Newer version of the 722?

WGFA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
PA
I would like to buy a 722 for a second tv I have. I was wondering if anyone here knows when the newer version of the 722 will be out, and if I should just wait. Thats all. TIA

I don't have any knowledge of it, but from what I read here the new 722 has Slingbox technology; if you want that feature, I guess wait. If not, order the 722 now.

I don't have any knowledge of it, but from what I read here the new 722 has Slingbox technology; if you want that feature, I guess wait. If not, order the 722 now.

Not quite right. The next 722 (722k) will have two OTA tuners and be able to show OTA channels on TV2 when running in dual mode. This unit is expected very soon (Fall timeframe).

The Sling-enabled unit has only been demoed at trade shows and may possibly appear sometime in 2009 from what I've read here.

I recently had a Vip722 installed. My receiver has a smart card vs my friend who referred me Vip722 has the smart card built in besides that I can not tell any difference between his box and my box. I wish I know they were going to release a model that allowed you record 2 OAT channels. I wonder if I can upgrade from Vip722 to Vip722k once released for free.

I doubt very much they'll "upgrade" like that for free.

BTW, all of the newer models have smart cards built in, plus a slot for a new smart card. New smart cards are being sent out as we speak, and will continue to be sent out for a few more months. We'll all soon have smart cards inserted in our previously empty slots. Trying to reduce piracy.

No you will not be able to upgrade for free.

If I were Dish I would not call the new box (the 722k) a 722, because really it is not a 722 everything inside and out is new.

The 722 is expected sometime around October / November timeframe.

If I were Dish I would not call the new box (the 722k) a 722, because really it is not a 722 everything inside and out is new.

You think if I call and ask for 722k today they might make an exception? I am a new E* customer that signed up last week. I really would like to be able to record 2 OAT channels because dish does not have KTLA, KCal or KCOP in HD. Dodgers, Angeles, Lakers and Kings broadcast on those channels in HD in LA those games. So being able to record 2 OTA channels would be nice considering E* does not have those channels in HD like D* does.B

Btw I am paying for locals from E* too. So if they were to add those HD I would not care as much about not being able to record 2 OTA channels.

Not free but still available to existing customers, right? I have heard of people going from a 622 to a 722 for anywhere from $75 to $150. Think this will hold true for the 722k?

Also, will the 722k be replacing the current 722 altogether or will both still be manufactured?

Not free but still available to existing customers, right? I have heard of people going from a 622 to a 722 for anywhere from $75 to $150. Think this will hold true for the 722k?

Also, will the 722k be replacing the current 722 altogether or will both still be manufactured?

I'd like to know as well. Besides the second OTA tuner is it better than the 722 and why?

Will the 722s have two OTA tuners?

what hasnt been said is that the 722k comes with 0 tuners and you have to buy a module to add that feature...

You think if I call and ask for 722k today they might make an exception?

The answer is no.

You buy a receiver, TV, microwave, almost anything else, and the next day the new model comes out- does it even occur to you to go ask for a free swap out?

The answer is no.

You buy a receiver, TV, microwave, almost anything else, and the next day the new model comes out- does it even occur to you to go ask for a free swap out?

Yes they do if you bought it from almost any retailer like Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Costco etc as most retailers have a 30 day return/exchange policy.

Even Cellphone companies allow you to return and exchange an item for 30 days. Hell Apple allowed people who bought Iphone after May 1 to exchange it for a new 3G Iphone for free because old Iphone was $399 and new Iphone was $299. They did not give you back $100 difference but they did give you the new better model for free. Cellphone companies make there money from the service just like Dish and not the hardware.

So I do not think it is totally unreasonable to ask dish to do the same.

No, I really don't think you can go into most stores and say I want the new version for free.

No, I really don't think you can go into most stores and say I want the new version for free.

No you can return and exchange the item with in there return policy. Best Buy has 30 return and for Silver Reward Members it is 90 days, Costco has 90 day return policy, Wal-Mart has 60 day return policy, Lowes and Home Depot have 30 days return policy.

ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint have 30 return policy's on all the phones they sell.

So you buy for example Item X for $399.99 today. Within 30 days new version of item comes out which is X-1 for $399.99 they will do an even swap for you no questions asked. If X-1 is cheaper they will even refund you difference. If X-1 is more you pay the difference between both items.

I signed up via best buy for D* last time. I bought Sony HD-10 with in 30 days after have my D* installed Sony released HD-20. HD-20 was $300 less than HD-10. Best Buy swapped my HD-10 for HD-20 and refunded me $300+ taxes. Ie the difference between both boxes.

I bought an Imac at the apple store in Feb then in March Apple released new Imac models. Apple store offered to swap my old Imac for the new model which cost the same price as the old model but was faster because the new model was released with in 30 days of me buying it and Apple has a 30 day return policy.

That is no different that what E* should do. If MSRP on Vip722 is $399 and new Vip722k has $399 MRSP they should swap it for free.

Many many retailers do this.

P.S. Cell Phone companies subsidize the cost of the phones. They still allow you swap the phones with in 30 days for subsidized cost not the full retail price. That is really the same model as E*. So if you bought a phone that was free with 2 year contract you can swap it for an other free phone.

I am willing to bet money once the Vip722-K is released it will be free for new customers. So I personally think E* should allow customers who signed up within X days of release or announcement to swap to new model for free. Not saying they will just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Those return policies are meant for when you have a problem with the product. They are not meant as a vehicle to upgrade for free. And if the new model costs more, you'll pay the difference.

Those return policies are meant for when you have a problem with the product. They are not meant as a vehicle to upgrade for free. And if the new model costs more, you'll pay the difference.

Man you must have a reading comprehension problem. First I stated now in both of my posts if the new item costs more you have the pay the difference and I have listed many examples of how I personally have used this policy to my advantage.

Best Buy does not care why you are returning item. You can return it because you do not like the name of the company , a newer model came out, you changed your mind, you did not like it, you called tech support for the company and did not like the attitude of the tech support rep etc. The only thing they care is if you have all packaging material and if you fall with in there return policy. End of story.

Like I stated all the cellphone companies have the same policy. They allow you return the item with in there return policy. You do not loose your ability to buy another subsidized phones either. This is no different than E* allowing you swap receivers within the first 30 days for free.

9X out of 10x new version of the item cost less. Look at the Iphone, Blackberry etc.

So either you sell dish equipment and are trying to save face and connivence customers not to uses there rights or you are small mom and pop dealer who simply refuses to enter the 21st century and offer a return policy or you just cant read not sure which one because if you could read then you would stop twisting my words around but yet agree with them at the same time.

I never said return policy = free upgrade and I stated every time if the item costs more then you pay to difference which is basically what you said.. which I have said now 2X before you did. So not sure why you are arguing with me unless you can not admit your first post was ridiculous and are trying to save fact at this point.