News on new HD channels on E* is......

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Just saw the Buick Open in HD ... it looks amazing! ... that is why the hell you need golf in HD!

What's the Buick Open???:rolleyes:

Ok, so make Golf Channel HD a pay if you want it Ala Carte.....my point is there are a majority of people out there who won't care about this channel...I sure don't want to pay for it

Jolard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2004
LOL, these arguments are always so funny.

there are a majority of people out there who won't care about this channel

This is such a misconception. If a channel is being produced, then it must have an audience, or it would have gone under long ago. No-one is in the business of wasting money.

Personally I couldn't care less about the golf channel or the RSN's, however I love the Voom channels and want Sci Fi, MHD and Comedy Central in HD today! We all have our different priorities.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Yet another instance where it is raining dollar bills and people insist on complaining on how DISH is littering.

It's another HD channel. Don't like it, don't watch it. Tell you what. I'll take your share of A&E and you can have all my ESPN.

Great post! I love your choice of words.

And I definitely never watch ESPN. Maybe I'll watch part of the Olympics, if I stumble upon it. I think curling was the last thing I saw.

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Great post! I love your choice of words.

And I definitely never watch ESPN. Maybe I'll watch part of the Olympics, if I stumble upon it. I think curling was the last thing I saw.

I would say that I watch ESPN more than any other channel. Between the ESPN suite and my RSN's they probably make up about 70% of my viewing. At least right now, during basketball season. Oh, also during football. And baseball. So pretty much all year.

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
Just saw the Buick Open in HD ... it looks amazing! ... that is why the hell you need golf in HD!

Golf in HD is beautiful. The beautifully landscaped courses are something to behold. The wildlife in the distance too. Really.. that can only really be seen in HD.

How else could you see a coyote from a half a mile away. I did once on the Concord Monster, Kiamesha Lake, NY.

Besides all this, if the golf ball gets lost, someone on the course can always call (via cell phone) one of their HD friends to find out where it is.. lol
PS.. You don't necessarily need an Sharp Aquos to find the ball.

Most golf matches seem to not be in HD, even on ESPN.. Open the screen up to 16:9 I say to enjoy the true beauty of the game.

howie14

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 4, 2007
Eldersburg MD
Golf in HD is beautiful. The beautifully landscaped courses are something to behold. The wildlife in the distance too. Really.. that can only really be seen in HD.

I have no interest in golf yet I must admit that one of the first things I sat down and watched on my new HDTV was a celebrity golf skills competition in HD. It looked really good.

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
I would say that I watch ESPN more than any other channel. Between the ESPN suite and my RSN's they probably make up about 70% of my viewing. At least right now, during basketball season. Oh, also during football. And baseball. So pretty much all year.

And that is pretty much the point. I respect that others have preferences and hope that others respect mine. What kind of irks me is the number of sports fans that do not have any tolerance for the entertainment folks. The fact is that my bill reflects a higher sports premium than it does for the stuff I actually watch.

Navychop, I thought i was the only one who followed the Curling. I actually DVRed the matches.

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
And that is pretty much the point. I respect that others have preferences and hope that others respect mine. What kind of irks me is the number of sports fans that do not have any tolerance for the entertainment folks. The fact is that my bill reflects a higher sports premium than it does for the stuff I actually watch.

Navychop, I thought i was the only one who followed the Curling. I actually DVRed the matches.

I respect your preferences. You say that you are forced to pay for a bunch of channels that you don't watch. That's all I'm saying. I don't watch probably 60% of the channels that I get. I wish that I could not pay for those but that's not how it works. We're all forced to pay for channels that we don't watch.

Sammy033

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 27, 2006
If its a question about not wanting to pay for channels I never watch, I would gladly get rid of every shopping network channel in existence first. Im sure there are some people out there that like the ability to buy SpongeBob fine-dinnerware on HSN. But I dont know them. Maybe then I would look at whether I would prefer new sports or entertainment HD channels.

But right now I am curious whether or not a DVR upgrade will cost me $100 ($150 - $50 credit) or nothing. I already have HD Silver and am receiving the $10/10month rebate. But I like $0.00... its a nice round number. ;-)

[edit]

I just saw... this is my first post? Hmm... that cant be right. Been reading these forums long enough that I must have posted some. Maybe not. If not... hi all.

langlin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2006
Ozark Mountains

I played sports for many years and professional baseball for several years and I enjoyed it in fact I would pay to be able to still play. But frankly I could never understand why anyone would spend two hours of their time to WATCH me play a childrens game and I really couldn't understand them paying hard earned money to watch me. I love sports but I wouldn't walk across the street to watch someone else play. I know most people love to be a "bear" or a "colt" and we have for centuries filled the arenas with faithful fans and I respect that but there is also a lot of "other" entertainment to watch too. I'll be there with you watching the superbowl sunday but only because it's encluded in my package, I wouldn't pay a fee to watch it. I did play major college football and I would pay a fee if they would let me play.

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Langlin, who did you play for in pro baseball? I have a friend that played with the Braves for a long time. Most of it in the minors but he did go to the world series in '98. He then played a little with the Tigers, Cardinals, Reds in the minors, and spent 1 season in the majors with the Marlins. He actually led the team in batting average through spring training in 2002 but sat the bench behind Luis Castillo who had about a 35-game hit streak that season. Anyway, he's still best friends with Chipper Jones and used to run Chipper's hunting ranch out in Texas. Chipper still comes to my small hometown a couple times a year.

langlin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2006
Ozark Mountains
Bowens, I played a LONG time ago when there was a real "minor" league, hate to give away my age but I played for the Amarillo team in the old Texas-New Mexico league that died out in the 1950's. Back then most cities of any size had their own team and not affiliated with the majors even though there were some "farm" teams most were independent, Like most minor leagues in that era, few of the teams in the WTNML were ever "farm" clubs, affiliated with or subsidized by major league organizations. The great majority of WTNML teams were independent, for-profit business ventures; they weren't much concerned with developing talent for someone else's benefit. They were focused on providing a competitive ballclub and a compelling game for the local fans. Those days are gone forever!

Drone35

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2005
Amarillo,TX
Bowens, I played a LONG time ago when there was a real "minor" league, hate to give away my age but I played for the Amarillo team in the old Texas-New Mexico league that died out in the 1950's. Back then most cities of any size had their own team and not affiliated with the majors even though there were some "farm" teams most were independent, Like most minor leagues in that era, few of the teams in the WTNML were ever "farm" clubs, affiliated with or subsidized by major league organizations. The great majority of WTNML teams were independent, for-profit business ventures; they weren't much concerned with developing talent for someone else's benefit. They were focused on providing a competitive ballclub and a compelling game for the local fans. Those days are gone forever!

Cheers from Amarillo! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)