Newbies Gone Wild

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thank you, guys. TurboSat, I must agree that the new "anime" cartoons are strange. I grew up with Woody Woodpecker and Bugs Bunny... short time later Mickey Mouse Club. But we are probably going to persue #1's desires as a different project. First I have to get Mom and #3 back into the fold.

The 3.5 inch hand held compass did arrive today, really easy for my tired eyes to see. The smallest graduations are 2 degrees, with longer marks every 10. The main numbering goes by 20s, as in 20, 40, 60, 80, etc. I immediately noticed that the grid of our little city is about 4 degrees off of straight North/South. This I determined by looking at the straight-as-an-arrow curbstone of the street that runs away from us to the South.

I've got an family APB out on that little sat finder. We used it once about two months ago when we were using the Dish 500 with a circular LNB. WEC4104, to save you from having to search back through 3 pages of posts, let's just say that 3 months ago, my sons and I could not tell a pirate from a prince unless an eye patch was being worn. We were sold a combination that could not work for FTA, even though I told him I was after FTA.

Now we have the right pieces, it's just that the puzzle likes to move around. BTW: to any member considering buying a 4 foot dish, I love this GeoSat Pro that I bought from one of the sponsors at the top of the page. I can loosen all of the bolts for side to side adjustment, and the dish does not slip because of a metal tongue that protrudes over the top of the mast. This seems to me like a really nice design feature, that I had not noticed when the motor was in the way (yes, the motor is out of the mix until I can get a handle on this whole thing). Another nice feature is the rod that is used for elevation. I can completely loosen the two nuts on the side, and make adjustments up and down just using the rod. When I am ready, I tighten the nuts on the rod first, then go for the two on the side. Love this GeoSat Pro!

Okay, to continue, I have reduced the configuration down to just the mounting pole, the dish, the wires going down, and the receiver/TV set rig. There is no motor and no DISEqC switch currently for me to deal with. I'm still a noob. For anyone else that has been following this thread, member Anole pretty much told me to start out this way, keeping things simple at first, even mounting the dish on the ground if possible. If our house was not on the South edge of our property, the dish would be down there right now.

Now I need to print out WEC4104's instructions from above, and carry out the pertinent sections. Since we have not found the little sat finder, I will be leaving here shortly to drive over to the Jolly Roger and pick up a new one. Another ten bucks, but I can almost smell the FTA channels at this point.

Just came off the roof, about 9:25pm Pacific Daylight Time. Started blind scan, currently about 50% done. I'll check back in a few.

Here's a partial list, can somebody tell me what I'm aiming at?

0120 History Channel
0124 Black Entertainment
0129 BRAVO
0158 FUSE
0161 MTV2
0180 ABC Family
0184 Animal Planet
0204 Court TV
0270 Inivisi? (Este)
0273 Galavisi? (Este)
0300 HBO - East
0327 The Movie East
0659 DUBSP
0671 MLODY
0672 DANDA
0673 ZOOM
- and 23 more. Also there is a radio station, 0780 ZIKR, but all of these appear to be pay channels so none of them show up as channels we can actually see.

I would like to know what I'm aimed at,
-and-
Do I have some kind of pirate rig and I just don't know it? How come no FTA channels pop up?

Can that be??? Here is what it says on the box:

Twin KU LNBF
Part NO:JSC322
RF frequency:11.7 - 12.2 GHz
IF frequency:950 - 1450MHz
LO frequency:10.75GHz
Noise Figure:0.3db
DMS International
www.dmsiusa.com

I thought that the site said "linear" when I ordered it. Maybe I set something wrong when I went through Antenna Installation on my receiver?
I changed it from Universal to Standard and set the frequency to 10760, which is the closest choice my receiver allows. I set LNB Power to ON, and I set the DISEqC Switch to OFF.
Is all that okay? What's the diff between Universal and Standard?

The specs you posted are for a standard LNBF (L.O. 10750). A universal would have two L.O. settings (9750 and 10600). Your receiver doesn't have a L.O. setting for 10750? That's strange... 10760 is not standard, although I doubt it would make a difference.

A linear LNBF will pick up circular signals such as the Dish Network birds, but at a lower quality (around half of what it would be with a circular LNBF). That's why you're still able to pick up those channels with a linear LNBF.

