Nexus-S/Skystar1 PCI card question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dataless

Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Nexus-S not working in new ABIT AA8XE board!

Overall this card is definitely the cream of the crop, I've never had any problems using the Nexus-S and it performs flawlessly.[/QUOTE]

I have a new 3.8 P4, ABIT AA8XE board with a PCIex graphic card.
I cant get the Nexus -S card to work properly using ProgDVB.
In soft mode, I bit part of a picture, but no sound. I have updated the BIOS, Chip set drivers, DirextX 9.c and still have the problem. On my older P3 800 mhz computer, the Nexus -S card worked perfectly.
Any ideas on how to solve my new problem?
I'm running under WindowsXP SP2 and in 16-BIT mode.
The Nexus card is ver 2.2
Thanks for your thoughts!

could the card be in PAL mode? it seems not to even be working at all when in PAL until you switch to NTSC. just a thought anyway.

There are known problems with some revisions of the Nexus card working alongside PCI-x cards expecially on Intel 925 chipsets.
Try going into your BIOS and increasing the latency on the PCI bus.

I'm running a Nexus 2.2 on the same chipset as you and I'm having no problems.

I have a patch that may work, it's a simple registry entry.
Use this at your own risk, if it hoses your system you should be able to rollback to where you were before you applied the patch - ie: I'm not responsible etc etc.

Try the BIOS latency first, then this:
http://www.watchersnet.de/tools/PciLatencyTimer.zip
Let me know if that works.

GutBomb said:
could the card be in PAL mode? it seems not to even be working at all when in PAL until you switch to NTSC. just a thought anyway.
Thanks for the info. I have tried both modes, PAL and NTSC. Currently, I'm in the NTSC mode.

Cascade said:
There are known problems with some revisions of the Nexus card working alongside PCI-x cards expecially on Intel 925 chipsets.
Try going into your BIOS and increasing the latency on the PCI bus.

I'm running a Nexus 2.2 on the same chipset as you and I'm having no problems.

I have a patch that may work, it's a simple registry entry.
Use this at your own risk, if it hoses your system you should be able to rollback to where you were before you applied the patch - ie: I'm not responsible etc etc.

Try the BIOS latency first, then this:

Let me know if that works.
Thanks for the input. I tried the BIOS first, with different settings. Still no luck. Then I installed the patch and re-booted the computer. No change.
What motherboard do you have? I was told the ASUS and Gigabite boards work okay with the Nexus -S cards.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again for all the input/Help!

After problems with Abit and Gigabyte in the past I only use Intel boards, I'm running a D925XECV2 right now.
Not much is the way of overclocking but they're stable as a rock.

Try updating your graphics drivers or try this Nexus driver:
http://members.cox.net/cascade/KS_WDM_Driver.rar

If all else fails try emailing Abit for a BIOS update, it's a definite incompatibility problem with some boards. Gigabyte have already released a BIOS update to address the issue.

After problems with Abit and Gigabyte in the past I only use Intel boards, I'm running a D925XECV2 right now.
Not much is the way of overclocking but they're stable as a rock.

I think I will just order the D925XECV2 board to fix my current problems.
ABIT is not going to fix my problem. Spent 1 hour Friday with Tech. support discussing the problem. Not impressed with there Tech. support staff.

Also, what type PCIex graphic card do you have? Mine is the Radeon X700.

Thanks for the help!

Intel board status.

Okay, I order the Intel board (The same one you have that works.) and replaced my ABIT motherboard last night. After re-installing the files for the DVB-S card, I'am still not able to get the new board to work. No picture.
I upgraded this BIOS to the latest ver, still nothing. What am I missing?
Any suggestions would be great at this point. I thought this was a motherboard/BIOS problem with ABIT, but now I dont know. i have tried different settings in the BIOS, but still not able to get hardware mode to work. software mode will work, but still have the audio out of synk issue.
What Video card do you have?? Could this be the issue? I have updated the drivers for mine also.
Thanks for the help!

Funny story, I sent back the Intel board 2 weeks ago, the audio atarted cutting out so I got a refund from Chiefvalue.
I'm waiting on the 955 chipset boards to make an appearance before I order a replacement.

It seems strange that it's not working on your new board either, Mine worked 100% in software and hardware mode, my GFX card is a Radeon 800xl.
Which slot do you have your Nexus in? In the slot closest to the edge of the board is where I had mine.
When you say you're running XP in 16bit mode do you mean colour-depth?

Does this new MB give you a picture with the card? If so have you gone though the sound setup and all? Is there an auto out on the Sat card to connect to stereo?

Dataless said:
Okay, I order the Intel board (The same one you have that works.) and replaced my ABIT motherboard last night. After re-installing the files for the DVB-S card, I'am still not able to get the new board to work. No picture.
I upgraded this BIOS to the latest ver, still nothing. What am I missing?
Any suggestions would be great at this point. I thought this was a motherboard/BIOS problem with ABIT, but now I dont know. i have tried different settings in the BIOS, but still not able to get hardware mode to work. software mode will work, but still have the audio out of synk issue.
What Video card do you have?? Could this be the issue? I have updated the drivers for mine also.
Thanks for the help!

Cascade and ken2400,
I was told to run the Display Properties-Settings-Color Quality (Medium (16 bit) for proper display in ProgDVB. What's new with this MB is in hardware mode, I now get the channel display where as before, there was nothing displayed on the screen. In software mode, I get the display and sound but they are still out of sync. The audi out on the sound card has the same sound as the build-in audio from the desktop speakers. My Nesus -S card is
in the PCI Connector 1 slot next to the PCI Express x16 video slot. I have also tried different sound settings, but nothing has worked. Did you setup the BIOS differently or change any settings to make the Nexsus card work properly? Still fishing... Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)