NFL draft

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So Salsa but ESPN seems to contradict your assertion that this is a deep draft.

The excerpt below was taken from a mock draft found on their site at the following address:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2848586

Moderator: The Ravens are on the clock, but first we have a question from Pete in Iowa City ... Hey Len, just a general question. Overall, is this considered a strong draft, weak, somewhere in the middle?

Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com senior NFL writer: Pretty much in the middle, pete. There is some depth at certain positions, but it's not generally viewed as a great draft.

Jimbo, I got to agree about the Lions very offensive line. I believe a football team is built from the inside out. Trading Johnson would bring more help to the Lions then adding another WR. Interesting that the teams drafting first and second lead their respective conferences in QB sacks allowed. Personnaly, my draft wishlisy would be Joe Thomas OT, Gaines Adams DE, Patrick Willis MLB. Any of these 3 can be had at a lower spot in the draft, with the addition of another pick or player. Any of the 3 go a longer way to addressing more important needs. Johnson is a very special player, but he will only touch the ball 5 - 7 times a game, and last time I checked Williams led the league in receiving yrds. and Furrey led the league in receptions. Throwing the ball wasn't a problem here, but scoring TDs when we were inside the 20, certainly was. No blocking, no running. The defense is a whole nother story. No pass rush, a hole at middle LB, and a secondary that has an opening left by the departed Dre Bly, the other corner manned by the forever injured Fernando Bryant. Come to think about it, how did we manage to even win 3 games last year?

THE DETROIT LIONS - - REBUILDING SINCE 1957!
I'm not blaming Barry Sanders but I do think he is some of the reason their O line is so bad. When he was there the offensive line just wasnt that important. He didnt need a hole and they never learned to block nor did the staff care to draft good linemen. The faces have changed since then, but apparently the personnel and line coaching is still bad.

So Salsa but ESPN seems to contradict your assertion that this is a deep draft.

The excerpt below was taken from a mock draft found on their site at the following address:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2848586

Moderator: The Ravens are on the clock, but first we have a question from Pete in Iowa City ... Hey Len, just a general question. Overall, is this considered a strong draft, weak, somewhere in the middle?

Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com senior NFL writer: Pretty much in the middle, pete. There is some depth at certain positions, but it's not generally viewed as a great draft.

Well....ONE guy says not....and he doesn't even say...he says 'so-so'. I go take EVERYTHING litterally.....how many predicted your QB would be a stud?? And how many LOVE Akili Smith?? Hell, all the big names thought Rick Mirer was the 2nd coming of Montana......I almost have as many TD passes as he does....:rolleyes:

Hell, THEY thought MY boy Robert Gallery WAS 'possibly the best player in the draft'...I love Robert, he has been play out of position since he came to the Raiders.....but he has look MORE and MORE Tony Mandrich than Gene Upshaw....

I'm not blaming Barry Sanders but I do think he is some of the reason their O line is so bad. When he was there the offensive line just wasnt that important. He didnt need a hole and they never learned to block nor did the staff care to draft good linemen. The faces have changed since then, but apparently the personnel and line coaching is still bad.

IF Barry ever had a hole to run thru, he would ..... every so often you would see him break one for 70-80 yards, that was the few times that they actually gave him a hole to run thru !

Paul,
For some reason the Lions want to take Gaines Adams, I just don't see it.. I would much rather have Johnson, because I think then we would have 3 capable recievers for a change.
If not Johnson, I would take Joe Thomas .

Q. If Johnson IS gone, would the Lions take Russell ?
I'm not saying they should, just asking the question.

Jimbo

I've often wondered what Barry's numbers would have bben if he ran behind Dallas' line or Denver's. You are right about Adams. He seems to be the rumored choice. I still believe they will trade Johnson's rights down to take him. I would prefer Thomas also, but they have 3 or 4 right tackles (trades and free agents ) on the roster already. If Johnson is gone, Russel is the no-brainer pick. If they don't want him, his rights will bring as much if not more than Johnson in a trade. I still believe this team would benefit more from two quality players, than one over - the - top WR. Just too many needs. Even this seems fool proof, nobody has a fool like Millen. I hope he doesn't f**k this up. If they can't get good quality for the second pick, I could live with Johnson or Russell.

Jimbo, here's another scenario for you to ponder. What if Oakland takes Brady Quinn with their pick? The Lions could trade down twice. The first trade would be with Cleveland (they would want Russell), then we would take Johnson and then auction him off to the highest bidder. We could fill four holes with that many picks. OR- - - Millen could totally f**k it all up. HA, HA , HA!

THE DETROIT LIONS - - REBUILDING SINCE 1957!

Well, with the 1st round Pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select :
Calvin Johnson, WR GT.

And HAVE NOT TRADED HIM AS OF YET !!!!!

Look for them to possibly take a QB in rd 2.

Jimbo

That makes 4 WR's in the past 5 years for the Lions. Hope this one turns out better than two of the others. The only real addition at WR was Roy Williams. From what everybody is saying about Calvin, I would really hate to see Detroit get rid of him. Since I don't want to see him traded they will probably do it by the end of the day.

That makes 4 WR's in the past 5 years for the Lions. Hope this one turns out better than two of the others. The only real addition at WR was Roy Williams. From what everybody is saying about Calvin, I would really hate to see Detroit get rid of him. Since I don't want to see him traded they will probably do it by the end of the day.
So the Lions will (Potentially ) have 3 good rec's now, Johnson, Williams and Furry
Make that Roy Williams.

Still need a Offensive line and a QB.
Come to think of it, they will probably take a Defensive player, due to Marinelli wanting his D to get better.

Jimbo

I think that they will be able to get a good QB later in the draft. Not many teams are looking for a QB right now. They could potentially use Mike Williams as some trade bait to help get another pick on day one or a straight addition to the O line.

Edit: From the way it is going Brady Quinn might be available for them in the second round.

someone, please tell me what the fish were thinking when they drafted ginn? not that i'm a fish fan but that might have been the dumbest move they have ever made. and they've made a few!!!

someone, please tell me what the fish were thinking when they drafted ginn? not that i'm a fish fan but that might have been the dumbest move they have ever made. and they've made a few!!!

Maybe they are looking at reuniting Ginn JR and Smith. The would have had to take Ginn early since Smith will be available for quite some time.

Who does Miami use for a return man ????
Is he THAT much better than Ginn.

I think you may see Ginn as a cornerback eventually, he was a stud DB in school.
Any team can use a speed guy, and that he definatly is.

Jimbo

fish draft byu qb john beck in second round. actually, i believe the fish either traded or cut their return man from last season. but ginn going at number 9 when he's still hurt when miami obviously needed a qb. hopefully, it works out for them!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)