News Releases

Quantum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
OR
This just out:

DirecTV Loads Up 301,000 Subs In Q4 - 2009-02-10 14:13:12 - Multichannel News

"Despite the more challenging economic and competitive landscape, we remained sharply focused on attaining higher-quality subscribers" with its highest gross additions in three years at 3.9 million subscribers for 2008 and the lowest monthly churn level (1.47%) in 9 years."

DirecTV CEO: Sees EPS Growth Of 15%

"For the year, Carey said he wants to fully realize DirecTV's partnership with AT&T Inc. (T), which began reselling DirecTV service this month. DirecTV replaced rival Dish Network Corp. (DISH). He also wants to strike partnerships with wireless carriers to possibly get its content on cellphones."

Well, Dish isn't due to release their 2008 numbers for another two weeks, so this is the latest information we have:

Subscribers Ditch Dish Network - Forbes.com

"We find it disappointing that Dish has had to spend significantly more on marketing and retention spending and still experienced a material increase in year-over-year churn, even given the relatively high uptick in churn in the year ago period," said Goldman Sachs Analyst Ingrid Chung.

Dish Profit Drops 54% on Subscriber Losses, Charges
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

"Dish said it may not be able to replace the lost AT&T business, which could hurt subscriber additions and increase churn. About 1 million current subscribers were acquired through the AT&T partnership, the company said.
EchoStar's net loss widened to $307.9 million, or $3.43 a share, from $6.7 million, or 7 cents, a year earlier, the Englewood-based company said in a separate filing today.
"

Let me be clear that I would certainly not want Dish to go away, as we need at least two providers. But they need to fix their customer service culture, and they need to be more honest than they have been.

I'll be interested to see what the Usual Suspects say about this. Hopefully they will offer positive financial stories, rather than their usual apologisms. I am sure they'll pick away at impertinent fringe issues, because the main news is unassailable.

Why are you digging up four month old articles? Aside from Directs's last Q, (which is 5 days old),there is no news here.

Yeh. OK. Still no news. Wait for real news, like the upcoming 4 Q reports.

It looks like if you give people what they want overall you will get the business. Not a secret formula there. Good for Direct-TV. That does seem like old Dish information though.

filestroll20945819wq1.jpg

"We find it disappointing that Dish has had to spend significantly more on marketing and retention spending and still experienced a material increase in year-over-year churn, even given the relatively high uptick in churn in the year ago period," said Goldman Sachs Analyst Ingrid Chung.

The churn is so high because Charlie will only credit $10 a month for 12 months towards a good customers bill, and will then charge them $12.5 a month for up to 24 months, if they dare leave Dish .

Charlie needs to credit at least $10 a month for 24 months if he is going to low the churn rate. The rats are leaving the ship . . time for Charlie to take some action and be more generous to his best customers.

I had a couple of family members who had cable and I made them sign up for directv in january and my girlfriend had comicast and she just changed to directv and will be installed on friday 2-20-09.

I do not see dishnetwork doin anything about new HD anytime SOOON and they raised the price. I have dish but I am sad about all there choices on how to deal with HD, only thing keepin me is the promise of the 922.
I hope it is here soon.

I am leaving dish this month, after about 10 years. I might come back in the fall, after the 922 is out and more HD shows up.

I am however tired of the empty promises they give us.

I am leaving dish this month, after about 10 years. I might come back in the fall, after the 922 is out and more HD shows up.

I am however tired of the empty promises they give us.

Have fun with their DVR.:rolleyes:

Have fun with their DVR.:rolleyes:

I was also with Dish for quite some time (since 97') and got tired of hearing the empty promises. The Dish folks try to scare you with the "DVR" talk. Truth is, the D* DVR is not that bad. I have not regretted moving to D*.

However, when my D* contract is up I will re-evaluate my options at that time. Not because I am not satisfied but because I am not going to stay with one company out of loyalty anymore. I will not go back to E* until my locals are available in HD though.

Make your decision based on the options available to you at the time. Don't let these people use their scare tactics about the equipment.

I was also with Dish for quite some time (since 97') and got tired of hearing the empty promises. The Dish folks try to scare you with the "DVR" talk. Truth is, the D* DVR is not that bad. I have not regretted moving to D*.

However, when my D* contract is up I will re-evaluate my options at that time. Not because I am not satisfied but because I am not going to stay with one company out of loyalty anymore. I will not go back to E* until my locals are available in HD though.

Make your decision based on the options available to you at the time. Don't let these people use their scare tactics about the equipment.
Not scare tactics at all. I've spent time reading the D forum. That's where it comes from.

I agree with this. Make decisions based on what's available now and the cost. I think the E* DVRs are better but the D* receivers in their latest incarnation are very good. If D* had all-HD packages I think E* would really be in trouble. E* is $5 cheaper than D* on packages, but for people looking for lower cost HD packages, E* trumps D*.

I love when people defend the DirecTV DVR with comments like it's "Not that bad". And in truth it really is "not that bad".. But it is still not a Dish DVR which is the best in the market. DirecTV has so much potential to make a great DVR but they keep falling flat for some reason.. But all in all the DirecTV DVR is just okay..

dish has the best dvr if only they get more hd programming and add the mlb and keep up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)