Newer Receiver than HR-34?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erichepler

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
This may be answered or a thread already going, but I couldn't find in a quick search.

Friends of mine just replaced an older DirecTV system (dish, wiring, receivers, the whole 9 yards) and have themselves setup with a genie system (HR-34 I believe) and the mini-clients scattered throughout the home.

It works well, although they report the guide and responsiveness are slower than their older receivers... I attribute that to maybe the HD guide or maybe you have a better answer?

My real question is, the installer said that the Genie Whole Home system was a rushed technology pushed out to compete with Dish Network's Hopper. He also indicated they were going to be training on a newer, more sophisticated genie-like system in two weeks. Is there truth to this that you folks are aware of? I don't think it would have impacted my friends' decision of WHEN to have DirecTV do their upgrade, but I am curios about this information.

Thanks!

The HR-44 is pending release very soon from DirecTV. It is the successor to the HR34, other than having wireless networking capability and being somewhat faster, and a smaller footprint, it is basically the same as the HR-34.
The Genie system as it is now called was not "rushed out" to compete with Hopper.
DirecTV had MRV (Multi-Room Viewing) long before Dish. The beauty of the DirecTV system is they made it backwards compatable with the older H and HR series receivers.
I have had a HR34 since they came out in December of 2011.
I use it every day, and find it to be as fast as my HR24 receivers.
I will probably upgrade to a HR44, not because the 34 is bad, but I like the smaller footprint of the box.
The HR34 is somewhat bulky.

I have no speed issues with my HR34. Now when I press list it take a few seconds but I'm loading list off of two DVRs so I can understand the small delay. Guide is fast on mine as well.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't know if I'm comfortable not having a cooling fan running all the time only the emergency one. That one doesn't make sense to me.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The HR44 has an external power supply. An internal fan isn't really necessary in this case.

The HR44 has an external power supply. An internal fan isn't really necessary in this case.

I can see why they did it that way. I'm sure that keeps the heat down. Is there really a big difference between HR34 and HR44. From what I head it has external power supply, New remote, and the my last installer said the clients connect wirelessly so they don't have to run cables to every room anymore.

The HR44 connects wirelessly to your network, not to the clients.

Any new information on when they will start installing these HR44 for new customers?

Nothing official yet, but I have heard from a few posters that it will be in late April.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)