fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
Time to start digging again and plant the 8 foot KTI I got at a public auction:

dish1.jpg

For my 10 footer, I built a rebar cage with J bolts buried in concrete. I plan on doing the same with 1 inch j-bolts as that's the way the pole it came with is setup:
bolts.jpg

Fastenal is great for large j-bolts such as these. Ground shipping only takes about 4 days.
My 10 footer is a triple setup, 97W, 101W, 105W. This 8 footer is probably going to be a dual setup pointed at 99W and 103W and stationary.

More pictures to come this weekend of the rebar cage, then the hole.

Looks like a great start Fred!!

Reactions: fred555
You name your holes ?:biggrin

That's pretty funny! I don't name my holes but I'm sure others may name their own holes..
But it sure was a pretty hole before the concrete went in.

Fixed it. I'm a little exhausted and not spelling correctly today!

Got the pole painted and installed:
polekti.jpg

Anybody have any tips on KTI assembly? I don't like the way the mesh looks like it wont stay in.
I may safety wire them around the ribs. A piece of wire through adjacent pieces of mesh.
I can see heavy snow or wind blowing them right out.

What the best way to start? Ribs to center notched disk then the big heavy center ring, then mesh, then ring that goes around outside end of ribs?

Reactions: JFOK
I think Id rather have both testicles yanked out with a pair of pliers than ever have to assemble a KTI!

Slow going and will probably die a death of the thousands of cuts I have right now!

No hints on how assemble this monstrosity of inept engineering?

Never owned one....but your testicles yanked out!!! :eeek
Must be bad. I had to repair a missing panel on mine and after getting like 50 micro cuts went to gloves, but they seemed too bulky so went back to no gloves and torture. :D

Ok I'm back.
I just think I've been spoiled by my Quadstar.

First hint: Completely disassemble. I carried it home in sections just small enough to fit in my trailer.
Thats OK just disassemble it after you get it home. It seems to be OK to leave the intermediate supports
wired to the mesh. Do not try to assemble in sections, not going to work out very well.
As I found out earlier.

1 Find a table, more on why a table in a minute. Set the polar ring in the center and place a 2x4 under the side that it will flop over to. It is pretty level now. I have the pole mount separated from the ring right now.

2. Find the thin sheet metal plate and some ribs. Slide a rib into the thin plate and then shove the rib into the mounting tabs on the polar ring. Put a rib on the opposite side. Make sure the bolt holes for the center plate on the plate match up with the ones on the polar ring. Now place a weight in the center as the ribs
are unbalanced at this point and the outside ends will want to fall.

3. After all the ribs are on and slid into the sheet metal plate as far as they will go, loosely bolt the ribs to the polar ring.

4. Find the center plate. Remove the weight and bolt the center plate down. Tighten the bolts that hold the ribs to the polar ring.

Going back out to to these steps now:

5. Get all the panels slid into the slots in the ribs. The reason for the table is you cant easily reach the bolts for the intermediate supports by reaching in from the outside. You kind of have to do it from underneath. Tighten all the intermediate support to rib bolts, or wait until the outer ring is on.

6. Bolt on the outer ring in sections and attach joining plates. Tighten all the bolts.

7. At this point the dish will be mostly assembled. Have to wait another day for help to get it completed.

Reactions: KE4EST
Good instructions Fred. Bookmarked the above post. :)

One word - Mechanics gloves! Not very bulky. I have all the mesh in now and not a single cut or blood.

meshin.jpg

Mesh is in really good shape, a few bowed spots here and there , but not bad.
Going back out to attach the outer ring then call it quits til I get a helper to put it on the pole.

Another positive is this is the first time I measured the dish and its actually an 8.5 '.
Part No. CKD-8.5 I believe.

It looked sort of big once I got the mesh in. At least its not a 7.5, whew!

Reactions: KE4EST and Jason S
I have a Laser CKU dish made like that. The mesh panels are fastened to the edge of the outer ring with a rubber moulding with steel inside to hold the form.
LaserCKU 003.JPG

I have a Laser CKU dish made like that. The mesh panels are fastened to the edge of the outer ring with a rubber moulding with steel inside to hold the form.

My ribs and outer ring are aluminum. The mesh just sits in the slots. Ive heard stories about wind blowing out panels on KTIs. I am going to get some non-corrosive wire and tie the panels in.

Many installers have used a dab of adhesive (caulk) in the channel every 16 - 24". This holds the panels in place, yet allows disassembly if necessary. Usually we would first loosely assemble the ribs to the ring then wearing gloves, insert the panels. Easiest with two people.

Got the dish off the table and on the pole this week in anticipation of a hurricane coming:

twins.jpg

Thinking this one will be 99W and 103W, its big brother is 97W, 101W and 105W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)