Next wave of high-def adopters could help HD DVD

Yeah main stream shoppers (not die hards) are going to decide this.

Just look at the Wii/360/PS3 war. The Wii is spanking the other 2. Pisses off hard core players to. LOL.

The same people who buy $400 Visio's will buy $100 HD-DVD players and then the media for it.

Simple supply demand curve. Nothing special about it.

TDG notes that among HDTV Intenders who say they are likely to purchase an accompanying high-def player in the next six months, 43% prefer HD DVD, 27% prefer Blu-ray and 30% remain undecided.

Bad News for BluRay

well, like stated, it's all about price.

HD-DVD players are cheaper and not only by $50.

HD-DVD media is generally cheaper in the areas I shop. Exclusive titles are sometimes pricier, but WB HD-DVD are generally cheaper then BD. Harry Potter being the example today except at walmart where pricing is even. Generally, I am seeing HD-DVD's of Harry Potter a few bucks cheaper.

HD-DVD is intuitive naming for the un-informed and even my father who could care less about it knows what HD-DVD is and what it means.

Edit:
Well now that I see the samsung 1400 is only $269, the price gap is ALMOST $50, but too bad for BD IMO that the entry level player price wise for them is possibly one of the most embattled ones bugs and functionality wise.

But how will these mass consumer shoppers feel once they are fully aware of which titles are in which formats? I wonder if that was part of the equation in the survey conducted by the marketing research company? Will they return their cheaper HD-DVD players when they see no Disney or Spiderman films are available to them.

If the next group is driven by price, and maybe limited budgets, then they might not even worry about HD DVD/BD and spend their limeted $'s on HD services from their cable or DBS provider.

If the article is about LOW Price watchers. then what is the diffrence between a $400 PS3 and $400 BR player.

I Fail to see the diffrence.

There is none. the same people who buy a Wii because it is $150 less than the PS3 will buy a $100 HD-DVD player.

Why , because they are separate purchases, The average consumer does not want to throw $400 at a single system at one purchase point.

This is the market the Xbox 360 Live arcade SKU is targeted at. Sony still doesn't have a system in this range. (and because of Blue Ray may not for a few years yet, Hell they are bleeding bad offering the $400 sku). Least MS and Nintendo are turning a profit on their offerings.

HD-DVD media is generally cheaper in the areas I shop. Exclusive titles are sometimes pricier, but WB HD-DVD are generally cheaper then BD. Harry Potter being the example today except at walmart where pricing is even. Generally, I am seeing HD-DVD's of Harry Potter a few bucks cheaper.

I'd be very curious where you're seeing that. I've looked at 6-7 different places (at least), online and in stores, and the HP discs were exactly the same price on both formats at every single one. In fact, pretty much all Warner titles are the same, except for some places where HD Combo titles were selling for MORE than their BD counterpart.

I'd be very curious where you're seeing that. I've looked at 6-7 different places (at least), online and in stores, and the HP discs were exactly the same price on both formats at every single one. In fact, pretty much all Warner titles are the same, except for some places where HD Combo titles were selling for MORE than their BD counterpart.

We Are Marshall was a whopping $10 more on HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. It believe it still outsold Blu-Ray that week. The #1 Warner title on Blu-Ray that week was Troy: DC. Gamers! :rolleyes:

Harry Potter is the first day and date in quite some time to be the same price on HD-DVD as well as Blu-Ray. Pan's Labyrinth should be next! (The effing thing already aired on Cinemax. It should be priced as a catalog.)

Sorry, I had numerous problems posting last night (took forever at times and many double posts). I meant to edit this post to say where I saw it at.

What I saw at a couple places (Target and Meijer) was that the older HP discs on BD were $26 and HD-DVD were $24. Again Walmart was 18.96 on both formats for all old releases.
Lastest HP was $29 for both formats at all stores.

This might have been a 1 day thing though as I went back to Target today for some other stuff and all the HP movies were priced equally. Could have even been a store error. These were in-store prices and at target they had the little flag on them as being on sale. I haven't been back to meijer and I was surprised they even had them in HD-DVD as they only sell BD on their website and usually only carry a few older HD-DVD's in store. They do have plenty of BD's though and most are overpriced older releases. But I did manage to get a few of the Paramount releases on BD when no one else had any left. :)

In general though, at every places I shop locally for HD media (walmart, target, meijer) HD-DVD's are GENERALLY cheaper. Not an across the board thing. Combo's usually come in at $27-$29, HD-DVD only around $24. BD's are generally $26-$29 with some being $24.
Older releases on HD-DVD are $14-$19 and on BD, usually $18-$24.

Another example I have of a dual release, albeit an older one, is Polar Express. Locally I can get it on HD-DVD for $18, but BD is $24.
Also Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: HD-DVD re-release (not combo) is $21 and BD is $24.
We are Marshall is a combo and is $29 locally HD-DVD and $26 BD for me, not the $10 difference some see. I do know that some stores seem to price the combo's above $30 though

Last edited:
Sorry, I had numerous problems posting last night (took forever at times and many double posts). I meant to edit this post to say where I saw it at.

