Nexstar buys Media General

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What does this mean for fort wayne?
Nexstar will have to decide if they want WANE or keep WFFT and sell the other.

basically Nextsar wont be able to keep both as separate stations. Now they could buy the programming from WFFT (FOX) and move it to WANE as a subchannel. Then they could have both FOX & CBS. Then either sell WFFT to someone or just sell it to the FCC in the auction and shut it down.

Wane would be the better option get rid of wfft probably they will sell wfft.
I wanna say Tripp mentioned in another post about WANE being the most well regarded station in that particular Market (or something like that).
Nexstar sees that it would benefit them more keeping WANE than WFFT then they most likely keep the former Media General one and rid of the one they have already (WFFT)

huh?
Nexstar can continue to own both the NBC and either FOX or CBS there because the NBC is a low powered station. But they could theoretically sell the FOX and keep CBS. But I assume they (Nexstar) share some stuff between the 5 FOX stations they own in Louisiana.

I was going to ask if they (NBC) did news and if so do they use the FOX newscasters....but looking at zap2it it shows "NBC 33 News" which I take it is from Baton Rouge.
I forgot to mention this. This may sound dumb but it wouldn't be the first time with my track record with you guys when I first got on here. I'm thinking (or maybe they will) that Nexstar would sell some of their stations that they acquired from the Lafayette, La. based Comm Corp when they have to sell off KLFY, WTHI, KQWC. Like the NBC/KZUP stations eventhough some of them are in that shared agreement program. They probably wont but since Nexstar focuses more on CBS and FOX it something to think about. I'd like for someone to come in and buy KLFY (like Meredith, Sinclair, Hearst, Cox) and Scripps to buy the LP KLAF. It is just a hunch that Nexstar may just keep KLFY programming and sell the LP NBC. This all probably will not happen but it's something to think about and may happen anyway. There is a lot of scenarios involved. No one that's with the TV stations or the media groups will say much anyway. We'll find out after mid-year

Nexstar doesnt have to sell the LP. FCC rules says you can own BOTH a full power and a Low Powered station. Thats why Gray moves stations to LP's when they come across this dilemma (like in Rapid City, SD and Wausau, WI)
Plus the fact they basically use the LP NBC as a "translator" of their Baton Rouge NBC you can bet the farm they will keep it. KLFY seems to be the odd out there because Nexstar has most of the Fox affiliations in Louisiana.

I wanna say Tripp mentioned in another post about WANE being the most well regarded station in that particular Market (or something like that).
Nexstar sees that it would benefit them more keeping WANE than WFFT then they most likely keep the former Media General one and rid of the one they have already (WFFT)
Or they could buy the programming (FOX) and move it to a sub of WANE (remember...ANtennaTV is leaving at end of month). They could turn WFFT back into the FCC or sell it to someone else. But unless its someone like Howard Silk Holdings or someone like that who doesnt care about the network programming you can bet the new owner would want the network affiliation (FOX) as part of it.

Or they could buy the programming (FOX) and move it to a sub of WANE (remember...ANtennaTV is leaving at end of month). They could turn WFFT back into the FCC or sell it to someone else. But unless its someone like Howard Silk Holdings or someone like that who doesnt care about the network programming you can bet the new owner would want the network affiliation (FOX) as part of it.
Fox also seems to be a strong network for Nexstar just like CBS is too...

Nexstar doesnt have to sell the LP. FCC rules says you can own BOTH a full power and a Low Powered station. Thats why Gray moves stations to LP's when they come across this dilemma (like in Rapid City, SD and Wausau, WI)
Plus the fact they basically use the LP NBC as a "translator" of their Baton Rouge NBC you can bet the farm they will keep it. KLFY seems to be the odd out there because Nexstar has most of the Fox affiliations in Louisiana.
Yeah I understand you very well. It would seem logical to keep the most watched station in the market but then again its (KLFY) is the only MG station in Louisiana too. It was a nice scenario I posted though and it would have worked out if it went through but Nexstar most likely wont give up the fox or the KLAF NBC after just putting money into switching affiliates back last July. KLFY is gone on the selling block with its sister MG stations. I cant wait to see who buys the station. With a cox, scripps, Meredith and raycom we could get a 3rd sub.....

IF they do say yes then Gray is gonna be PISSED as they just got it denied.

I dont see the FCC allowing it as for the last year plus they have been forcing companies to get rid of JSA/LMA's and new owners having to jump through hoops (like when Quincy wanted to buy Granite)

Could get interesting

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/93058/senators-call-on-fcc-to-ease-up-on-jsas

Twelve lawmakers told the FCC today they are "extremely disturbed" to learn that the FCC is conditioning grants of station transfer on broadcasters' terminating JSAs before they would otherwise have to. The 12 said they were all supporters of the law grandfathering JSAs until 2025.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Yeah I understand you very well. It would seem logical to keep the most watched station in the market but then again its (KLFY) is the only MG station in Louisiana too. It was a nice scenario I posted though and it would have worked out if it went through but Nexstar most likely wont give up the fox or the KLAF NBC after just putting money into switching affiliates back last July. KLFY is gone on the selling block with its sister MG stations. I cant wait to see who buys the station. With a cox, scripps, Meredith and raycom we could get a 3rd sub.....
the fact they just added a local newscast to FOX & NBC (and overhauled the studio) I'm pretty sure they are keeping FOX ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3864849/

nothing yet

It still has to get through that hurdle known as the FCC and 1st thing is they have to figure out which stations Nexstar wants to keep in the dual markets and what one to sell off and to whom. When Gray bought Schurz it was 5 months after the original press release came out before it was 100% approved.....and with that Gray already knew what they were going to do with those dual market issues.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Lil birdie tells me that the Lafayette Louisiana CBS will stay with Nexstar while the Fox/MNTV and the NBC Low Power is going on the selling block. This ain't from someone who has street smarts about the broadcasting industry neither

I am wondering what's going to happen to KASA-DT- KWBQ-and KASY-DT would be nice to have different station's total different local looks lookks great for local news:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)