next 811 firmware - soon?

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Any news on when to expect something better than firmware 3.30 for our 811's?

The guide bugs are terrible with 3.30 - often see No Info, loses local information, greek characters, ....

Also, Dish changed something with ATSC Dolby Digital when they released 3.30 and now the 811 occasionally goes silent or sends out a constant tone. A channel change brings the sound back - until the next lockup. Never had that prior to 3.30.

The 3.30 release was a while ago. Hopefully this long delay isn't an indication that Dish are winding down development of the 811 firmware and are going to abandon us with 3.30.

I'm not having any problems with my 811 now. The 3.30 software cleared up the remaining problems that I had at the time.

keith said:
Any news on when to expect something better than firmware 3.30 for our 811's?

The guide bugs are terrible with 3.30 - often see No Info, loses local information, greek characters, ....

Also, Dish changed something with ATSC Dolby Digital when they released 3.30 and now the 811 occasionally goes silent or sends out a constant tone. A channel change brings the sound back - until the next lockup. Never had that prior to 3.30.

The 3.30 release was a while ago. Hopefully this long delay isn't an indication that Dish are winding down development of the 811 firmware and are going to abandon us with 3.30.

It's wierd, but for the first few weeks, I had problems with the guide going to "no info" and refusing to correct itself without a reboot. Now we've gone about 3 weeks without a reboot...

I wonder if the 811 is just so quirky that there is nothing much they can do to fix it in firmware? The 311's and several others have been real stable, while it seems like they have always struggled with the 811...

I have had the same guide issues with my 811. Having been with Dish since 1997, I can say the last year and a half with the 811 has been very problematic. The 811 is a piece of junk.

I actually contacted ceo@echostar.com and eventually spoke with a representative (Natalie) who asked me if I spoke with customer support. I said no. I said no CS person could fix the issues with the 811's software bugs. She offered to upgrade me to a 942 as a lease... $250 up front and $5 a month. I askeed her ther lease term and she said "as long as I have the receiver". I told her I alway buy my gear and she said it was $700 to buy?!?

Needless to say, I am not too happy with Dish's 811. After 18 months of firmware changes, it is still a piece of junk. I don't think it can be fixed.

Keith, I think I've had some of the same problems you've had. When I am listening to sound through the Optical Output I can sometimes change the channel and it will give off a loud tone noise. If i change the channel sometimes it will stop but not before it scares the holy sh*t out of me.

There is no reason to believe that 3.30 will be the last update for the 811.

Although be careful what you wish for in hoping for another software update.

I rarely get the no info screen, but when I select an HD channel and then go back to the guide, all of the EPG info comes back.

I've gotten the occasional loud white noise on the DD audio, but no "tone" noise, which would be worse than white noise. Changing channels clears this up.

The 942's price was $999 and was reduced to $699, I believe a year or so ago. The offers you got of $250 lease or $700 purchase are their standard prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts