Next DISH Satellite Launch Delayed?

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yesterdays launch failure puts the launch date of AMC-14 in doubt for this year.

ILS 2007

Delay shouldn't be as long as the Sea Launch delay (which will end up being about 8 months) as there was no damage to the launch facility, and the Proton is a proven launch vehicle.

But I can easily see 4-6 months before the review board gets its findings and can check the inventory of Proton vehicles for similar problems.

Not good to have 2 accidents in one year - it certanly will set many plans back a bit.

Yesterdays launch failure puts the launch date of AMC-14 in doubt for this year.

ILS 2007

Delay shouldn't be as long as the Sea Launch delay (which will end up being about 8 months) as there was no damage to the launch facility, and the Proton is a proven launch vehicle.

But I can easily see 4-6 months before the review board gets its findings and can check the inventory of Proton vehicles for similar problems.

Not good to have 2 accidents in one year - it certanly will set many plans back a bit.

I wonder what one of those babies cost and how much they had to shell out to get it up there (or not get it up there??)

But there was no earth-shattering kaboom! If you are going to have a launch failure on an unmanned missle, you need to have a spectacular earth-shattering kaboom! :D

I guess it was just a thud...kind of like the same thud sound that was made when the ax fell on the insurance underwriter that wrote the policy on this launch.

See ya
Tony

Echostar is just lucky their satellite was not the one on the rockets when they malfunctioned. It is one thing to have your launch delayed a few months, than to have your satellite that takes 2 years to build be the one destroyed.

Atleast AMC 14 is only leased by E*, not owned by E*.

If AMC 14 blows up Charlie is not out the money for a new bird. (at least the last 4 birds have been self-insured)

I wonder if Echostar carries launch insurance. I know they no longer insure the actual satellites ever since E4 failed and they spent so much time and money on legal battles to get the satellite replaced.

I wonder if Echostar carries launch insurance. I know they no longer insure the actual satellites ever since E4 failed and they spent so much time and money on legal battles to get the satellite replaced.

I don't think it matters in the case of AMC 14. AMC14 is owned by SES Americom. E* is leasing the bird.

While E* would lose the capacity that AMC14 would provide, I highly doubt E* would have to pay for the bird if it blew up.

I would assume that the lease between SES Americom and E* requires a successful launch and in-orbit delivery.

I don't think it matters in the case of AMC 14. AMC14 is owned by SES Americom. E* is leasing the bird.

While E* would lose the capacity that AMC14 would provide, I highly doubt E* would have to pay for the bird if it blew up.

I would assume that the lease between SES Americom and E* requires a successful launch and in-orbit delivery.
And SES Americom will get the cost of their insurance back from Echostar over time, following that successful launch.

Could be worse for ILS than you think. Kazakhstan has already threatened to ban Proton launches in the past.

BTW, there's a video of second stage separation over at Nasaspaceflight.com.

What is this why is E* using the French? I remember seeing on SOUTHPARK that the Mexicans will launch a Whale to the moon for 200.00 American Dollers. GEO SYNC is much closer then the moon could get away with 100. or 150. Why waste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)