What I saw at a couple places (Target and Meijer) was that the older HP discs on BD were $26 and HD-DVD were $24. Again Walmart was 18.96 on both formats for all old releases.
Lastest HP was $29 for both formats at all stores.

This might have been a 1 day thing though as I went back to Target today for some other stuff and all the HP movies were priced equally. Could have even been a store error. These were in-store prices and at target they had the little flag on them as being on sale. I haven't been back to meijer and I was surprised they even had them in HD-DVD as they only sell BD on their website and usually only carry a few older HD-DVD's in store. They do have plenty of BD's though and most are overpriced older releases. But I did manage to get a few of the Paramount releases on BD when no one else had any left. :)

In general though, at every places I shop locally for HD media (walmart, target, meijer) HD-DVD's are GENERALLY cheaper. Not an across the board thing. Combo's usually come in at $27-$29, HD-DVD only around $24. BD's are generally $26-$29 with some being $24.
Older releases on HD-DVD are $14-$19 and on BD, usually $18-$24.

Another example I have of a dual release, albeit an older one, is Polar Express. Locally I can get it on HD-DVD for $18, but BD is $24.
Also Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: HD-DVD re-release (not combo) is $21 and BD is $24.
We are Marshall is a combo and is $29 locally HD-DVD and $26 BD for me, not the $10 difference some see. I do know that some stores seem to price the combo's above $30 though

Someone in your area must be an HD-DVD backer, then, because all of the titles you mentioned are the same price on both formats in my area, at all of the same stores you mentioned. You may see different prices on different titles (I still think BD is generally cheaper), but I've never seen a difference in price on a Warner title that was released in both formats, unless the HD version was a combo.

One of the problems with this story is that it is inaccurate. With the Samsung BD1400 selling for $299 at most places and with the strong rumor that Sony is going to drop the S300 BD player to $299 -- HD-DVD is not going to have the lower prices all to themselves. In fact, I believe that this is the first step in BD matching HD-DVD on lower cost players. Once this happens when the average J6P walks into the store and decides with mama which player to get it will be Disney for the kids that will push them in a particular direction.

I have been saying for the last 3 months that BD was going to start matching low prices from the HD-DVD crowd and now they have. Lets see how long HD-DVD maintains that standalone lead into 2008. My funky crystball says that if BD continues to match HD-DVD on low prices that by summer BD will be leading in the standalone sales.

Again with the Disney. All Disney has gotten BD is 2-1 with 8-1 install lead.

The install lead has dropped to like 3.6:1. 2.7 million vs. 750k.

The bottom line is that if all studios were neutral, Blu-Ray (not HD) would be on life support. Can't depend on a gaming machine to sell movies.

We Are Marshall on HD-DVD was $34.95 at Fry's vs. $25.95 for Blu. That's $9 opposed to $10, but significant. There's a $5 difference in the MSRP's. The Blu-Ray copy was only $3 more than the DVD. I shook my head and thought Warner must either love or hate HD-DVD. Several Blu fanboys were there and commenting on the price. They laughed. I said, "Netflix!"

One of the problems with this story is that it is inaccurate. With the Samsung BD1400 selling for $299 at most places and with the strong rumor that Sony is going to drop the S300 BD player to $299 -- HD-DVD is not going to have the lower prices all to themselves. In fact, I believe that this is the first step in BD matching HD-DVD on lower cost players. Once this happens when the average J6P walks into the store and decides with mama which player to get it will be Disney for the kids that will push them in a particular direction.

I have been saying for the last 3 months that BD was going to start matching low prices from the HD-DVD crowd and now they have. Lets see how long HD-DVD maintains that standalone lead into 2008. My funky crystball says that if BD continues to match HD-DVD on low prices that by summer BD will be leading in the standalone sales.

How is the article not accurate? It says there is a $100 price gap between HD-DVD and Blu Ray players. The cheapest Blu Ray player (as you note) is $299. The cheapest HD-DVD player is $199. I've done the math several times and every time I get a $100 price difference. It seems the article is accurate to me.

How is the article not accurate? It says there is a $100 price gap between HD-DVD and Blu Ray players. The cheapest Blu Ray player (as you note) is $299. The cheapest HD-DVD player is $199. I've done the math several times and every time I get a $100 price difference. It seems the article is accurate to me.

Since the average consumer wouldn't know the difference (and there probably isn't much of one to most of us, either), Blu-Ray needs to release a 1080i or 720p only player to compete with the A2 and the Venturer on price. Otherwise it's not really a fair comparison.

The bottom line is that if all studios were neutral, Blu-Ray (not HD) would be on life support.

The bottom line is that there is absolutely no way to substantiate that statement. None of us has a clue what the market would look like if all studios were neutral. Never mind the fact that the one studio that is neutral sells more on BD....

The bottom line is that there is absolutely no way to substantiate that statement. None of us has a clue what the market would look like if all studios were neutral. Never mind the fact that the one studio that is neutral sells more on BD....

Ceteris Paribus = Latin for All things being equal

Basic principle of economics. To make sense of the larger picture you have to simplify it first.

So in all honesty you would have to make a assumption or two and best guess this situation.

least if you wanna do it the way economics teaches us to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)