all over, etc... Why I opted for the direct Ethernet connection which works really well in my situation.

I will add that I like your attitude toward trying to make it as good as possible as an installer. Know you guys face many challenges each day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)