NFL game broadcast full 25 seconds behind DirecTV

That's correct. Sunday Ticket not involved. The local NBC affiliate, KPRC, was being received by DirecTV and DISH, with DISH being 25 seconds behind.
I am surprised by that. Is ALL programming 25 seconds behind on Dish? If not, when does the "catch up" happen? You've got to make up that 25 seconds somewhere. Even if Direct is getting the station feed via Fiber and Dish via OTA shouldn't be that much of a difference.

Previously, with normal programming, I've noticed voices barely out of sync but nothing of this magnitude. It's unusual for the TV to be on during our conversations. This time, mine was muted. After his reactions to plays that hadn't happened yet for me, we started comparing the game clock display.

Obvious question, but you are sure you were fully live on your broadcast and hadn't skipped back at some point?

Reactions: JSheridan
This is nothing new with Dish. During the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, the Bruins scored a goal while I was letting my dog out. The whole neighborhood erupted with cheers...drop their houses. Most had Comcast at the time. I then turned to walk into my house when I heard my friends freak out about the same goal.

This is nothing new with Dish. During the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, the Bruins scored a goal while I was letting my dog out. The whole neighborhood erupted with cheers...drop their houses. Most had Comcast at the time. I then turned to walk into my house when I heard my friends freak out about the same goal.
Understandable the difference between satellite and cable. Cable usually gets direct fiber links while satellite needs to send to an uplink center and then encode and beam the signal thousands of miles round trip to/from the satellite. What is surprising is the difference between the two main satellite providers.

Similar story. A friend of mine lives about a mile to a mile and a half from New Era Field. You can hear the crowd and in stadium announcer almost perfectly from his back deck. He has Verizon Fios, and the feed from the local CBS affiliate appears to be roughly 20-25 seconds behind real time. His neighbors behind him have a party every week and it seems we're celebrating TDs, while their still watching the previous play.

This is what I've noticed on cable and DirecTV with my Bills. The NFL ST feed is about 5 seconds (maybe less) ahead of the local Buffalo CBS affiliate (I often have Game Mix on, and toggle between Game Mix and CBS). Game mix is perfectly in sync with all of the dedicated NFL ST channels, so even though the ST feed is still blacked out, I still watch/listen to it via Game Mix. Now on cable, it's about 5 seconds ahead of the Sunday Ticket feed. Now the other part of the equation, is due to a screw up somewhere I guess, one of my DVRs on DirecTV is 'moved' and the other is no longer, I get Buffalo, NY locals in my bedroom on the HR44 and Rochester, NY locals on the HR24 in the living room. The Rochester CBS affiliate is about 10 seconds behind the Buffalo affiliate.

It's really more of the time it takes for the, presumed fiber optic, feed to reach the DMA uplink (it could take more time for that local to reach the DMA Uplink), and then to re-encode that for sending it up to the SAT, and the size of that stream is very relevant to TIME, and then the time involved to decode it at the STB and all find the correct, relevant frames to present the first full picture, and the longer the stream the longer this last step will take while it holds in memory until all the data needed to output to the TV, and a DVR on LIVE TV will delay this even more by a few seconds because we are watching a playback of LIVE TV that requires time to lay down on the HDD and then more time to read that data to playback as LIVE TV on the DVR.

All good points, but it still doesn't explain the vast 25 second difference between DTV and Dish, displaying the exact same LiL affiliate uplinked, encoded, streamed and decoded via similar methods.

I'm watching the Texans vs Colts game on DISH Houston while talking to a friend watching on DirecTV, also Houston. The live telecast is a full 25-26 seconds behind DirecTV.

Could an intentional delay be part of the NFL's deal with DirecTV?

I have directv so I can chime in a bit since I also have ST.

When watching the Red Zone channel they are usually 10-15 seconds ahead of the live games, its weird, I think its more to do with the providers than the channel companies.

No. Just a difference in how long it takes each provider to uplink and process the "local into local" signals. Understand that the signal must be received by the local "pop" unlinked, processed, downlinked, and the uplined again to the sat you actually receive.

I find that DirecTV is about 10 seconds behind watching the same station OTA with an antenna. I also find that that my local OTA is about 15 seconds behind the NFL ST of the same game.

Unless you are gambling in real time or something, what does it matter?
some wagering sites allow in game betting. Such as odds on whether the next play will be a run or pass. Or will the next play result in a first down.
if one has ever played one of those instant lottery games such as the ones offered in New York State, in game betting is equivalent to what my friend calls "electronic crack".
Anyway, yes, there is real time wagering. I don't do it. But it does exist.
also...i have friends who's main occupation is wagering on horse racing. These are large volume players who will wait until the last possible moment to place their wagers. They are watching either via computer on the traxck website or through Dish based Race Track Network( Dish 1000 plus 118.7 orbital slot)..a delay in the video feed can mean the difference between getting in their wager or being shut out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)