newest or previous model hd dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mtiffin

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Yesterday I signed up for direct to replace insight cable. I live in central IL and local HD is unavailable. I will put back up my antenna for OTA hd locals. My question is about the direct hd dvr. I was offered either the newest (silver) or the older (black) one. Sorry I don't know model numbers. It was recommended that I take the older (black) one to allow OTA recording. Is there any reason I should consider the newer one? Thanks

I don't know if DirecTV has a black model for the HD DVR. If they do, I wish I could get it to match all my other mulimedia equipment. I have the HR20-700. From what I understand it is the first one to replace the old Tivo style HR10-250 model. It does have a OTA tuner. I also understand the newer one (don't know the model number) doesn't have OTA support.

I would suggest getting the HR20-700 if you can if you want OTA as an option.

Hey, where abouts in central Illinois are you? I'm in Bloomington. I had Insight myself and switched to D* at the end of October. Yeah, I was pretty disappointed myself when I heard that the locals were not in hd. My install guy said, we would be getting them in January. But now, I don't know about that because D* was supposed to be putting up a new satellite and now I hear that's delayed until March. That could be the satellite where we would be getting our hd locals. I hope I'm wrong!

But anyways, to answer your original question..... you want to go with the HR20 as it has inputs for adding OTA. The HR21 DOES NOT. I have the HR20-100 which is silver and there is also an HR20-700 which I believe is also silver. Either way go with the HR20 if you can. But I hear that D* is only offering the HR21 now to new customers. Good luck with that!

Let me know what you decide. I hear that Insight is switching over to Comcast at the end of the month. I dont think thats a good thing. I am very happy with D* and its HD! You won't be dissapointed. The only thing I use Insight for now is my internet broadband service. That I cannot live without! I hope Comcast does not raise the price for that!!

I live in Champaign. I just read a lot about the hr20 vs hr21. I will also keep the broadband from insight/comcast. With the year long discount off setting the dvr cost the cable and direct cost are almost the same, but many more hd channels from direct. Not sure about the black finish. I didn't see the dvr.

I live in Champaign. I just read a lot about the hr20 vs hr21. I will also keep the broadband from insight/comcast. With the year long discount off setting the dvr cost the cable and direct cost are almost the same, but many more hd channels from direct. Not sure about the black finish. I didn't see the dvr.

You are not kidding about the "many more hd channels"!! What Insight offers in HD is just pathetic and you're right; the pricing is about the same. They may not offer a dvr in a black finish anymore. Just make sure you get the HR20 if you want to install OTA.

The Newer HD DVR's (since the HR10-250 is gone from the fleet)

HR20-700 (the original, first Mpeg2-4 capable) is Silver
HR20-100 ( the next generation, sorta, different maker, RCA/Thompson I
believe, PACE made the -100). It too is Silver.
Both these unit support OTA ...

HR21- The next generation, also mpeg2-4, has NO OTA connections
at least yet, possibly has a add on tuner in the future. It
comes in Black if what I saw was accurate., not sure if that
one is available in Silver or not.

Jimbo

Now the question is........When will we see a 1080P box? I paid good money for 1080P and would love to take advantage of that progressive picture.

Now the question is........When will we see a 1080P box? I paid good money for 1080P and would love to take advantage of that progressive picture.

Having a 1080p display will only matter when using Wii, PS3, HD DVD, or Blue Ray. There is no other 1080p source out there that I know of. Please educate me if there is.

Having a 1080p display will only matter when using Wii, PS3, HD DVD, or Blue Ray. There is no other 1080p source out there that I know of. Please educate me if there is.

I think what I heard about would be a rec that would upconvert to 1080p obviously seeing there is no actual programming in 1080p yet.

Jimbo

From the rumors I heard the other day ....

Yes, they are working on it.

Jimbo

They are working on broadcasting 1080p? I thought this was a pipe dream? I thought all providers are comitted to 720p/1080i broadcasting for years to come?

From the rumors I heard the other day ....

Yes, they are working on it.

Jimbo
Now that would suprise me, I would think that the bandwidth required would be tremendous, although I have read that at a certain frame rate it might be possible with what the presently sent out.

I'm not complaining but if one doesn't have PS3, HD DVD, Wii, or HD DVD player what is the advantage to paying more for a 1080P televison set?

I have a 1080P Samsung 50" DLP television, DirecTV HR20-700, and Toshiba 1080i HD DVD player (the one that was sold at Wal Mart for $98 a few weeks back).

What I'm saying is, there really was no reason to pay more for 1080P for me, was there? I guess I got all caught up in the salesmens hype about 1080P being the future. I'm not big on video games and didn't buy a better HD DVD player or Blu Ray because of the format war going on. I just couldn't pass up the cost of the HD DVD player.

I'm not complaining but if one doesn't have PS3, HD DVD, Wii, or HD DVD player what is the advantage to paying more for a 1080P televison set?

I have a 1080P Samsung 50" DLP television, DirecTV HR20-700, and Toshiba 1080i HD DVD player (the one that was sold at Wal Mart for $98 a few weeks back).

What I'm saying is, there really was no reason to pay more for 1080P for me, was there? I guess I got all caught up in the salesmens hype about 1080P being the future. I'm not big on video games and didn't buy a better HD DVD player or Blu Ray because of the format war going on. I just couldn't pass up the cost of the HD DVD player.

The difference being that I don't know if they sell new TV's that are 1080i anymore, probably somewhere, but if your looking to buy new and the prices are simular, may as well go for it.
I just bought a 1080p panel 6 months ago and went back to get a 720p for Christmas ( both Pioneer Elite's, one 60' and the other 42')

Jimbo

Jimbo, just trying to put a good spin on it...and the techs disconnected my OTA, with snow on the roof, it will be a while until I get my antenna back...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)