Okay, after putting my eyeballs right up near the TV screen, I see that the choice for LO freq IS 10750. So my LNBF is a linear with two outputs, which I guess matches up with "Tuner A" and "Tuner B" of my receiver? And the reason I now get 155 pay TV channels (all black screen), and 25 pay radio channels (all silent), and NO FTA, is because I am pointing NEAR 119, and not dead on??? Or is it possible that there is some other tiny mistake I am making?

ALERT! you have locked on to a satellite. DO NOT make any major change yet. Chose the satellite you want and figure which way and how many degrees you are off, then make tiny adjustments THEN scan again. This is where many people lose all signal and get discouraged - snaching certain defeat from the hands of absolute victory!
POP

Just to set the record straight: I got about half way back to the store where I originally bought the Dish 500 and receiver, when it hit me; why should I pay that guy any more money when I now know what he is up to. So I detoured over to Fry's Electronics and bought a new sat finder for $29.95. That means I paid 19 bucks more just to avoid giving that pirate another nickel.

When I turned the set on this morning, I got another surprise: Four more pay stations showed up, but they each had a label at the upper left of the screen "SatMex 5 116.8W", even though I had selected EchoStar 9 when I ran the blind scan. See the photo, this is the second of four, ID'ed as "Equador TV". The screen was black.

Now can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• DSC_0319a.JPG
    DSC_0319a.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 127
Remember the receiver is not smart enough to "know" where it is pointed.
When you scanned, you selected Echostar 9, eventhough it may be pointed at a different Sat.
Looks like you have SatMex 5 Locked, with room for improvement.
Can you post a Pic showing your current Dish Elevation and Motor Latitude?

Okay, in photo 320, I was going to stand due West of the pole and take the shot aiming due East, but by stepping about a foot to the South, I was able to include in the background, the dish on the abandonned house East of us. I would guess that the little dish is pointing one, maybe two, degrees higher than ours.

In photo 321, I was going to stand due North of the pole and shoot straight South, but that would have put me with my right foot on the roof and, well... you can guess the rest. I moved about two feet West of the edge for the shot.

In photo 322, I was concentrating so hard on getting the little incline guage in focus, that I didn't realize I was holding the camera crooked. The pole is aiming straight up and down. The motor was removed over a week ago. The point of the "teardrop" indicates 49 degrees. Our home zip code is 89115.

Attachments

• DSC_0320.JPG
    DSC_0320.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0321.JPG
    DSC_0321.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0322.JPG
    DSC_0322.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 95
Thought you had a motor?
Thats almost your True South Sat but, ince you do not have a motor, what is your goal?
Looks like you have locked SatMex 5 @ 116.8.
If your pole is 1 7/8" then each degree Az. is about 1/64th" on the pole.

My goal is to see some FTA... ANY FTA, in order to justify months of work and hundreds of dollars. I couldv'e take the family to Disney Land on what I've spent. The motor was removed so that this simple noob could find a satellite and show the family that the technology works.

My wife has called me for the 4th time to lunch and the dog gets it in 2 minutes -- not really, but I do need to get in.
Was that a scan of channels or one info page?
Scan where you are now and see what you get. Then peak the dish with a TV - in the driveway if need be - I have been over 30 feet away from the tv and still been able to peak, although I do not know your receiver. I have not had success with the in line meters.

From what I see, I would be just a few minutes away from the satellite I wanted, since you have an Indetifiable signal. Work VERY SLOWLY!
POP

That was a single channel. 159 pay channels are showing up, and 25 pay radio stations.

I'll be back Monday, and Thank You!!

mark pole

CenterF,
You are close enough now to smell fta ,haha. Mark the position on the pole with a pencil or something, and a straight edge so you can line up the mark on
the mount and pole again if you move the dish and lose it all. Make notes of what the elevation is at each point you get a signal. A good way to go back to your starting point. Remember you will drop elevation as you go west away from your true south bird, just a little for each sat location.
If you found 119, I would go for a transponder on 121 next, program it into your rec, and then move the dish a tiny amount west, see if you can locate that satellite. Then G18 at 123west. There you will find plenty of channels.

Turbo, please answer me one thing: If I can see the signal of 159 pay channels, why can't I even see one FTA channel? What kind of thing am I aiming at? Is it my receiver, ViewSat 7000PVR?

Wowzers! At 119W you were just 4 degrees away from a satellite that might even wow your wife (123W)..... hehe I don't think 119W has any FTA except for Nasa which you should have gotten FTA... oh wait it's circular. Anyhow you are very very close now.... sooo close. Like 1/4" close maybe less.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)