Newbies Go C-Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks, Voom, I checked out the site. I see that the problem can be cured for $49.00 plus shipping. Can you take a look at the last three or four replies to this thread? We can come up with another 49 bucks, but the possibility of immediate gratification has a lot of appeal for us right now. Can you tell me what "address" Ice and Euro were talking about? Thanks!!

I on the 905 I think its menu 6-3-1

It says "change remote address"

otherwise do this
press and hold down the sat button until all lights blink then let go
press 000 and the sat light should blink 3 times....try the remote
if it doesnt work repeat but try 001 then 002 003...one should work

Ice, You Da Man!!

We now have a remote! It went almost exctly as you described it. I took the 410's remote back into the family room, and tried using the front panel buttons first. There was no option to change the address there, so I moved on to the next step in your reply. Here's where it varied slightly. I held down the Sat button for several seconds, but the lights did not blink. There was a barely perceptable pulsing, but no definite blinking. I tried entering the code anyway, but of course, nothing happened. Then, I don't know why I tried this, but I held down the *light* labeled Sat, and to my surprise all the lights blinked. I then entered 000, watched the Sat light blink three times, and tried the remote. No go. Then I tried again using 001, and that was it! Now we are ready for the next steps, but first I'm going to read up a little more on the 920 receiver.
THANKS ICE! Your knowledge of this stuff is amazing.

The "light" buttons are for which device you want to "control".
The "Blue" SAT button will bring up the menu to tell the receiver which sat to go to.

whoops.....thats what I meant...the lighted button on top for sat :eek:
(the Starchoice remotes only have one "sat" button and thats the one to select the satellite receiver vs. the TV or DVD player)

but glad you got it working :)

by the way..I learned that trick from getting old Dish Network boxes off Ebay that didnt have remotes and I didnt know what address they used for the receiver ;)

Okay, thanks to Iceberg, we got the 410's remote to talk to the 920. Now my problem seems to be that the BUD is stuck all the way West. I followed the Skyvision directions to set limits, but I didn't get very far. I pressed Options, 6, 4, 3, which took me to "Set Dish Limits". But somehow the receiver, which has just been hooked up recently, and just met the BUD for the first time, tells us onscreen that the BUD is positioned at 6699. I don't know what that means, but I can tell you for sure that the BUD is turned all the way West, and is practically bending the little arm that comes out of the sleeve.

Skipping the East limit setting, I entered 6680 as the West limit, then pressed Enter, and finally tried "Go Back". But when I looked outside, the BUD is still trying to bend it's own little arm. It has not moved. What can I do?

(Ice, please move this thread to the C-Band Forum. Thanks!)

EBay... what a source.

Okay guys, now that we have a working remote, I would like to switch back to the thread titled "Newbies Go C-band", on whichever forum it currently resides. Thanks!
CenterFreq

I just tried again, by changing from G1 to C3, but there was no error message. I did note that the number 6699 appeared in the upper right corner at first. That is the same number I found on the Set Limits screen, as the dish's current position.

Are these some kind of "index" numbers? They are obviously not degrees and minutes. What can I do now?

The Numbers are "Pulse Counts". At the end of the Arm, at the motor end, there is a device that counts the revolutions as it moves. The actual number does not matter, or related to anything specific, it's just a way for the receiver to keep track of the Motor.

Do the numbers change when you are trying to move the Dish?
The receiver should give an error if it does not "see" the Arm moving, "see" as in counting the pulses.

If the Arm is bent....
bend it's own little arm
the Arm may not be connected to the rest of it.
Can you stand at the Dish to listen, while someone inside tries to move it.

Yes, I can go up there and listen. Please hold on while I round up a volunteer to man the remote.

Okay here's what happened. I sat my wife in front of the screen, which was displaying a bunch of satellite numbers. C3 was highlighted and had a big red check mark on it. We then selected G1, but I told her not to press enter until I cell phoned her from the roof. Then I went up and got as close to the actuator(?) as I could, and called her. Shortly after, she said that there was a message on the screen. I had heard nothing from the BUD. I went down and the message was "You have selected a satellite that is beyond your limits. Go to the Set Limits menu and change your limits." The I pressed Go Back to clear the message and noted that the receiver still thinks its pointed at C3.
I had set the West limit earlier to 6680, but the dish was already stuck all the way West when I did that.

Yes, I can and it is now set at 6700. But the dish is still jammed tight against it's own support structure. Do I dare try to move it remotely?

depending on weather you have a left (side) mounted motor or right (side) mounted motor you could be at the limit of the actuator arm. this would give the actuator arm the look of being bent. in some cases the dish flops in others it catches on part of the dish and gets into a bind.

my dish is a right side mounted motor and will develop or run in to the possibility of dish flop going east to far .... its the opposite for a left side mounted motor ( it would be going to far west)

if the arm will not move the dish back east then i suspect you've gone to far west and will have to help the dish reconnect the arm to the actuator body and then make sure you don't travel that far west again ( setting the limit less than what its at now 6699)

to make further west adjustments can be made adjusting the motor bracket holding the actuator body

Status
Please reply by conversation.