“THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL” GAMES OFFERED IN 4K ON FOX

Theres a Huge difference between 720p and 1080p or course, but were talking 720p and 1080i, not 1080p

Exactly. I refuse to fault FOX, ESPN, ABC for going the 720P route. While not definitively better than 1080I in some respects it is and especially for sports. Many in the industry list the pecking order at 4K, 1080P, 720P, 1080I, 480I. I don't understand where this is coming from all of a sudden that those networks somehow took the cheap way out. You might get me to say on the largest of the TV's 1080I might look sharper, but for the vast majority of TV's 720P can look better than 1080I particularly for fast movement.

I have to admit I don't understand how Fox would be getting us a signal in something more than 720P? It would have to be on a special satellite or cable channel because OTA stations certainly can't do it.

Reactions: Jimbo
I never said NBC. As far as I am aware NBC has always been 4k. Golf on Fox has been native 4k as well. They have 20 something cameras in 4K for that, with the exception of a few cameras that are upconverted.

It was reported last year that NBC upconverted the Notre Dame games they show in '4K', and are apparently doing the same again this year.

Wonder why they can do golf in 4K and not football? Though granted the 4K golf is not the "full" event, but will show a few holes instead of the same broadcast they show on FS1.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Streaming thru an app
Exactly. I refuse to fault FOX, ESPN, ABC for going the 720P route. While not definitively better than 1080I in some respects it is and especially for sports. Many in the industry list the pecking order at 4K, 1080P, 720P, 1080I, 480I. I don't understand where this is coming from all of a sudden that those networks somehow took the cheap way out. You might get me to say on the largest of the TV's 1080I might look sharper, but for the vast majority of TV's 720P can look better than 1080I particularly for fast movement.

I have to admit I don't understand how Fox would be getting us a signal in something more than 720P? It would have to be on a special satellite or cable channel because OTA stations certainly can't do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Tampa8
So if both NBC and Fox is upscaling for their '4K' football games, I guess we've never had a true 4K football game yet? What about golf, are the broadcasts Fox has done for golf in 4K also upscaled?

Apparently I was wrong as I got a text this morning. NBC is doing 1080P HDR upscaling as well on football. Yes you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was reported last year that NBC upconverted the Notre Dame games they show in '4K', and are apparently doing the same again this year.

Wonder why they can do golf in 4K and not football? Though granted the 4K golf is not the "full" event, but will show a few holes instead of the same broadcast they show on FS1.

Yes, Im wondering the same thing. The ALCS will be in 4K and not upscaled.

Horrible picture on 105 tonight (Eagles at Packers). It almost looks like an old video tape recording. Quite disappointing.

My local Fox station on DirecTV is MUCH better than the 4K "broadcast". Of course, OTA with my antenna beats both.

Upconverting is fine if you have a high quality TV set ...
Also, if its going to use HDR that itself will in itself make it well worth the effort to watch.

Nope. It's not as good as the normal Fox local station on DirecTV.
It's blurry with any motion. Looks like a bad recording.

Looks good on DirecTV

What provider are u using if D* , try going to your local.fox then back to 105

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks good on DirecTV

What provider are u using if D* , try going to your local.fox then back to 105

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I've gone back and forth quite a few times. 105 is actually difficult to watch with any motion. My settings are right. I've watched golf and college football on the 4K channels....they've been great.

Horrible picture on 105 tonight (Eagles at Packers). It almost looks like an old video tape recording. Quite disappointing.

My local Fox station on DirecTV is MUCH better than the 4K "broadcast". Of course, OTA with my antenna beats both.

Have you tried to tune to channel 206 first and then back to 105 to fix the frame rate bug?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I've gone back and forth quite a few times. 105 is actually difficult to watch with any motion. My settings are right. I've watched golf and college football on the 4K channels....they've been great.
Tune to channel 206 first, than back to 105 to circumvent the frame rate bug.

Reactions: dtv757
I have watched off and on tonight ...
I found it hard to watch as it was choppy from time to time ...
I was bouncing between the local Fox and 105.

Some times it looked fine and others not.

Despite the broadcast not being true 4k I thought it looked outstanding. No issues whatsoever with the PQ.
I did, however experience a periodic black screen.
This lasted a half second to a second and occurred throughout the broadcast.
I witnessed this on two separate displays.
What I did not experience was the freezing/pixillating that I usually experience on all channels.

Reactions: comp9 and dtv757
Guess I'll post this in all 15 threads that have been opened on this broadcast.

Despite the broadcast not being true 4k I thought it looked outstanding. No issues whatsoever with the PQ.
I did, however experience a periodic black screen.
This lasted a half second to a second and occurred throughout the broadcast.
I witnessed this on two separate displays.
What I did not experience was the freezing/pixillating that I usually experience on all channels.

Reactions: comp9
So the audio was awesome on the game but I too had the frame rate bug. Off tuning did nothing. The PQ was pretty bad. Saw several Twitter comments on the same thing.

The FOX Sports app had awesome PQ but horrible audio. I wish they had the 7.1 audio that Directv had. Next week I plan on tuning into the cband feed to see how that looks.

Again, in case you missed it. There is a bug in the client software, if you tune to a 4K channel from a 1080i channel you might see the frame rate problem. To circumvent it first tune to a 720p channel like 206 or 259 and then tune to 105.

Also, it was evident they were upscaling. They should just call up NEP or Mobile TV Group and roll out those golf trucks with 20 4K cameras and do this right!

They said the reason they were upscaling is because it would be very expensive to do the full production in 4K due to the use of stuff like super slo mo. Remember the golf isn't doing the whole event in 4K, they pick a few holes and don't need to worry about stuff like super slo mo which uses special cameras that aren't 4K (some of the fastest ones that capture stuff like the ball compressing against the clubface aren't even color)

I suppose there is little incentive for them to spend a ton of money to do 4K because it isn't going to increase the viewing audience or commercial rates. Nobody is watching an NFL game solely because it is in 4K.

Reactions: goaliebob99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts