NextWave Navigator NCC500 Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tried fine tuning and that seemed to do nada.

You have to sit directly in front of the box and keep the button depressed. If you push and let go it doesn't move at all. It took me a long time of a very fuzzy screen to figure this out. Also it goes slow when there is a signal and slow when then is none.

When you're talking about "keeping the button depressed", are you referring to the fine tune buttons and/or skew buttons on the remote? If so, I know I did that because I saw the polarity come up on the screen and level increase or decrease after pressing (and holding) up and then down. By the way, I know last Saturday that I picked up at least one analog feed with a decent picture and minimal "snow".

When you're talking about "keeping the button depressed", are you referring to the fine tune buttons and/or skew buttons on the remote? If so, I know I did that because I saw the polarity come up on the screen and level increase or decrease after pressing (and holding) up and then down. By the way, I know last Saturday that I picked up at least one analog feed with a decent picture and minimal "snow".

I was referring to the fine tuning. I am glad you figured it out because for the longest time I thought the fine tuning didn't work. Right now I am not plumb so I focus on sbs6 they haven't had feeds up when I had time to play with it. I had a picture for 5 minutes but the feed ended. There was a "channel 3" news feed today that really confounded me. It was as if the there was a grey film moving across the screen. Any button I pushed gave me a clear screen for a moment. They back to a dark picture. I "Fine tuned" through the whole signal and never found a sweet spot. I expect there to be a game there tomorrow at 8pm EST probably the feed will start an hour before. Anyway it should be the first time I have time and a signal for an extend time. My fingers are crossed.

Do you have the "Actuator error-no counts" message? thats kind of bothersome and if it is trying to move a dish it might account somehow for my grey screen.

Does your front panel work?

With everybody purchasing these we ought to start the NCC500 support group thread. We can start every message with "Hello my name in Mark, and I have a NCC500"

Thanks

I've seen that grey film you described moving across the screen. Pretty annoying!

And, yes, I've gotten that "Actuator error-no counts" message, too. That's also annoying!

My front panel DOES work, but it's not like it has helped me in mastering this product!

1. if it is an analog reciever, then yes it vcan be used to get analog feeds
2. yes. The analog will only get the same polarity as the Fortec is on
3. honestly I've never heard of it. Most analog recievers are about the same in its limited use (for analog feeds being slaved)

On number 2- If one is in the setup menu and has it on a Horizontal Polarity that is enough to get the H transpoders..right?

Ok, mine arrived today. It is slaved off of my Fortec. I am sending it H polarity.

I am getting channels on AMC2.

How can I manually tune to a frequency. For example, if I just wanted to go to 11820 H, how would I do that? Or does that convert to a "channel number"?

Thanks

the frequency is normally in the channel number. The list is posted in this thread how they are set up.

Ok, mine arrived today. It is slaved off of my Fortec. I am sending it H polarity.

I am getting channels on AMC2.

How can I manually tune to a frequency. For example, if I just wanted to go to 11820 H, how would I do that? Or does that convert to a "channel number"?

Thanks

I couldn't manage to hit amc 2, maybe there wasn't anything active when I tried.

In the first setup you have to activate at least one pre-set satellite. You get to that screen by pushing and holding the pgm button when the reciever is off. I just chose to set them all up on default. I am only using 2 one is labed sbs6 the other is GE something doesn't really matter. You can flip through the channels until you are close to where you want to be (freq shows up on the bottom of the screen). By pushing and holding the fine tune buttons you can change the TP freq.

Success! I had previously just used the skew buttons on the remote and didn't really notice the fine tune buttons until Moseley mentioned 'em. Was able to pull up the 24/7 test card of EchoStar on AMC15 @ 105W on Transponder 12. A couple new questions: How come the picture is so snowy? And is this test card on vertical or horizontal polarity? I have the Fortec Mercury II on horizontal polarity and didn't know if the EchoStar test card was really a vertical transponder thus maybe explaining the snowy picture?

Success! I had previously just used the skew buttons on the remote and didn't really notice the fine tune buttons until Moseley mentioned 'em. Was able to pull up the 24/7 test card of EchoStar on AMC15 @ 105W on Transponder 12. A couple new questions: How come the picture is so snowy? And is this test card on vertical or horizontal polarity? I have the Fortec Mercury II on horizontal polarity and didn't know if the EchoStar test card was really a vertical transponder thus maybe explaining the snowy picture?

I can't get rid of my grey haze.

Also the game I was watching was on the wrong transpoder. I tried where it was supose to be and there was snow. I found it flipping through. If there a reset somewhere? maybe I just need to start over. Maybe I did something wrong in set up. all in all it is very frustrating

As Ice previously mentioned in this thread, SBS6 goes in different steps than the other birds. However, I've found that as long as your slaved receiver is on the correct polarity, you should be able to find the game (even if it's not on the same transponder, as in the case of SBS6) with a little fine tuning. Another option, as Ice had suggested, is to program SBS6 into your receiver so that the steps are correct. I might try that or just stick with what I have which is working fine now although I'd like to eliminate the snow that appears some times.

As Ice previously mentioned in this thread, SBS6 goes in different steps than the other birds. However, I've found that as long as your slaved receiver is on the correct polarity, you should be able to find the game (even if it's not on the same transponder, as in the case of SBS6) with a little fine tuning. Another option, as Ice had suggested, is to program SBS6 into your receiver so that the steps are correct. I might try that or just stick with what I have which is working fine now although I'd like to eliminate the snow that appears some times.

I had it slaved correctly on the correct polarity. I had it on the correct setting and there was nothing there. However It did appear at a much higher transponder with the horizontal hold/gray haze that only disappeared if I held a button down. Next time I'll try it without slaving it and see what happens. Any other ideas what I can try?

Seems that they have to set a minimum offer that will be accepted, as I tried $15 for the US Legacy boxes he also has for sale and it came right up as declined. So, if it doesn't do that, I'm guessing you will get later notification that it was accepted. I tried $15, $16, $17 and they all were auto declined. Then it says I can't make anymore offers on that item. So then I tried $5 for another Nextwave, that auto declined, but $10 went through and said my offer would be considered. So his minimum might be $10 or it might be something between $5 and $10.

Some of the US Legacy Receivers were rebadged Drake receivers..... which were top of line in those days. The only problem I had with any of the Ultra's I installed was the battery in the bottom of the receiver would leak when it was old.

BryanSR

Last edited:
Well a Nextwave just shwed up at my door today. Haven't had any time to do anything with it yet, but it looks good for an analog receiver, not as big as the typical analog box and the Videocipher board goes into the side instead of the back. The remote batteries were corroded in the package, shows how long these have been collecting dust. :D Oh yeah, the T shirt was actually in the box too. :) Hope to run this thing through its paces in the next few days.

Hi guys has you can see this is my first post here , But by reading all the post it seen we all got a NextWave Navigator NCC500 from the same seller . My receiver arrive November 15 and in less that 24 hour i was up and running also got a Pansat FTA working with it .But what i don't like is it does not have front panel display # . Do any off you knows if i put the front panel light display # will it work ? because i notice the light # display are missing .:hungry:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts