Nexstar buys 4 West Virginia TV Stations for 130 Million

localclassictvfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Lafayette, Louisiana
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/90089/nexstar-buys-4-wva-tvs-for-130m

• WOWK (CBS) Charleston-Huntington (DMA 67)
  • WTRF (CBS) Wheeling (DMA 157) — WTRF’s D2 and D3 channels broadcast MyNetworkTV and ABC programming, respectively.
  • WVNS (CBS) Bluefield-Beckley (160) — WVNS’ D2 channel broadcasts Fox programming.
  • WBOY (NBC) Clarksburg-Weston (DMA 169) — WBOY’s D2 channel broadcasts ABC programming
Good move in my opinion since none have any of the classic subchannels...

10-4, I noticed that Thanks. Nexstar likes the duopolies and the triopolies....
What is above is not a duopoly. A duopoly is when a company owns more than one station in a market. Like Nexstar does in your area with the low powered NBC and the FOX affiliates. But those are coming to an end next year

These are just stations with multiple affiliations due to not enough stations in the market. As example Wheeling is a 2 station market (CBS/MY/ABC on one, NBC/FOX/ME on another).

What is above is not a duopoly. A duopoly is when a company owns more than one station in a market. Like Nexstar does in your area with the low powered NBC and the FOX affiliates. But those are coming to an end next year

These are just stations with multiple affiliations due to not enough stations in the market. As example Wheeling is a 2 station market (CBS/MY/ABC on one, NBC/FOX/ME on another).
I see from reading your reply....and I thought Two of the major broadcasters on the same station was a duopoly..... OK Thanks again as always.

Now what is coming to and end next year (referring to Nexstar owning the NBC 46 KLAF-LD and FOX 15 KADN) Fill me in...

Ok your saying two separate stations you call duopolies not two affiliates on the same channel. OK Thanks again as always.
correct. A duopoly is 2 different stations being owned (or run) by same folks. Here is Minneapolis we have 3 of them
KMSP FOX and WFTC MY (owned by Fox)
KTCA & KTCI PBS (owned by Twin Cities Public Television)
KSTP ABC AND KSTC IND (Owned by Hubbard)

But they are safe.....below is why

Now what is coming to and end next year (referring to Nexstar owning the NBC 46 KLAF-LD and FOX 15 KADN) Fill me in...
The FCC is cracking down on duopolies in smaller markets (markets with less than 8 full powered stations). From what I read end of next year the FCC wants to do away with duopolies. Thats why some new ownership sales are so scrutinized because of duopolies and they have to have a plan in place before its approved (ala the Quincy/Granite sale). There are exceptions. Your market has the most common one. You CAN own a full powered station AND a low powered station. LP stations do not count towards it. Thats why when Gray Broadcasting is buying assets of stations they are moving them to low powered stations (as in Wausau, WI and soon Rapid City, SD). The other way around it is to move the programming to a subchannel of an owned station. Like Sinclair recently moving FOX to a sub of its owned ABC station in Chattanooga.

correct. A duopoly is 2 different stations being owned (or run) by same folks. Here is Minneapolis we have 3 of them
KMSP FOX and WFTC MY (owned by Fox)
KTCA & KTCI PBS (owned by Twin Cities Public Television)
KSTP ABC AND KSTC IND (Owned by Hubbard)

But they are safe.....below is why

The FCC is cracking down on duopolies in smaller markets (markets with less than 8 full powered stations). From what I read end of next year the FCC wants to do away with duopolies. Thats why some new ownership sales are so scrutinized because of duopolies and they have to have a plan in place before its approved (ala the Quincy/Granite sale). There are exceptions. Your market has the most common one. You CAN own a full powered station AND a low powered station. LP stations do not count towards it. Thats why when Gray Broadcasting is buying assets of stations they are moving them to low powered stations (as in Wausau, WI and soon Rapid City, SD). The other way around it is to move the programming to a subchannel of an owned station. Like Sinclair recently moving FOX to a sub of its owned ABC station in Chattanooga.

I see now, Sinclair moved the fox programming from WDSI (now this tv) to a subchannel of WTVC (ABC).
Now in Lafayette Nexstar can still keep the NBC/FOX because the KLAF is LP so they're good there
IF IF Nexstar buys out MG then either KLFY gets sold to another Media Group (E. W. Scrippes, I like using them) or move KLFY's programming to a subchannel of 15 and sell the station, tower, and license like Sinclair did to WDSI in Chattanooga...

I didn't mean to run over what you repeated just trying to learn the program of the tv industry.....thanks

I see now, Sinclair moved the fox programming from WDSI (not this tv) to a subchannel of WTVC (ABC).
yup. Sinclair bought the programming assets from WDSI (basically the FOX programming) and moved it to its owned ABC station.
Now in Lafayette Nexstar can still keep the NBC/FOX because the KLAF is LP so they're good there
yup. Also Delta can keep their 2 LP's. I think they would be able regardless as they are not associated with a Big 4 Network
Also in markets where there are at least 8 full powered stations in the market its OK. (as example Minneapolis has 10)
IF IF Nexstar buys out MG then either KLFY gets sold to another Media Group (E. W. Scrippes, I like using them) or move KLFY's programming to a subchannel of 15 and sell the station, tower, and license like Sinclair did to WDSI in Chattanooga...
correct. IF that happened, I'd assume it was the former that happened, not the latter. Its like when Gray bought Schurz and they had 2 stations in South Bend, IN. Gray and Sinclair did a swap. Sinclair got the CBS in South Bend and Gray got the NBC/FOX in Marquette, MI

yup. Sinclair bought the programming assets from WDSI (basically the FOX programming) and moved it to its owned ABC station.

yup. Also Delta can keep their 2 LP's. I think they would be able regardless as they are not associated with a Big 4 Network
Also in markets where there are at least 8 full powered stations in the market its OK. (as example Minneapolis has 10)

correct. IF that happened, I'd assume it was the former that happened, not the latter. Its like when Gray bought Schurz and they had 2 stations in South Bend, IN. Gray and Sinclair did a swap. Sinclair got the CBS in South Bend and Gray got the NBC/FOX in Marquette, MI

Well that's good news on Delta keeping the Full power 50 (which was the former CW affiliate till 2010) and the two LP stations 22 and 32......I'd hate to lose Antenna, Heroes and well even This...

Your the Einstein of TV Thanks.....

Well that's good news on Delta keeping the Full power 50 (which was the former CW affiliate till 2010) and the two LP stations 22 and 32......I'd hate to lose Antenna, Heroes and well even This...
Nope those stations are safe as they are low powered.

Your the Einstein of TV Thanks.....
nah. Just do lots of reading on the subject :)

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Seems like Nexstar is in a race to have as many stations as Sinclair (minus the subchannels) however Nexstar has had great success in stations with two or more major networks on the same station (IE 15 Fox, 46 NBC, MNTV Acadiana for example). I know I've had some harsh words (and one very disrespectful one) for them but hey they're cash flow and stock value is skyrocketing, seems things are working well with the Newer Stations too. Cannot fault them for that......GO Nexstar....

Just to correct the record, the FCC requires two rules to be met before it will consider allowing an owner to have a duopoly:
  • There must continue to be a minimum of 8 independent full-power owners in the market.
  • At most, only 1 of the stations can be among the top 4 in the market.
However, the FCC has made exceptions to the first rule in the case of failing stations. For example, in my neighboring market of Tucson AZ, there are 11 stations in the market. In 2008, the Univ. of AZ owned the 2 non-comms, KUAT and KUAS, Belo owned KMSB (Fox) and KTTU (MyNet), and Univision owned KUVE (Univision) and KFTU (Unimás), resulting in 8 independent owners in the market. Evening Post (KVOA), Journal Broadcasting (KGUN), Raycom (KOLD), NBC/Telemundo (KHRR) and Cascade Broadcasting (KWBA) were the others. KWBA was going bankrupt and Cascade wanted to sell it to Journal, who owned KGUN. That should not have been allowed, as it would have left Tucson with only 7 independent owners, but because Journal was able to show that KWBA was a failing station that would have gone off the air and no out-of-market buyer could be found for the station, the FCC allowed the sale to Journal, who continue to own both stations to this day.

Editorial - I wonder if the FCC will continue to allow waivers under the failing stations rule. It seems that nowadays, they want stations to go off the air. Jus' sayin'.

yup looks like it. It was a locally owned company too. All they have left is a newspaper
The owner used to live a few miles up the road from me and I have spoken with him before when the local channels first rolled out on Dish Network in our area back in 2003. He even had his own political show on the weekends. I guess he is retiring, getting up there in age.