Nexstar buys 4 Western North Dakota Stations from Reiten Television Inc.

Nexstar Broadcasting Group on Thursday said it is purchasing four CBS-affiliated television stations serving the Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson-Williston, N.D. (DMA 139) for $44 million from Reiten Television Inc.

Nexstar said the deal is expected to be immediately accretive to Nexstar’s operating results upon closing.

In addition, under the terms of the agreement, Nexstar will provide sales and other services to the market’s two ABC affiliates owned by Forum Communications pursuant to Reiten’s services agreement with Forum.

Its kinda a weird setup out there

KXMB Bismark is the "mothership"
KXMA Dickinson is a satellite/translator

KXMC Minot is a partial satellite of KXMB but has own commercials/newscasts
KXMD Williston is a satellite/translator of KXMC

The 2 ABC stations out there (KMBY & KMCY) are full powered stations in Bismark and Minot. There are rebroadcast on the -2 stations of KXMA & KXMD. Thats why Reiten (now Nextstar) will help run them. Its weird as Forum owns the stations yet 2 of their stations are on subchannels of ANOTHER station owned by someone else.

To even make it goofier...Dickinson & Williston are in the Mountain time zone (Bismark & Minot are in Central) so prime time starts at 6:00 out there :)

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/88539/nexstar-buys-4-north-dakota-stations

Could lose the 24 hour weather on the subchannel (it happened immediately after Nexstar bought out Com Corp of Lafayette, Stormtracker 33 of WVLA went off the next day).
not necessarily. Its a low bandwidth station that probably doesnt require much to run...and it probably doesnt cost much for them to broadcast
Future Decades affiliate?
Nextar drops stations...they dont usually add them. You should know that by now ;)

Thank You for the correction. TV Newscheck had forum Communications on the headlines. But the tee vee guyde gang believes them whatever so.

Iceburg Nexstar has only dropped the weather subchannels after buyouts. I know way less than you on this but Nexstar has kept the other subchannels. They did add or will add decades to a cw station.

Again thanks both of you for the corrections

Iceburg Nexstar has only dropped the weather subchannels after buyouts. I know way less than you on this but Nexstar has kept the other subchannels. They did add or will add decades to a cw station.

Usually with a subchannel there are contracts that have to be adhered to. But once that is up Nexstar seems to drop it. They did it with Live Well in a lot of markets and replaced it with nothing

As for the Decades thing....the Decades site lists nothing coming in Arizona. They've had the Maine listing (which starts Oct 1) as coming 10/1 for almost 2 months now. I understand someone saw it on TitanTV and got their hopes up. But honestly TitanTV is wrong alot. If I plug in a zip for my market (Minneapolis) they are missing alot of info for stations that are on the air. They have some stations that don't even exist on the list too

This is sort of sad to see yet another family-owned broadcasting entity with decades of history cease to exist, but such is the nature of the current local TV environment. Before much longer, there will probably be no more than a dozen conglomerates owning every single commercial TV station in the country.

Speaking of which, I wonder now how much more sniffing around Nexstar has been doing in the Upper Midwest. In particular, in the Fargo area, the location of Forum Communications (owns WDAY, WDAZ, and the aforementioned KMBY and KMCY) and Red River Broadcasting (owns KDLT, KQDS, KVRR). Both companies are the type of small-time TV operators being picked off one-by-one, and either might be an attractive acquisition target for Nexstar due to adjacent market "synergies" with the Bismarck-Minot stations they just purchased. If Forum were purchased, I would expect ABC to be retained as a subchannel of KXMB and KXMC, with KMBY and KMCY being sold off.

To even make it goofier...Dickinson & Williston are in the Mountain time zone (Bismark & Minot are in Central) so prime time starts at 6:00 out there :)

Only Dickinson is in the Mountain Time Zone. Williston is on Central Time, although the people in northeastern Montana who receive the TV stations from there (or from Bismarck or Minot, via satellite) are on Mountain Time.

This is sort of sad to see yet another family-owned broadcasting entity with decades of history cease to exist, but such is the nature of the current local TV environment. Before much longer, there will probably be no more than a dozen conglomerates owning every single commercial TV station in the country.
sounds like Canada

Speaking of which, I wonder now how much more sniffing around Nexstar has been doing in the Upper Midwest. In particular, in the Fargo area, the location of Forum Communications (owns WDAY, WDAZ, and the aforementioned KMBY and KMCY) and Red River Broadcasting (owns KDLT, KQDS, KVRR). Both companies are the type of small-time TV operators being picked off one-by-one, and either might be an attractive acquisition target for Nexstar due to adjacent market "synergies" with the Bismarck-Minot stations they just purchased. If Forum were purchased, I would expect ABC to be retained as a subchannel of KXMB and KXMC, with KMBY and KMCY being sold off.
agreed if they do buy Forum.
Red River is a possibility. Its not like they do much with their stations right now ;)

Only Dickinson is in the Mountain Time Zone. Williston is on Central Time, although the people in northeastern Montana who receive the TV stations from there (or from Bismarck or Minot, via satellite) are on Mountain Time.
hmmm thought the whole western part of ND was Mountain time zone. Guess I was wrong

Its kinda a weird setup out there

Only Dickinson is in Mountain Time Zone. The other 3 cities are in Central.